DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi Orbit mode - unsteady video with Mavic Air

Maviac

Reactions
Not sure if this should be here or in the MA forums, but it seemed a little more specific so I'm putting it here.

I've been doing some "b-roll" shots for a planned longer video, and this past weekend did a few clips using the Orbit mode on Litchi using my Mavic Air. They look great when played at regular speed. But for the eventual final video, I'll speed them up a good bit because they are mostly very wide-radius shots of large structures and look pretty boring at regular speed. I did a test by upping the speed to 250% in Premiere Pro. At that speed, I'm noticing a lot of movement that wasn't apparent at regular speed, with the focus target moving all around. It's noticeable enough that I can't use the footage in that shape, though I may be able to use it elsewhere at regular or only slightly sped-up speed.

My question is whether this is typical of Orbit mode with Litchi on a very light AC like the Air, or if there's something I'm doing wrong or that could be fixed. According to the wind report in AirData, the wind was at most 5mph during the flight. Potentially important detail: I'm using the Master AirScrew Stealth (V2) props, and I've heard some people talk about slight drifting/instability (I've never noticed this myself and have the gain settings at the MAS recommendations). I didn't notice the issue until after I was done on the scenes so I haven't had a chance to switch back to stock to see if it makes a difference (and it's going to be a while before I have a chance to go up again to test it), but I'd like to hear if this is just an inherent issue with the software or aircraft.

I tried to use the stabilize function, but Premiere Pro will not let me do that and change the speed in the same clip. I suppose I could export the sped-up clip and then try to stabilize the new file, but if this is as simple of an issue as switching props, or changing something in Litchi, or even upgrading to a more stable UAV (I'm looking for an excuse) that would be easier.

Not sure if this should be here or in the MA forums, but it seemed a little more specific so I'm putting it here.

I've been doing some "b-roll" shots for a planned longer video, and this past weekend did a few clips using the Orbit mode on Litchi using my Mavic Air. They look great when played at regular speed. But for the eventual final video, I'll speed them up a good bit because they are mostly very wide-radius shots of large structures and look pretty boring at regular speed. I did a test by upping the speed to 250% in Premiere Pro. At that speed, I'm noticing a lot of movement that wasn't apparent at regular speed, with the focus target moving all around. It's noticeable enough that I can't use the footage in that shape, though I may be able to use it elsewhere at regular or only slightly sped-up speed.

My question is whether this is typical of Orbit mode with Litchi on a very light AC like the Air, or if there's something I'm doing wrong or that could be fixed. According to the wind report in AirData, the wind was at most 5mph during the flight. Potentially important detail: I'm using the Master AirScrew Stealth (V2) props, and I've heard some people talk about slight drifting/instability (I've never noticed this myself and have the gain settings at the MAS recommendations). I didn't notice the issue until after I was done on the scenes so I haven't had a chance to switch back to stock to see if it makes a difference (and it's going to be a while before I have a chance to go up again to test it), but I'd like to hear if this is just an inherent issue with the software or aircraft.

I tried to use the stabilize function, but Premiere Pro will not let me do that and change the speed in the same clip. I suppose I could export the sped-up clip and then try to stabilize the new file, but if this is as simple of an issue as switching props, or changing something in Litchi, or even upgrading to a more stable UAV (I'm looking for an excuse) that would be easier.
When you speed up the video of course you will see movement.

Instead of using Premier Pro’s stabilizer render out the sped up clip ( or use Adobe dynamic link) and bring it into After Effects. In After Effects you can use the motion tracker to “lock” your POI onto the screen which will create a perfect POI. You can adjust the settings of camera stabilizer to allow some slight movement if you prefer.

Adobe Motion tracking Manual

Video Tutorial

Reactions: Ds67888 and Maviac
When you speed up the video of course you will see movement.

Instead of using Premier Pro’s stabilizer render out the sped up clip ( or use Adobe dynamic link) and bring it into After Effects. In After Effects you can use the motion tracker to “lock” your POI onto the screen which will create a perfect POI. You can adjust the settings of camera stabilizer to allow some slight movement if you prefer.

Adobe Motion tracking Manual

Video Tutorial
Thanks, I’ll try that. I’ve honestly never even fired up AE but have been looking for a good reason.

And yeah, I understand that speeding things up will cause it to look a bit more unstable, but this was to the extent it was uncomfortable to watch, alternately circling around the target and bouncing up and down. Going back to regular speed, I can now see it there too, though I didn’t until I knew what to look for before since it looked pretty nice. At 2-2.5x, it’s extremely jumpy. I’ll try it with stock props and see if it’s any different.

Reactions: Ds67888
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje