DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lock custom white balance from picture taken of 18% grey card?

coffee-king

Reactions
Hi guys
Just wondering if this is possible?
Take a picture of a grey 18% card with my Mavic Pro while hovering, then tell it to use THIS image as the correct white balance and lock it in?
I can do this with all my DSLRs but suspect its not possible with the Mavic Pro (Yet possibly)

Thanks

Yes it is possible and I do it all the time with the Mavic.

Here's how: go to camera settings and choose auto. Get a reading from your grey card and make a note of the Kelvin value coming from your white bal indication on the main screen, top. Go back to settings, switch to manual white balance and set it to that value.

You are now locked and loaded.

Bummer. There is another way.

For a while I used an app on my phone which gave me the k value. I simply read from a grey or white area, and then plugged that into Go4, custom wb.

What is a grey 18% card ?o_O

Check your preferred source for photographic equipment, or just search Amazon for '18% gray card'

It used to be mostly used by photographers as a reference to achieve a standardized exposure across different lighting conditions, but it is also used in a similar way for white balance.

Man this is annoying.

Download one of the third party, white balance apps. There are several out there. Mine is called "color temp meter", and it's pretty accurate.

Get your reading, and insert it into GO 4, custom. A little more work but it accomplishes your goal.

I just looked on my iPhone 6+ and it definitely gives me the K Value number. I just got the value of 6000 from a sheet of printer paper and entered that value. I'll see how that works and maybe adjust from there.

IMG_2859.PNG

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
I just looked on my iPhone 6+ and it definitely gives me the K Value number. I just got the value of 6000 from a sheet of printer paper and entered that value. I'll see how that works and maybe adjust from there.

View attachment 12271
When you have AUTO White Balance selected on an iPhone it just shows the word AUTO it does NOT tell you the K number.
If you go into CUSTOM White Balance you can see and adjust the K number.

This isnt what I'm talking about though.

I still want to be able to take a picture of a grey 18% card with my Mavic Pro while hovering, then tell it to use THIS image as the correct white balance and lock it in. Which IS NOT actually possible on iOS or Android.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots