DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Live in USA, Massachusetts - Flying in cold weather

The Captain

Reactions
Hi Everyone. Newbie question. Is there a threshold where I should not fly. 32° today and 12°tomorrow.

I believe that information is in the manual. 32 probably not an issue. 12, you probably need to keep the batteries somewhere so they are not exposed to the cold before you use them.

Is there a threshold where I should not fly
Yep! When your fingers cannot take it or your mobile device shuts off.

Keep your batteries warm before flying and you should be just fine. Keep in mind the batteries won't last as long in the cold weather.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Hi Everyone. Newbie question. Is there a threshold where I should not fly. 32° today and 12°tomorrow.
I have found as long as quad and batteries are all warm to start you will be fine. The colder it gets the faster your fingers freeze. I have flown all of mine at -30c not for more than 5-8 minutes though. The batteries produce heat so they will last longer than your fingers will. I always bring back to room temperature after every flight.

Been flying in Massachusetts a few winters now using a Phantom 3 Pro, Mavic Pro and now a Mavic 2 Pro and frequently on very cold days.
I've had no issues with flight handling, range or photo quality due to cold temps.

1. Just keep your batteries warm before using them. Know that the battery duration will likely be reduced in cold temperatures.
2. Buy the thinnest and warmest gloves you can find for RC use, (they should also work on a touch screen on your tablet or phone).
3. The best tip is that the Mavic flies great while you control it from inside your nice warm car.
The car windshield glass is not a strong impediment to the OcuSync signal.
Yes, range will be somewhat reduced, but for many flights and weather conditions it's worth the sacrifice.

Reactions: Plainview
I've been flying in Michigan winters for several years without any problems. I have always figured that if I can take it, the drone can take it. You just need to follow the recommendations made by others about how to manage your battery(ies).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb