DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi for Waypoints?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I only hear good things about Litchi. But I got the M2P with Smart Controller & Go4 app to have a fully compatible, proprietary system. And I'm very satisfied.

But the Waypoints navigation in Go4 has some fatal flaws for my needs. And many have suggested Litchi as the remedy. Specifically, if you fly point to point (not arcs) my test flights resulted in an obvious PAUSE at each waypoint. A killer for video. But if Arc mode is selected, then there can be no preset camera controls. Perhaps there's a workaround? If not, that's it for me on Go4 waypoints mode. Perhaps there are better ways to spec the mission?

OTOH, some who have suggested Litchi also noted issues with Litchi and the Smart Controller. To date I have not had the SC app fail. I did get out of range twice, but that was due to obstacle blocked signal, and was quickly resolved.

So does Litchi rule Waypoints controls (for video)?

Is Litchi dependable with Smart Controller?

Any other major features/flaws unique to Litchi?

Thanks

Just an FYI, if you use curved turns (same as arc, I think) you cannot use any controls at individual waypoints. There may be a workaround but I haven’t found it yet.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I am having trouble understanding why you would want to change camera controls at each waypoint with video?

As for Litchi, it is excellent with waypoints. You can set them up on your PC (every aspect), do a trial run in google earth and then adjust if necessary. Keep going until you have it as you want it. I can't fault it on that aspect at all. Using curves will smooth out the turns and you will end up with lovely smooth video.

If you are doing a run where you want to stop at each waypoint to take photos, it may not do it in the way you would hope, e.g. I wanted to get a number of photos on a run in HDR (bracketed) mode, but it wont do it. Litchi switches to single shot before taking the photo even if you set AEB before the mission. I spoke to Litchi and they suggest that it is a limitation of DJI waypoints, which is what they use as the basis. There is a way around it by getting into position, pause the mission, switch to AEB mode, take the image and then continue the mission.

Overall though, Litchi has transformed my flying and my output.

I am having trouble understanding why you would want to change camera controls at each waypoint with video?

As for Litchi, it is excellent with waypoints. You can set them up on your PC (every aspect), do a trial run in google earth and then adjust if necessary. Keep going until you have it as you want it. I can't fault it on that aspect at all. Using curves will smooth out the turns and you will end up with lovely smooth video.

If you are doing a run where you want to stop at each waypoint to take photos, it may not do it in the way you would hope, e.g. I wanted to get a number of photos on a run in HDR (bracketed) mode, but it wont do it. Litchi switches to single shot before taking the photo even if you set AEB before the mission. I spoke to Litchi and they suggest that it is a limitation of DJI waypoints, which is what they use as the basis. There is a way around it by getting into position, pause the mission, switch to AEB mode, take the image and then continue the mission.

sorry, new to Litchi here,
how do you test run the missions in google earth?
also on the mission hub on my MacBook Pro I am having problems adding new waypoints BETWEEN existing ones and problems deleting existing waypoints? anyone else with same problem?

Thanks for the informative reply. Sounds like Litchi may be the only option for smooth video that passes pre-selected points of interest, etc.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. DJI waypoints forces a long pause at each waypoint. That is a video killer. I have not used the curves mode -but it doesn't allow you to aim the camera, specify the gimbal pitch, use points of interest etc. so that is a second killer flaw.

So it seems Litchi is the way to go. I would only use Waypoints Mode for Video, to plot a smooth course to & around various points of interest in a long continuous take. Do you run Litchi on a DJI Smart Controller? Someone mentioned there might be issues with Litchi & that device-???

sorry, new to Litchi here,
how do you test run the missions in google earth?
also on the mission hub on my MacBook Pro I am having problems adding new waypoints BETWEEN existing ones and problems deleting existing waypoints? anyone else with same problem?

I'm new to Litchi too... about 2 days or so. It can be quirky, but I finally managed to get Litchi to do a virtual flight preview on Google Earth. In addition to Litchi you will need to download Virtual Litchi Mission V2.50. If you Google it, you'll find it, I think in this forum, in someone's dropbox to download. Install that. You'll need Google Pro as well. At first I couldn't get them to jive, but when opening VLM V2.5 it somehow it managed to direct me to flylitchi.com. You will want to create missions on you PC (not your phone) and save them. You can then call them up on the flylitchi website. Once there you'll open a mission and then, hopefully you'll see "Export as VLM". Click that. When that downloads you click on it and it opens Google earth and then you can preview your mission. I don't believe any of this works from missions created on the phone or tablet. This is the one disappointment with Litchi as it appears to be lobotomized in as much as there are things you can do on your phone but not PC, and vice versa. Would be nice if all the devices sync'd. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Horus303
Thanks for the informative reply. Sounds like Litchi may be the only option for smooth video that passes pre-selected points of interest, etc.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. DJI waypoints forces a long pause at each waypoint. That is a video killer. I have not used the curves mode -but it doesn't allow you to aim the camera, specify the gimbal pitch, use points of interest etc. so that is a second killer flaw.

So it seems Litchi is the way to go. I would only use Waypoints Mode for Video, to plot a smooth course to & around various points of interest in a long continuous take. Do you run Litchi on a DJI Smart Controller? Someone mentioned there might be issues with Litchi & that device-???

I’m running litchi on a smart controller. Only three or four flights as of now but haven’t had a problem with functionality. I am still getting acquainted with all the features of litchi though but I second you in the idea of using it for smooth videos. Once I got the hang of using POIs and camera transitions between them it yielded better results.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
So where's the video?
If you insist;)
Obviously still need some work on camera angle on the top of the tower but not bad for first trials for a complete newbie like me!
Also just uploaded to YouTube so may take a while until the full resolution 4K is available.
Feedback welcome.

Reactions: Facherty and zeusfl
Here's another example:
Very compelling. Litchi certainly knocks out DJI for waypoint flying/video. A few transitions were somewhat abrupt, but could perhaps be ironed out by tweaking the wpts. Might be nice tp try again at "Golden Hour" as it's all about the LIGHT.

Spectacular location. If that was here it would be all graffiti, fire damage, and bullet holes. What's better than crumbling architecture!

forgive this prior parrot user and newb to the marvels of the dji products, i just acquired my first dji drone a 1st gen mavic air and so far am pleased ,but i didnt read up on it enough before realizing the dji products main source of mobile tech is apple which i detest, im a thoroughbred android user and see im hobbled in many aspects of using my mavic air to its full potential, are there any working android apps that can be used or do i have to root my droid and put some rotten apple apps on my droid to do what other ios users enjoy without a big hassle. Thanks!!!

forgive this prior parrot user and newb to the marvels of the dji products, i just acquired my first dji drone a 1st gen mavic air and so far am pleased ,but i didnt read up on it enough before realizing the dji products main source of mobile tech is apple which i detest, im a thoroughbred android user and see im hobbled in many aspects of using my mavic air to its full potential, are there any working android apps that can be used or do i have to root my droid and put some rotten apple apps on my droid to do what other ios users enjoy without a big hassle. Thanks!!!
If you go to the Litchi home page, there is a big button that says "Get it on Google Play". No rooting or sideloaded apps required.

If you're logged into your Litchi account on any of your devices, you can download ANY mission created and fly it.
The reply you quoted was from 2 years ago. I have several missions loaded waiting to fly. Now that it’s warm I’m starting to get out again regularly when weather permits. Also experimenting with FPV.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000