DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi killed mavic number 1 I think, do I trust it with number 2?

DavidGlennPDX

Reactions
Here is the thing, I really like pre-defined mission. I like being able to sit at home, plan the shots and angles in the hub and run it. Like it a lot
While loading a mission my mavic threw a mission load error, disconnected from controller and flew itself straight down into the river it was hovering over. Sadness ensued

Now, my Mavic had never crashed before, but there was a chip in the front from a blade strike (I think) that had no effect I could see on the craft. I had a pretty crappy phone for the app

Ok, New mavic, new (new to me) Galaxy s6 for the apps and finally got state farm insurance.

I am unsure whether the app, the craft, the phone or some other factor was responsible for the crash, I checked the mission settings after, they were fine and it was not like a bad height parameter was set and it flew into the river due to that, it errored first, disconnected and went straight down at top rev.

The main thing I like Litchi for is to run missions.

Knowing that without diagnostics everything is a guess, but I am hoping for some semi-educated ones at least.

Do people here find Litchi to be solid and stable and the craft or the phone itself are very likely to blame?
Or is Litchi known to error out at times and it was my bad luck it was over water to start?
Is there an alternative for android that is more stable? if I move to apple devices would it be more stable?

If you were me, would you use it anyway and consider Litchi issues of that level are rare as hell, or are missions just a bad idea?

Sounds from your first paragraph like you were already airborne when you loaded a mission? I have never done that. I fly Litchi missions frequently, some of the pretty complex with multiple poi's and multiple waypoints, and have NEVER had a disconnect, load error, or any other problem. I do run iOS however on an iPadpro9.7. I also takeoff in Litchi, and make the entire flight inside Litchi.

Reactions: ksmusa
I hovered her maybe 30 feet from me just over the water, which I had done before without issue while I loaded the mission. I had done that before without issue. Most of the Intelligent flight modes require yoto already be hovering, so I guess I got in the habit of doing so, I was not even aware I could start it from ground

When I am running a Litchi flight I never even enter the DJI Go App. I fire up the RC, load the Litchi app, and then turn on the Mavic. Once everything connects, I choose the flight plan, "load" it from right there within Litchi, and take off from within Litchi. When the mission ends it will return to my home point, and auto land. I LIKE it.

When I am running a Litchi flight I never even enter the DJI Go App. I fire up the RC, load the Litchi app, and then turn on the Mavic. Once everything connects, I choose the flight plan, "load" it from right there within Litchi, and take off from within Litchi. When the mission ends it will return to my home point, and auto land. I LIKE it.
I think loading DJI go would be a mistake I agree, I never loaded it, just took off using the sticks, thought I had to be airborn to run it, which works

I was flying a Litchi waypoint mission and my MPP flew right into a pine tree. Litchi sucks!!!

Closed Captioning for the humor impaired: I know the crash was my fault, not Litchi's.

I was flying a Litchi waypoint mission and my MPP flew right into a pine tree. Litchi sucks!!!

Closed Captioning for the humor impaired: I know the crash was my fault, not Litchi's.
well, was the pine tree not in the path you had laid out? I mean, if the mission intersects an object, your are at danger of object avoidance not catching it, can't really blame the app

Ok, well if the flight plan that you entered into Litchi allowed a tree to be on your flight path, at or above your designated altitude, as you cruise along at a speed above the maximum at which the avoidance sensors are effective, that is not a Litchi problem.

well, was the pine tree not in the path you had laid out? I mean, if the mission intersects an object, your are at danger of object avoidance not catching it, can't really blame the app
Ok, well if the flight plan that you entered into Litchi allowed a tree to be on your flight path, at or above your designated altitude, as you cruise along at a speed above the maximum at which the avoidance sensors are effective, that is not a Litchi problem.

Apparently neither of you knuckleheads read what was in white print below his comment.

Never saw the white letters on the white background until after I posted. Whatever. Sarcasm noted.

Never saw the white letters on the white background until after I posted. Whatever. Sarcasm noted.

I apologize to y'all for my attempt at humor. As we all know, not every joke goes over as well as planned. :D

When I load a Litchi mission I always have my finger at the Sports mode switch to be able for getting control back immediately.

I have run hundreds of Litchi waypoint missions as I too love carefully pre-planned flights. I feel you can the best video while running missions that are well planned and flown throughout with smooth gimbal control.

I personally have always taken off first, put the Mavic into a hover and taken a minute or so to double check everything and especially double check focus is solid and recording is on. Then I upload the mission and let it run. I have never had a single Litchi App glitch during any of my flights. Reading this thread will cause me carefully to re-think things, but obviously, Litchi has been pretty darn stable or I feel I would certainly have exposed any generic App glitch by now.

I think there are just too many variables with these awesome and complex toys and their control Apps and that makes definitively figuring these things out very difficult if not impossible.

If I were in your shoes pdx - it would likely take some time for me to get my confidence back - so I would start off doing a bit of testing by flying shorter and non-risky missions until such time as I have convinced myself everything is fine (or not). During testing I would darn sure be at the ready with the sport mode toggle bailout or pause button.

Just my two cents worth - Good Luck!

the river it was hovering over.
For me that's the biggest error/mistake, I don't trust over water flying. And more if the vision positioning is on.
Dji say in the manual :

"The performance of the Forward and Downward Vision Systems are affected by the surface being own over. Ultrasonic sensors may not be able to accurately measure distances when operating above sound-absorbing materials and the camera may not function correctly in suboptimal environments. The aircraft will switch from P-mode to Atti mode automatically if neither GPS nor Forward and Downward Vision Systems are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:

Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green).
Flying over a highly re ective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter.
Flying over water or transparent surfaces."

How high did your bird was overing above the water ?
Did you saved the planed route online on Litchi Mission Hub?
If yes could you give the Name of the route ?
Or even better attach the KML of the route in your answer ?

For me that's the biggest error/mistake, I don't trust over water flying. And more if the vision positioning is on.
Dji say in the manual :

"The performance of the Forward and Downward Vision Systems are affected by the surface being own over. Ultrasonic sensors may not be able to accurately measure distances when operating above sound-absorbing materials and the camera may not function correctly in suboptimal environments. The aircraft will switch from P-mode to Atti mode automatically if neither GPS nor Forward and Downward Vision Systems are available. Operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:

Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g. pure black, pure white, pure red, pure green).
Flying over a highly re ective surfaces.
Flying at high speeds of over 22mph (36kph) at 2 meters or over 11mph (18kph) 1 meter.
Flying over water or transparent surfaces."

How high did your bird was overing above the water ?
Did you saved the planed route online on Litchi Mission Hub?
If yes could you give the Name of the route ?
Or even better attach the KML of the route in your answer ?

I am not usually too worried about water flights as I keep decent height.

Was maybe 30 feet above the water at the time
Was saved yes on my account but not I think publically.
Looks like it wont allow KLM upload

I think it was my phone being to weak. It threw a mission load error first, I suspect it got partial commands and then the app crashed, for some reason it disconnected from controller and flew straight down at high speed. Gonna play with Litchi using a Galaxy Note 5 which litchi says is strong enough and stay over land until I feel it is stable

Was the mavic on current firmware? There have been issues with SDK apps with certain firmware versions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000