DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi on Smart Controller?

pcmpete

Reactions
Does anyone use the Litchi App on there SC? What is the best way to use it? Do kill Go4 before launching Litchi.

Thanks

Does anyone use the Litchi App on there SC? What is the best way to use it? Do kill Go4 before launching Litchi.

Thanks
I'll bump this thread. I don't use Litchi but some folks believe that the SC has limited capacity that might be taxed or pushed if multiple apps are runing. Some folks close most other apps that they don't need even when using phones or tablets.

I guess you can try it and it things seem sluggish, stop the Go app.

I use Litchi on my SC to fly Waypoint Missions only. I use Go4 for all other flying. I plan the Litchi Waypoint Missions on Mission Hub on my laptop and import that mission to the SC Litchi App. Works great. I've not had an issue with the SC not being able to run these missions. I do not have any unneccessary apps installed on the SC though.

Reactions: ff22 and pcmpete
I use Litchi on my SC to fly Waypoint Missions only. I use Go4 for all other flying. I plan the Litchi Waypoint Missions on Mission Hub on my laptop and import that mission to the SC Litchi App. Works great. I've not had an issue with the SC not being able to run these missions. I do not have any unneccessary apps installed on the SC though.

Do you kill the GO4 app?

I have the Amazon App Litchi installed on my SC, and like Gindra, I only use it for waypoint missions as it excels at that mode.
I DO force stop one when switching to the other.
I haven't seen problems with using GO4 and then switching to Litchi - but better safe than sorry.
But I HAVE had problems using Litchi then switching to GO4 without first Force Stopping Litchi.
Also Force Stopping Amazon App Store app as the Amazon version of Litchi will also launch this app.
If I don't stop both, GO4 crashes often.
Seems to be a lack of memory problem.

Reactions: ff22 and pcmpete
I have the Amazon App Litchi installed on my SC, and like Gindra, I only use it for waypoint missions as it excels at that mode.
I DO force stop one when switching to the other.
I haven't seen problems with using GO4 and then switching to Litchi - but better safe than sorry.
But I HAVE had problems using Litchi then switching to GO4 without first Force Stopping Litchi.
Also Force Stopping Amazon App Store app as the Amazon version of Litchi will also launch this app.
If I don't stop both, GO4 crashes often.
Seems to be a lack of memory problem.
I think I'm going to adopt this practice myself now :). You are correct, better safe than sorry!

Hello everyone.

I’m thinking of buying a Smart Controller to use litchi for waypoint mission. Can we download the litchi app from Google Play store, or we need the Amazon version ? This is a bit confusing, on Litchi’s Website they talk about using the Amazon Appstore but they say “you cannot have Litchi from Google’s Play Store installed on the same device as Litchi from Amazon’s Appstore.” Does that mean we get to choose ? Is one more stable than the other ? Coming from iOS, I don’t want to buy the wrong version and Google Play Store seems more logical to me.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: mdrm_mavpilot
I can't understand why DJI made such a mess of their Waypoints function. The pauses at waypoints ruin any video. They still sell the M2P and SC -you'd think it would behoove them to fix in firmware. Maybe if someone posted a revealing/popular youtube vid?

I have viewed some Litchi waypoint vids. They seem to have it down. A few odd moves that I spotted may have come from the pilots. But navigating the issue of Litchi vs Go4 and avoiding running the apps simultaneously gives me the willies in case I make a distracted error during a flight. Thnx for the pointers.

Hello everyone.

I’m thinking of buying a Smart Controller to use litchi for waypoint mission. Can we download the litchi app from Google Play store, or we need the Amazon version ? This is a bit confusing, on Litchi’s Website they talk about using the Amazon Appstore but they say “you cannot have Litchi from Google’s Play Store installed on the same device as Litchi from Amazon’s Appstore.” Does that mean we get to choose ? Is one more stable than the other ? Coming from iOS, I don’t want to buy the wrong version and Google Play Store seems more logical to me.

You have to jump through a number of App-install-hoops to get the Google Play store on the Smart Controller and then can try installing Litchi. But sometimes updates can kill the Play store install. So you are probably better off installing the version kind of intended for the Smart Controller. With that, I have not installed Litchi at all. I had the Play store and then an update killed it. I did not bother doing it all again.

Good luck with your decision.

I just downloaded Litchi onto my SC for waypoint missions and I'm trying to get all the helpful info I can before I start using it. What Mission Hub program are you referring to? That would make mission planning easier then doing on the SC.

I also just purchased Litchi for my M2P and SmartController -- I have yet to fly a waypoint mission with Litchi as I am trying to learn all I can. However, I have learned that the Mission Hub is a link right of the flylitchi.com website -- you'll see it in the menus across the top of the web page (in a regular web browser). The Mission Hub allows you to see and/or download other folks' missions as well as create your own on the a webpage rather than on the SC -- which seems a lot easier.

