DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi - proper pronunciation?

pelagic_one

Wind-Blown Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
It seems debatable on YouTube, as well as at our local group flying sites; so may I please ask for the proper pronunciation of Litchi?

Is it pronounced <lye’-chee> like the fruit? Or is it <lih’-chee> like it rhymes with ‘itchy’?

Last edited:
It seems debatable on YouTube, as well as at our local group flying sites; so may I please ask for the proper pronunciation of Litchi?

Is it <lye’-chee> like the fruit? Or is it <lih’-chee> like it rhymes with ‘itchy’?
The voice in the waypoint tutorial on the Litchi web site pronounces it "Lee chee". However, to me that sounds odd. I pronounce it so that it sounds like "itchy" but I'm probably wrong in my pronunciation.

I'm not aware of a fruit that is pronounced like either, but then, I'm a carnivore.

Is it pronounced <lye’-chee> like the fruit? Or is it <lih’-chee> like it rhymes with ‘itchy’?
So I searched Litchi’s website for videos made by Litchi in the hope that they would pronounce their own name. There’s not much, most of their videos just have type on the screen and not a person talking. All their videos are weird...

I did find one video that has a voice speaking but it’s probably a computer generated voice. It pronounced it Lee Chee. There are also videos that pronounce it the same way on VC Tech’s Phantom flight school but I don’t know if this is actually VC Tech or another company doing these videos. However, the consistent pronunciation from multiple Litchi linked videos leads me to believe Lee Chee is correct or at least there’s no evidence that lib’-Chee is correct.

Like I said this video is WEIRD!

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lychee[2] (US: /ˈliːˌtʃiː/ LEE-chee; UK: /ˈlaɪˌtʃiː/ LIE-chee; Litchi chinensis; Chinese: 荔枝; pinyin: lìzhī) is the sole member of the genus Litchi in the soapberry family, Sapindaceae.

Lychee and Litchi are two different words ... Lychee is the fruit of the tree that in Latin is Litchi Chinensis. However, it seems that the pronunciation is much the same, except the 't' in the middle of 'Litchi' is a bit more prominent ... sounds like 'lite-chee' ... where-as Lychee is usually pronounced - 'lie-chee'.

Oohh so the icon/logo of the app is supposed to look like a peeled lychee? Wait, it doesn't look like a lychee. It's a creepy eye.
Why named it after fruits? Why so many tech related companies or apps are named after fruits? Has anyone named their company after durian?

A LONG time ago I spoke with a real human being from Litchi and she pronounced it "LeeChee" but she had a strong "British??" accent so it's possible I misunderstood her. I'm horrible with any accent other than strong Southern English.

The icon/logo looks to be a combination of the Lychee Fruit and the Blade/Yuneec cameras so popular a couple years ago:

th

HZ-BLH8100C-lg-06.jpg

zg5myDEMlSBhNyggdVqd6GZ8xOvVBDA5uSltLzz8eBkeIbXwrqe0aodecmnZC5zwcvs=w300

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

I've always pronounced it lit-chee but when I dictate to my smartphone it pops up lychee

To be honest, I STILL call it "lit-chee" even though I know it's LEE-chee. Old habits, strong willed, and weak minded LOL!

My phone messes up my texts so bad I can't even try LOL! Siri has gotten me into hot water a time or two because Allen didn't read BEFORE hitting send :)

I guess looking at their logo first would’ve clued me into the Asian pronunciation of the fruit. So LEE-chee, it is. I figured I should know how to pronounce it before I actually buy the app. Thanks to you guys for the quick responses.

I have no issues saying “Waypoint” and “Dronelink”. :cool:

Say it how it feels best to you. As an example the rest of the world pronounce the name of a famous camera brand Nikon as NIK-KON but only in America, it seems, they pronounce it NYE-KON. The Americans do the same to the word tomato. Other countries say TO-MAH-TOE even in German they say TO-MAH-TON (which is the German word for it). But here they always say TO-MAY-TOE. And don't even get me started on the wrong way the word HERB is pronounced over here!

I've always called Litchi LIT-CHEE because if feels better saying it that way. Each to their own, I suppose. If you are worried, every time the word comes up in conversation, just spell it, that will save you having to pronounce it. :)

Can’t change now. It’s been “Litch-ee” for me, just rolls off the tongue. ? Use it but never say it, except to myself.

The fruit is delicious. I too am a Lit-Chee sayer, even though I pronounce the fruit correctly as Lye-chee. Oh if all our worldly problems were as dire as this one! lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu