DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Living in the mountains with signal issues...

jpastrophoto

Reactions
So I splurged on the Alientech Duo II for my Smart Controller due to Alientech telling me this will help me in the mountains where I live. I have the Mini 2 and the Zoom. After installing successfully, my test flights with the Mini 2 showed absolutely no difference. In fact, the signal drops very fast and I am completely losing connection to the point of the drone returning to home. That never happened with the stock antenna. Anyhow, if anyone has any ideas to improve signal, I'd love to explore all options. I'm not giving up on the Duo II just yet. I contacted support in hopes I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Obviously it depends on the install procedure, did you install it yourself ? if so did you follow it precisely, I modified my Mavic 2 Pro & standard controller plus Smart Controller, works like a dream for me, careful care needs to be taken with the very thin coaxial cables to ensure they go to correct output - make sure they are not cross connected, also they are prone to being crushed during controller re assembly, this causes major signal loss, can you see any signal increase in transmission display in settings, using mine on the MP2 it will keep full bars on HD & RC signal meter for 3-4 miles if line of sight.
Also got to add, if your mini2 goes behind any large objects such as trees or hills, this unit will not make any difference at all, 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz does not penetrate mass very well.

Reactions: Gary R
I live in the mountains of western NC btw. Things are in the way. Installation is not the issue.
Yes, we have lots of obstacles and interference for sure. Most times range is pretty limited before signal loss - even with my Air2. Not flown my new replacement Mini since I got it over a year ago. Much prefer the Air2 in all flying conditions comparative to the Mini.

I live not to far away and love to go explore WNC with drone. Definitely see a signal loss down in the valleys, it’s a trade off, get father away from object to have less interference and see same object or get higher and not see object potentially.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143