I am still learning how to then watch the resulting KML file in Google Earth. I can get the KML file to load but I can't seem to get it to fly the route (on a Mac at the moment but will also try on my Alienware PC).

-Chris

I also just purchased Litchi for my M2P and SmartController -- I have yet to fly a waypoint mission with Litchi as I am trying to learn all I can. However, I have learned that the Mission Hub is a link right of the flylitchi.com website -- you'll see it in the menus across the top of the web page (in a regular web browser). The Mission Hub allows you to see and/or download other folks' missions as well as create your own on the a webpage rather than on the SC -- which seems a lot easier.

I am still learning how to then watch the resulting KML file in Google Earth. I can get the KML file to load but I can't seem to get it to fly the route (on a Mac at the moment but will also try on my Alienware PC).

-Chris
I honestly never thought to see if Litchi had a website, lol. I just downloaded it from Google. I was reading the instructions on Litchi and it talks about changing DJI GO4 as the default app on your phone. I haven't found "default apps" setting on the SC like there is on a phone or tablet. This doesn't suprise me because I know DJI didn't really want anyone loading other apps on the SC. Is this an issue or is there a way change "default" apps on the SC?

Gp to "Settings" then "Apps" -- find the DJI app and click it. Scroll down a bit and you will see a option called "defaults".

-Chris

Hello everyone.

Hi There

I can give you a pretty direct answer to this. I'm a commercial drone operator and I have used Litchi heavily for the last few years with great success, I really love it. Although I always said I'd never get a smart controller recently I had some credit unspent with my local authorised DJI dealer and as I couldn't think of anything else I needed at the time I decided to use it on a smart controller. it's been out 18 months so I had some hopes it'd be debugged by now.

I decided that I wanted to run the google store version of Litchi mostly for the benefit of using google maps and it's really not too hard to side load google services and register the smart controller as a development device (which is needed as the Smart Controller is not a google certified device) to get access to the app store. I'm pretty tech savvy, actually very tech savvy but if you're not don't fret it's still easy enough that anyone could probably do it if they follow one of the tutorials around and take their time.

I've had it loaded that way for about a month now and to be honest if I had of known how it would have turned out I don't think I would have bothered. The smart controller is not the most stable device to start with, yes a lot of people who use it only with Go4 in a vanilla fashion have only the occasional app crash and love the bright screen but for comparison I have not had a single app crash on an apple device in three years. 99% of crashes on the smart controller are cause by "out of memory errors" which as it implies means the unit runs out of RAM. Essentially the Smart Controller has the hardware specs of a three or more year old android tablet and a cheap one at that. It needs more RAM at the very least.

To make things worse it runs a 5 year old version of Android that has not been particularly well ported to the device. Cost cutting much DJI? and honestly, a Android device that doesn't come enabled for google services as standard? 0.o In a nut shell it's brilliantly well built and fundamentally flawed at the same time and before the DJI fanbois start, I have an exclusively DJI hanger and I really REALLY wanted to like this device. I know it's not a faulty unit because every issue I have is repeatable and well documented by other users.

There are certain steps as far as set up and sdcard size and others things that can and do improve stability and these I have researched and implemented but should you have to do that with something in that price range? Not in my eyes. So, after a week or so I had it running (fairly) stably as it came out of the box but then I add google services to the mix and of course now now THEY randomly close ... I suppose I can't complain, it didn't come from DJI supporting google services ...despite being android...but anyway, on top of that I am now having issued finding my Litchi flight plans on the smart controller. They are there on the online mission hub, on my iPad mini 5, iPad pro, iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S9+ but not on the smart controller. I could probably find the answer but I've run out of s***s to give.

I'm about to reset the device to default and load the Amazon store version of litchi. I'm not saying you absolutely could never make the Google store version work but honestly, it shouldn't be this hard and I don't have time to debug it when I need to be flying.

So that's the long answer.

Short answer is to ask your self the following

Do you need total 100% reliability? If the answer is yes a Smart Controller may not be for you

If you absolutely MUST have the google store version of Litchi and Google Maps then the Smart Controller may not be for you.

If you can live with the occasional app crash, if Amazon Store Litchi with it's onboard maps are good enough for you and you really get off on beautifully designed and built ergonomically friendly hardware with a screen that can't be beaten for brightness and sharpness if not so much for size and the price is within your reach .. then buy it and ignore everything I said.

For me, if the Amazon version of Litchi disappoints then mine will either end up in the cupboard or for sale.

Regards
Ari

For me, if the Amazon version of Litchi disappoints then mine will either end up in the cupboard or for sale.

Regards
Ari
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the detailed info. I got the SC with my original M2P purchase, not knowing about other options. I chose the SC as I wanted the entire rig to be proprietary. And any issues so far have been pilot error. I only have a few issues with SC/Go4 features/interface. I have never had Go4 quit or any other malfunctions.

