DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Live feed lag

Dodger1512

Reactions
Hi guys I am new to drone flying. I recently moved up from a Mavic Mini which worked great and upgraded to the Mavic Air 2. Since my first flight I been having a jerky/lag on my live feed to my phone screen. I did not have this issue with the Mavic Mini.

The only difference I could think of is the antennas from the Mavic Mini controller and the integrated antennas of the Mavic Air 2, I do not know how much of a difference would the new integrated antennas into the controller affect the transmission to the device.

Its pretty disappointing coming from a pretty pricey device. If anyone has experienced this issue please let me know your thoughts on how to fix this.

I am using an Iphone XS Max, the phone is up to date on the latest iOS software, the drone has been updated along with the batteries and controller. I have also tried it on my tablet Ipad pro 2nd gen and it has the same jerky/lag issue on the live feed.

You most to have an cable issue. Change that cable for a quality one because the MA2 is much more smooth than the mini. Also make sure is not crazy long. Try use a cable that fit perfectly. I use a 1 ft cable and works fine, the longer the cable, the more lag you will have.

You most to have an cable issue. Change that cable for a quality one because the MA2 is much more smooth than the mini. Also make sure is not crazy long. Try use a cable that fit perfectly. I use a 1 ft cable and works fine, the longer the cable, the more lag you will have.
Awesome, I just ordered a new cable from amazon. I hope that works. Did you experience this issue?

Yes with long cheap cables. you should never go over 3 ft cables even if they are good quality because the lag can be bad. Also try avoid using converters in between the cables to lower the chance of lag. I found that cheap 2.0 converters can give you problems. If you are going to use converters, make sure that are USB 3.0. But i rather dont use it.

I have the same phone and works great.

Something like this should work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dodger1512
Yes with long cheap cables. you should never go over 3 ft cables even if they are good quality because the lag can be bad. Also try avoid using converters in between the cables to lower the chance of lag. I found that cheap 2.0 converters can give you problems. If you are going to use converters, make sure that are USB 3.0. But i rather dont use it.

Perfect, I just ordered that too. I will try both cables should receive them Wednesday. I hope this fixes the issue

Reactions: zeusfl

I am not going to say that your wrong in your experience, but as a Electronic engineer I would question the statement of length. I have used a 10ft cable before and saw no lag and have a 25ft I use on occation, still no lag. Granted, a crappy cable will cause issues no matter what the length.

I am however flying a M2Z and not a MA2, but I still can't see a proper cable of 3' being any different than a 12". The amount of resistance internally to a cable would be so minute, it should not in any way effect signal strength or cause a decay in time line.

Since my first flight I been having a jerky/lag on my live feed to my phone screen.

This can be caused by not properly lining up the antennas between the aircraft and remote controller. Use the "Aircraft Orientation" indicator located at bottom center of screen . Below is a proper left-right alignment.
1598964023801.png

For vertical you will need to follow what's in the User Manual, page 34.
1598963937970.png

Edit: Also from the User Manual, page 31: "OcuSync 2.0 reduces the latency to 120-130 ms by improving the camera performance through its video decoding algorithm and the wireless link.". So you can always expect some slight lag.

This can be caused by not properly lining up the antennas between the aircraft and remote controller. Use the "Aircraft Orientation" indicator located at bottom center of screen . Below is a proper left-right alignment.
View attachment 112065

For vertical you will need to follow what's in the User Manual, page 34.
View attachment 112064

Edit: Also from the User Manual, page 31: "OcuSync 2.0 reduces the latency to 120-130 ms by improving the camera performance through its video decoding algorithm and the wireless link.". So you can always expect some slight lag.
Thanks for the tip. This did not cross my mind. I know my next couple questions might sound dumb but how would I do this? Would I need to stand in front of the drone before lifting off the ground?

Hi guys, Sorry for the late response. I tried all the recommendations you guys suggested and none worked. I decided to exchange it, Best Buy worked with me really good as well as DJI did. The actual controller was faulty to what I was told. I was able to exchange it for a brand new Fly More Combo and it works as intended now.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake