DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Lobster Boat

JamieK

Reactions
So this in an interesting shot if only because I still have the MP that took it.

As a bit of background, my neighbour is a lobster fisherman. We've talked many times about me going lobster fishing with him. This morning the stars aligned and I was able to go out with him.

Now the interesting bit, I've never flown off a moving vehicle let alone a boat. Turns out it's not all that easy to land on a moving object. When it came time to land, at the speed he was moving I had to be in sport mode in order to over take him. I flew it as low to the transom as I could thinking that I could match his speed once I got to open deck and land it. After a couple of failed attempts I knew that strategy wouldn't work. Another complication was that he wasn't keeping the boat heading in a straight line which meant I had to make steering adjustments through this ordeal and it would have made a hand catch very difficult indeed. What I ended up doing was flicking it from sport to normal as soon as I crossed the transom then pulled the left stick down all the way and the right stick up all the way. The MP beeped a couple obstruction warnings but it did come down to the deck and slid along it for a foot or so until the motors stopped, didn't hit anything either. Yep, got my heart rate up for sure.

Ultimately it was a great learning experience and I was happy that I hadn't brought the Mini 2 as I don't think the Mini 2 would have been able to keep up with the boat.DJI_0004 - 2.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the story and the pic!

Reactions: JamieK
That picture brings back a lot of memories for me growing up in NB. I've been on quite a few lobster boats there. Thanks for sharing!

That is a great shot...I would think that the Captain would be a little more cooperative ..no video?..Vid in AccuTrac would be so cool....you know...with Jaws theme in the background

Reactions: Tufargon
That is a great shot...I would think that the Captain would be a little more cooperative ..no video?..Vid in AccuTrac would be so cool....you know...with Jaws theme in the background
It's their job. Kinda like asking a trucker to stop and look at the scenery while on the road. At least the ones i'm used to going on the boats with.

It's their job. Kinda like asking a trucker to stop and look at the scenery while on the road. At least the ones i'm used to going on the boats with.
Nailed it, I was being as unobtrusive as possible. He asked me later how I landed it, only that he saw me take off. He wants to go out again after the season so that we could get some better shots.

Reactions: Tufargon
Reminds me of when I was a Kid, and we went over to my Great-Grandpop's farm to help bail hay. My Dad sent us over there every year to build our muscles. Old Pop drove the tractor, pulling the bailer & Hay wagon, and we knew if one of us fell off the wagon, he might as well wait until he comes around again, because he never looks back!! LOL Mind is set on doing the job he set out to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon and JamieK
Great memories. I ran 1000 stonecrab traps for 40 yrs in Florida. Hard job but miss it. My boat in my avatar is a New England lobster hull. Done the same way, we rarely came to a stop or ran a straight line. Need to practice my landings. ?

So this in an interesting shot if only because I still have the MP that took it.

As a bit of background, my neighbour is a lobster fisherman. We've talked many times about me going lobster fishing with him. This morning the stars aligned and I was able to go out with him.

Now the interesting bit, I've never flown off a moving vehicle let alone a boat. Turns out it's not all that easy to land on a moving object. When it came time to land, at the speed he was moving I had to be in sport mode in order to over take him. I flew it as low to the transom as I could thinking that I could match his speed once I got to open deck and land it. After a couple of failed attempts I knew that strategy wouldn't work. Another complication was that he wasn't keeping the boat heading in a straight line which meant I had to make steering adjustments through this ordeal and it would have made a hand catch very difficult indeed. What I ended up doing was flicking it from sport to normal as soon as I crossed the transom then pulled the left stick down all the way and the right stick up all the way. The MP beeped a couple obstruction warnings but it did come down to the deck and slid along it for a foot or so until the motors stopped, didn't hit anything either. Yep, got my heart rate up for sure.

Ultimately it was a great learning experience and I was happy that I hadn't brought the Mini 2 as I don't think the Mini 2 would have been able to keep up with the boat.View attachment 130971
Very Nice Photo....it would be nice in a 5x7 frame for the boat owner

Reactions: JamieK and Tufargon

Ultimately it was a great learning experience and I was happy that I hadn't brought the Mini 2 as I don't think the Mini 2 would have been able to keep up with the boat.View attachment 130971
Great shot. I love filming boats with my drone. You get a new perspective that no one has seen before. Here's one of my favorite drone shots from Ireland.boat.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22