I only shoot occasional video, but the Waypoint controls in Go4 is fatally flawed. I had heard that Litchi on SC has issues -which you have confirmed in detail.

So what would be your preferred controller device running Google Store Litchi? (which I believe you prefer?)
Thanks

Regards
Ari
Thanks for the detailed info. I got the SC with my original M2P purchase, not knowing about other options. I chose the SC as I wanted the entire rig to be proprietary. And any issues so far have been pilot error. I only have a few issues with SC/Go4 features/interface. I have never had Go4 quit or any other malfunctions.

I only shoot occasional video, but the Waypoint controls in Go4 is fatally flawed. I had heard that Litchi on SC has issues -which you have confirmed in detail.

So what would be your preferred controller device running Google Store Litchi? (which I believe you prefer?)
Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Hi There

If I am just flying manually for fun or for a one off job where the customer just wants video or still images then I will use the Go4 app every time. It’s simple and has few bugs if any. It just delivers the goods.

A lot of my work however is mapping or inspection where I will fly exactly the same route with the same camera angles multiple times. As you pointed out DJI’s way point implementation is a bit half baked. I’m not really sure why, it came along quite late in the day and when it arrived i thought it would be a work in progress that would be added to over time but for some reason it hasn’t turned out that way so Lithci it is.

If it absolutely has to work first time without any crashes, failures or complications then the standard DJI controller for your aircraft and an apple device, any apple device reigns supreme. My device of choice is the iPad mini 5. The 7.9 inch screen has plenty of real estate and the A12 Bionic processor handles anything you can throw it’s way while remaining quite cool. The earlier mini 4 is not a bad device either just for Go4 but can run a bit hot when you work it hard. It’s a 4 year old design and Go4 has evolved quite a lot over the years so no surprise it has to work hard. The downfall of the apple devices of course is lack of screen brightness especially in the sun but I use a screen hood and it becomes workable.

I had been a dedicated android user since android 2.1 until I started flying DJI gear. Some android devices can be brilliant and others much less so and it’s no surprise. The app developers code for standard vanilla reference android which no manufacturer actually uses on their devices. They all add their own skins and other embellishments to highlight their own product and there by comes the issues. The developers just can’t test with literally hundreds of slightly different configurations. Apple having one O/S they make in house over their entire product range are always going to be easier to develop the app for and it shows.

Reading my reply of yesterday back I can see that my discontent is pretty obvious with the smart controller but I had literally only been home from a commercial job I had flown about 3 hours before. It’s a housing development that I have to fly every 2 weeks for a year in exactly the same pattern (24km over multiple batteries) so as to be able to make a time lapse for the developer when done. After a month of tinkering with it I felt the SC was ready to ‘go live on job’. When I got there once I had tethered it to my phone (another pet peeve, why oh why no cellular model DJI?) it wouldn’t load the flight plan from litchi. If I hadn’t of taken the original controller and iPad with me it would have cost me an extra day at best and the weather here today is way worse than yesterday and I guess that sums it up, I *LOVE* the feel and screen and build quality of the SC but for $1070 Aussie dollars ... I just expect it to work without jumping through hoops.

Regards
Ari

I've used Litchi (Google ver.) a few times on my SC with no major issues. I decided to download DJI Pilot PE (v.1.8) and have flown several mapping missions (M2Z) with it and have had no issues so far. I've had my SC for over a year and have had only had one time that Go4 froze and restarted during a flight. I even have Google Play installed on my SC with only the one issue. I've used Litchi but really like using Pilot PE better so far. I'll have a better idea if it's better the more I use it so we'll see.

This is what I did to get DJI Pilot PE

I've used Litchi (Google ver.) a few times on my SC with no major issues. I decided to download DJI Pilot PE (v.1.8) and have flown several mapping missions (M2Z) with it and have had no issues so far. I've had my SC for over a year and have had only had one time that Go4 froze and restarted during a flight. I even have Google Play installed on my SC with only the one issue. I've used Litchi but really like using Pilot PE better so far. I'll have a better idea if it's better the more I use it so we'll see.

This is what I did to get DJI Pilot PE

That’s one of the frustrating things about it. There are quite a few people who don’t have too many problems, but for every one of those there’s someone who doesn’t . I had high hopes mine would not be a pain, it's a late build and you’d think it would be debugged but sadly not. I do admit I’m a ‘power user’ if you like and have high demands and use it across 3 aircraft but still, as I said before, for a premium price I expect a better experience.

There are a few quite good waypoint mission apps out there, in my case ot just comes down to the fact that I’ve been using litchi for 3 years and I’ve learned how to get the best out of it and integrate it with my software here, I can program the flights and camera angles etc very quickly and safely now and until it comes to the point where I need something that it can’t provide I can’t see the point in starting from scratch.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOM112