DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi vs DJI Go 4

Tomcat

Reactions
I just learned of this other app for using while flying called Litchi so I thought I would go to the App Store and check it out.
32 bucks!!!!
What could it possibly do that the free DJI Go 4 app can't do. I'm relatively new with my drone so maybe I'm missing something here. Can you Litchi lovers enlighten me please.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

For me the main benefit of Litchi is that you can preplan waypoint missions and then fly them. With GO4 you must fly the mission manually and record it, it can then be saved and flown again.

If you're on android, litchi is a must as I found out today, the dji go 4 app on android constantly crashes and loses connection . Dji need to put that app on the top of their priorities to fix it .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: ditography
Litchi is great - love spending hours 'planning' my WayPoint flights, sorting out 'points of interest' so I get long, sweeping shots, just a bit buttock-clenching when you send it off autonomously. Has always worked fine for me but still nervous when my little Mav shoots off into the distance without me controlling it! Long story cut short - get Litchi, learn how to use it (remember altitude!) and you'll be pleased. It's cheap for what it is.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Using Litchi is the most fun I have with my drones. It makes you think and plan your flight and take things into consideration such as obstacles, and wind speed, etc. Ive been a pilot for most of my life, and just like preflight planning, Litchi makes you work to get the mission right but it's so satisfying to execute the mission and see the fruits of your labor. I felt that after spending a grand on my new Mav, $32 seemed like a joke considering what the app can do. To me its priceless. Ive used it on almost every DJI product from the P3S up to the P4P. Cant use it on the P4P+.

My wife frequently asks me when I get home after flying, "Who flew today, you or the computer (Litchi)?" If I crashed, it was usually me that was free flying without Litchi.

Last edited:
EDIT: I'll add a shore video of my screen recording [using Litchi which is really cool] which shows the latency. Youtube video:

So, I've logged 50+ flights with the MP using DJIGo4 and my Iphone 6s. I've gotten used to the very minimal latency while viewing the camera view on the Iphone 6s and Go4. I would consider this latency very minimal. Fast-forward to a change from Go4 to Litchi and the latency is huge - maybe 2-seconds! I'm shocked as I don't see how anyone can experience safe FPV flight with a 2-second delay?? Plus there are huge screen locks [even when the AC is a couple hundred feet away??

I've tried multiple settings on the Hardware Decoding. Going from Auto to 10ghz to choosing a specific frequency. Even changed the View settings from Yaw to Gimbal and back - - really no improvement. I experience all of these issues while the AC is not even recording video... I have to say, I don't see any reason why I'd use this app unless I'm flying a Mission.

I've read the manual 'twice' and don't see anything in there that could help me with this huge latency issue. Anyone else have this problem, too? Got a solution? BTW: I did not change the record settings on the AC from 4K 30fps - - but, like I said I was not recording...

Thanks - Shannon

A point that should be considered by those that paid for DJI Care. It is my understanding that you must use the DJI app to have your DJI care coverage honored in the event of a crash. DJI requires the logs from their app?

A point that should be considered by those that paid for DJI Care. It is my understanding that you must use the DJI app to have your DJI care coverage honored in the event of a crash. DJI requires the logs from their app?

I think they go by the DAT file recorded on the device itself. You have no control over that storage. One of the big reasons they don't cover completely lost/flyaway/sunken drones, but do cover heavily damaged drones.

I use Litchi because it has support for many VR headsets, not just future support for one brand of vaporware goggles.

I use Litchi because it has solid waypoint route planning from home on a web browser, which I can load and edit on-site to shoot good footage even if I haven't been there before.

I use Litchi because it has a very smooth capability to automate the shooting of panoramic hemispherical shots.

Each one of these was 50+ photos, which I combine on the desktop back home, and can view in VR or render as little planets like this.

jORxWhF.jpg

JKKgTmd.jpg

For me, Litchi auto-uplaods my flight logs to HealthyDrones.com so I can keep an eye on how my batteries, signal and other things are doing, and Litchi eats my phone's battery life a lot less than DJI GO, personally.

Otherwise, it offers a few more options for customizing controller buttons compared to DJI GO. It probably comes down to personal preference based on how you use your drone, really.

I'll use Go 4 for firmware updates, calibrations, and the first few flights after a firmware update so that the logs go to DJI even if something terrible happens to the drone, but for most flights, I like to use Litchi, since DJI will still cover non-pilot-error problems as long as they can review the logs in the physical drone itself.

...I confess I had the same reaction to Litchi, but then I reminded myself I'm not a commercial pilot but spent $1000 on a drone anyway, so $30 is not going to kill me.

Another nice feature of Litchi is it will announce flight data (you can choose what it announces) such as altitude, battery level, or speed by voice as you fly. This allows you to fly without staring at the display data.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000