DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Local News Station running this Story

Prop Wash

Premium Pilot
Reactions
My local news station is running this story on their website and a video version on the broadcast tonight.
Dangerous Drones - Their focus is on the drones, specifically near fires, which we've had our share this year. This causes aircraft to be grounded. Only once to do they mention 'somone' flying one, but says flying it near the airport is violating the airspace rules. BUT they don't mention the possibility of LAANC authorization. And I don't see anything in there where they could refer pilots to the FAA for the rules.

EDIT: I went to the station website to basically say pilots fly the drones. Some pilots may not fly by the rules, yet some pilots may not know the rules. I provided some of the FAA drone website links in hopes they could "Balance" their story. Maybe nothing will come of it, but I thought it was right to do. I'll let you know if I hear anything back. (not holding my breath)

Last edited:
Typical hit piece by an uninformed reporter. It's sad what passes as "journalism" these days.

Yep, just more "sensational" news pieces by someone who did not do their due diligence to make a story.

Glad you responded with FACTS, which to many these days means diddly squat. If the reporter said it, must be true!

Good for you and good job ! It's not right and you helped set some things straight, or tried anyways !

My local news station is running this story on their website and a video version on the broadcast tonight.
Dangerous Drones - Their focus is on the drones, specifically near fires, which we've had our share this year. This causes aircraft to be grounded. Only once to do they mention 'somone' flying one, but says flying it near the airport is violating the airspace rules. BUT they don't mention the possibility of LAANC authorization. And I don't see anything in there where they could refer pilots to the FAA for the rules.

EDIT: I went to the station website to basically say pilots fly the drones. Some pilots may not fly by the rules, yet some pilots may not know the rules. I provided some of the FAA drone website links in hopes they could "Balance" their story. Maybe nothing will come of it, but I thought it was right to do. I'll let you know if I hear anything back. (not holding my breath)
Mebe true but I, and imagine all appreciate you being proactive ! Thanks Prop Wash Godspeed Droniac

I think it’s “special” that the gentleman wants to educate us on the rules set forth … in which the percentage of us follow if not fairly strict about them? I’m wondering if he knows Trust recreation rules v 107, etc. The blanket clause approach and the piece was imo that nothing was going on to interesting so the producer quipped hey play the “Danger Drone piece”. I watched it the second time and realized how much time they devoted to it as well. Ouch. God protect our birds and us! Sheeesh. -Droniac

Reactions: GFields
November and May are the two big ratings periods for stations, sweeps. They will always try and put together some sensational type stories to out do the other local stations. Better ratings means more advertising dollars.

Reactions: Prop Wash

Being into RC my whole life as a Hobbiest,not even doing this for a living, all this "big bad drones" talk makes me furious.I have seen a lot of this and one news reporter was talking about how drones were heavier than cell phones and drones are on the rise etc.. imagine if one hit a car" (???) This is all complete and Total ignorance. Why not pick on the fact that everyone on earth has a smart phone and how much damage they already have and will continue to do while using them in their cars.
What's the point,get rid of drones and make more laws we don't want because of a few bad apples - aka or total idiots. I hope to God they don't keep putting drones in a bad light but rather start showing how they are the future and here to stay. They are only going to continue to get better.

Reactions: Prop Wash
One-sided commentary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803