DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Location of Drone vs Controller (icon)

samt2

Reactions
I thought that the icon at the bottom of the screen was supposed to guide you to the location of your drone by lining up your position, the signal direction, and the drone. In my pic, I'm lined up and pointing the antenna/control station directly at the drone, but as you can see the icon has it angled about 30* off. Is this normal?
01ddb427f4b6848c9366f2d225b1380f.jpg

In order to get the dot, the signal, and the triangle to line up, I have to hold the controller at a 45* angle sideways while pointing it towards the drone.

Seems like to me if I held the controller in a normal position and pointed it towards the drone everything should line up. Since it doesn't, that's why I'm asking if this is normal.

Your device compass is likely needing calibration by rotating it in a figure 8 repeatedly until it is correct. You can do this while it is attached to the RC and during flight. The Hall Effect throws mine off by 90° on my M2 midflight sometimes. I do the figure 8 and it restores itself again.

Your device compass is likely needing calibration by rotating it in a figure 8 repeatedly until it is correct. You can do this while it is attached to the RC and during flight. The Hall Effect throws mine off by 90° on my M2 midflight sometimes. I do the figure 8 and it restores itself again.
I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Probably making matters worse, we usually have our devices almost vertical.
Not sure if that affects the compass accuracy relative to the app, but the intended MA2 phone mounting would certainly exacerbate that, when the phone is tipped up to see the screen better. Any support for that? I've never played around with it to know. My iPad is almost horizontal and still goes crazy about 10 minutes into some flights, until I do the figure 8 again.

I’ve given up with that icon ... pop the map up for an accurate position..

I’ve given up with that icon ... pop the map up for an accurate position..
They operate based upon the same compass in the tablet/phone. If one is off, so is the other, if you are wanting to determine whether you are pointing the antennas directly at the drone, and where to find it in the sky when landing.

My phone it works great the point of the triangle is the way the drone is facing and the position is where it is from me. On my tablet, that has no internet sometimes I get a triangle behind me and it never correlates to the drones position, most of the times I get nothing in that area.

Reactions: hiflyer201
My phone it works great the point of the triangle is the way the drone is facing and the position is where it is from me. On my tablet, that has no internet sometimes I get a triangle behind me and it never correlates to the drones position, most of the times I get nothing in that area.
Most noncellular Android tablets lack a compass.

It seems that you are standing very close to the drone. What you saw can be just due to GPS location error of the drone and that of the phone. Try to get further away from the drone and check again.

Reactions: samt2
It seems that you are standing very close to the drone. What you saw can be just due to GPS location error of the drone and that of the phone. Try to get further away from the drone and check again.
It isn't a GPS issue. It's a compass issue. That's what the display represents. I'm sure they are accurately displayed on the zoomed in map, relative to each other.

They operate based upon the same compass in the tablet/phone. If one is off, so is the other, if you are wanting to determine whether you are pointing the antennas directly at the drone, and where to find it in the sky when landing.
I am aware of that. Even with a calibrated compass though the angle is off due to interference from the controller. I have seen people put the phone in at an angle in the other Mavic controllers to compensate for it being off but tbh popping the map up is 100% accurate in my view..and it takes but a second...

It isn't a GPS issue. It's a compass issue. That's what the display represents. I'm sure they are accurately displayed on the zoomed in map, relative to each other.

It can be due to compass or GPS error.

E.g. if the drone is place to the north of the RC but just 3 meters away. The RC is pointing towards the drone. All sensors are accurate but there is a GPS error of 3 meters in the drone's position, say, it's shifted to the west, the angular error will be 45 degrees and you will see what's shown in the OP's screen capture.

With the same magnitude of GPS error but the drone is placed further away, say, 10 meters from the RC, the angular error will be much less on the radar display. This will be a more faithful indication of the compass accuracy. Of course if the angular error remains the same, then the compass will need be calibrated.

Last edited:
I am aware of that. Even with a calibrated compass though the angle is off due to interference from the controller. I have seen people put the phone in at an angle in the other Mavic controllers to compensate for it being off but tbh popping the map up is 100% accurate in my view..and it takes but a second...
In my experience with the Mavic 2, the map itself is completely off, until the compass is recalibrated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000