DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi warning!

cheddar-man

Reactions
Bought Litchi to fly my Phantom 3, used it for years so naturally I want to use it with my new Mini2.
Unfortunately the Nvidia Shield is not compatible with the DJI Fly app and if I want to use Litchi with my new drone and iPhone I'll have to buy it again!

Mod Removed) rip off!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Off? It's a totally different platform so of course they would want to recoup some of their R&D. What's it cost now? Has Litchi gone up? When I bought it, IIRC it was $29 or so.

You mean it's not free!
DJI Fly App Android compatibility : A comprehensive guide - How to check your Android phone is compatible

And directly from the Litchi website:

"The best way to find out if your device is supported by Litchi is to purchase the application and give it a try. If it ends up not working, you can ask for a refund during the 2 hours window."

Nobody has tried ripping you off - plenty of support available from both DJI and Litchi :)

Bought Litchi to fly my Phantom 3, used it for years so naturally I want to use it with my new Mini2.
Unfortunately the Nvidia Shield is not compatible with the DJI Fly app and if I want to use Litchi with my new drone and iPhone I'll have to buy it again!

(Mod Removed)rip off!!

"warning!" ... really???

Given the almost trivial cost of Litchi compared with just about everything else you've paid for your hobby, and considering the additional cost to the Litchi developer to port the app to multiple platforms, I think your indignation is excessive and unwarranted.

Sorry Cheddar-man I too do not think it is a rip-off.
They are, at a guess, entirely different apps, probably with completely different foundations so both had to be built anew from scratch.
What I might consider to be a rip-off is if you need to buy a 'license' for each drone that used the same version of Litchi.

On that note, does any one know if Litchi is for use with a single drone per purchase?

Reactions: Pallidin and aaarke
Sorry Cheddar-man I too do not think it is a rip-off.
They are, at a guess, entirely different apps, probably with completely different foundations so both had to be built anew from scratch.
What I might consider to be a rip-off is if you need to buy a 'license' for each drone that used the same version of Litchi.

On that note, does any one know if Litchi is for use with a single drone per purchase?

Litchi works per "Device OS". So one for IOS and one for Android devices. Once you're logged into Litchi on your device any "supported" UAS are operable. I can go from Phantom3, to Phantom4, to Mavic Platinum, to Mavic Pro seamlessly.

When I first bought Litchi it was for iOS. When I got a cheap Lenovo tablet, I had to purchase the Android version, now I have both versions and can use whichever version I want on whatever platform I choose to fly with, which gives me some flexibility which I find nice. There are some differences between the two platforms which is probably why they charge for each. Also, Litchi is pretty good at releasing updates, new features, and adding drone support once DJI releases the SDK so in my opinion the cost is justified.

Chris

Rip Off? It's a totally different platform so of course they would want to recoup some of their R&D. What's it cost now? Has Litchi gone up? When I bought it, IIRC it was $29 or so.

$22.99 for IOS. $24.99 for Android. Still a stunning bargain.

I'm a new user (< 1 month) and I'm really impressed. One fee covers multiple drones.

Litchi works per "Device OS". So one for IOS and one for Android devices. Once you're logged into Litchi on your device any "supported" UAS are operable. I can go from Phantom3, to Phantom4, to Mavic Platinum, to Mavic Pro seamlessly.
Ohhh so if Cheddar-man could copy or install the Litchi from, or bought for, the Nvidia to an Android phone that is compatible with the Mini 2 would that work? I assume the Nvidia runs Android.

Reactions: Aairon
Ohhh so if Cheddar-man could copy or install the Litchi from, or bought for, the Nvidia to an Android phone that is compatible with the Mini 2 would that work? I assume the Nvidia runs Android.

Yes if he goes with a device with the same OS it should be a simple deal but it sounds like he wants to use it with his iPhone (and I agree). It's gonna be another $20USD because it's a different platform.

OK for some with endless money for a hobby but for a UK pensioner £40 for a program is £40 (2 X £20)

You said you had used the first purchase "for years". Time to consider that one amortized.

More to the point, though, it no doubt took the developer LOTS of time and effort to port Litchi to a different platform. The guy who writes Maven still hasn't been able to find the time to port his app to Android in spite of countless requests for him to do so, and that app is his full time project. Why you think you should get the Litchi developer's additional effort free is beyond me. I wouldn't be making such a big deal out of this but you called him a ripoff and it seems to me that you want to do exactly that to him. You aren't entitled to free access to his time, effort, and talent.

To say more, if I were the OP I would not buy Litchi for IOS at this moment. Mini 2 won't be supported by Litchi at least until March 31st when DJI release the IOS SDK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07

( Mod Removed)rip off!!
But you could use Litchi on as many Android devices as you like without having to pay any more.

So is litchi now compatible with the SE ? I did try couple weeks ago but litchi said no signal when I had litchi open and got the new firmware,,I'll try again,not a fan of djifly

Ok litchi working for me today

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm missing something but the Nvidia Shield is a streaming box to stream movies and TV via the internet. AFAIK it is not a display device.

I'm just a grumpy (poor) English pensioner who would love to just be able to go out there and buy everything I want, but I can't.
maybe a bit hard on Litchi, my apologies guys, but as has been said the OS version isn't available yet so I'll start saving.
I tried several (available) Android devices and they had "issues" so went iPhone which works seamlessly. I get the feeling that DJI Fly was developed with iPhones in mind? In fact on the Mini SE box not actually states "for the iPhone.
I like the versatility of Litchi, planning flights, Follow Me and a whole lot more that DJI Fly just hasn't got.
Any way, right now loving the Mini2. It's a whole new experience after the old P3A.

I'm just a grumpy (poor) English pensioner who would love to just be able to go out there and buy everything I want, but I can't.
maybe a bit hard on Litchi, my apologies guys, but as has been said the OS version isn't available yet so I'll start saving.
I tried several (available) Android devices and they had "issues" so went iPhone which works seamlessly. I get the feeling that DJI Fly was developed with iPhones in mind? In fact on the Mini SE box not actually states "for the iPhone.
I like the versatility of Litchi, planning flights, Follow Me and a whole lot more that DJI Fly just hasn't got.
Any way, right now loving the Mini2. It's a whole new experience after the old P3A.
Clearly states ""made for iphone""but one does need magnifying glass to read it,,I'm android user so had to buy iPhone which was 200 which hurt,,agree the mini certainly a change from the phantoms,hard to get used to,,I just got litchi working with the SE so that's pretty good,,been on djifly last few weeks which rather boring considering the effort to get the mini in operation 16443609751351578133277149773475.jpg

Reactions: Pallidin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242