DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi: mission data from route very different from programmed actual route!?

marklyn

Reactions
I set up a Litchi mission for my Mavic in the mission hub for an 18+ minute run around a lake (see attachment-missionhub.png). The video taken of the entire route confirms for me that the Mavic completed the full route but the Airdata UAV site and the data from the flight logs show a much smaller triangular route!?
I've also attached a screen shot of the airdata hub route (attachment-dartmoor2.png) & an attachment of a screen shot of the route as it was uploaded to the log viewer site (see attachment dartmoor3.png). missionhub.pngdartmoor2.pngdartmoor3.png

I have the flight log from my iPad if that is needed.
PS. I know the data shown in the route indicates a disconnection. I was expecting that would happen once the Mavic flew out of range but I recall being reconnected toward the last third of the flight. The flight was fine but the data seems to wonky.
So does anyone have any idea why the route in the mission hub, which was proven flown as seen in the video, is different from the data produced in this mission? I'm baffled.

Make sure your Litchi settings are set to metric and export the mission from Litchi Mission hub as CSV and then convert to kml using this website Convert Litchi .csv file to .kml with elevation
Export your Airdata KML for the mission.
Then load them both into Google earth and compare.

Could be that Airdata uses the data straight from Litchi and not teh aircraft. In that case you'd be missing the data from the disconnect.

Reactions: xblackxopsxsecretsx
Brojon, I did exactly as you instructed but the results are still the same. The mission hub export shows the route the drone actually took (including altitude changes) and the Airdata UAV site export still shows the shorter, incomplete route.
Your last statement had me thinking but then I remembered at least two other flights in my neighborhood where I lost signal for several minutes; however, the Airdata UAV route was complete and matched the video for the entire run. So now I'm wondering where does Litchi get it's telemetry data from? If it's the aircraft, then the aircraft would need to return from a mission where a disconnect occurred in order to get all of the data... or does that make sense?

Interesting question - I just recently started using the service which I like far more than I thought I would.
I'll try to do some experiments of my own when it calms down here - the winds and rain from Harvey are putting a damper on anything involving flying. ;)

Reactions: MrsTreat
C'mon Brojon. Man up!

Just kidding. God bless and stay safe. This too shall pass.

Reactions: MrsTreat
as an update:
I used datcon conversion tool (DatCon Downloads) and converted the .dat file for that flight from the Mavic into a KML file and opened that in Google Earth. The flight route is correct for the actual flight (see datcon_flight.png). So, the dat file on the Mavic has the correct flight telemetry and the flight telemetry file on my iPad was incomplete. Does the flight.dat file from the Mavic get ported to the iPad and somehow didn't get ported completely or correctly, therefore it didn't get sent to Airdata UAV correctly? Any insight on this process would be helpful.

datcon_flight.PNG

What the app logs is the telemetry that is received during the flight, nothing more. It will have no idea about anything that happens when out of range as you can see.

What the app logs is the telemetry that is received during the flight, nothing more. It will have no idea about anything that happens when out of range as you can see.
That makes sense. I just converted the fly.dat file into a log file and attached it. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out why the telemetry didn't get updated properly. It mostly looks greek to me.

Attachments

• FLY097.log.txt
    112.1 KB · Views: 2
This file is pointless, post the dat itself.

But there's no mystery there in the first place, you simply lost signal a bit before your point 3 and regained it at point 23, and everything is as would be expected.

This file is pointless, post the dat itself.

But there's no mystery there in the first place, you simply lost signal a bit before your point 3 and regained it at point 23, and everything is as would be expected.
I respectfully disagree. I've lost signal many times before on other flights and later when I view the flight on Airdata UAV, the entire flight record is there but it wasn't this time.
This almost makes me think that the dat file on the drone somehow is updated to the controller/ipad which then updates to Airdata UAV. Somehow, something broke in that process.
I'm just speculating since I don't know the mechanics of how this works.
I've posted the dat file here in case anyone cares to look at it and help me understand what happened.

Guess your signal losses simply never were that long, or on trajectories that caused the "connecting dots" not to appear that much out of the ordinary.
There is no syncing from aircraft after the fact.

Your log shows the RC disconnected during all the missing track as expected.

Guess your signal losses simpley never were that long, or on trajectories that casedd the "connecting dots" not appear that much out of the ordinary.
There is no syncing from aircraft after the fact.
I'm still not sure about that, but would consider that as an explanation. Other flights I've done have lost signal for about 5-9+ minutes... this flight was longer but when I checked other flights where it disconnected and re-connected, the flight route was still showing on Airdata UAV site as well as the phantomhelp viewer site. Granted, it was a purple color, indicating loss of signal, but the route was still showing in full. This is strange to me.

Do you have example links to show?
Yes. But I'm too lazy right now to go through the entire process of downloading/converting, screenshots of one of those flights. I'm certain though I've had full telemetry data from a flight that lost connection. In the meantime I'll do one screen shot of such a flight from Airdata UAV site (below). I lost signal completely from point B all the way through I if I recall correctly.
sample.PNG

C'mon Brojon. Man up!

Just kidding. God bless and stay safe. This too shall pass.
lol - the dog is the one going stir crazy. I'm busy making a new knife and some home repairs I've been procrastinating on.
My dog keeps bringing me toys and looking mournful at the rain outside.

. But I'm too lazy right now to go through the entire process of downloading/converting, screenshots of one of those flights.
You could just post the airdata link instead of doing screenshots... that way we'd even get to see all the relevant data.

I lost signal completely from point B all the way through I if I recall correctly.
Looks like the RC was still getting a few packets here and there, enough to make the track appear with lower detail.

as an update:
I used datcon conversion tool (DatCon Downloads) and converted the .dat file for that flight from the Mavic into a KML file and opened that in Google Earth. The flight route is correct for the actual flight (see datcon_flight.png). So, the dat file on the Mavic has the correct flight telemetry and the flight telemetry file on my iPad was incomplete. Does the flight.dat file from the Mavic get ported to the iPad and somehow didn't get ported completely or correctly, therefore it didn't get sent to Airdata UAV correctly? Any insight on this process would be helpful.

View attachment 20629
Any data created on the AC while the RC is disconnected will not be written to either the Litchi or Go App log file.

Reading the rest of this thread I'm wondering if somehow AirData is showing the planned mission, not the actual flight?

Not sure what else you want to know about the flight. I see you already used DatCon to create the .kml. You might want to consider using CsvView which has an integral GeoPlayer that is time synchronized with the SigPlayers. For example,
upload_2017-8-27_10-30-48.png
upload_2017-8-27_10-31-0.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus