DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long Island

Originally from Long Island and fly there all the time. Dune Road, Greenport, North Shore and South Shore Beaches, the Grumman
park in Calverton, Shelter Island, Montauk, possibilities are endless.

Fire Island is a national park so it’s a no go. Here are some of my videos.

Reactions: Droniac and Pet5248
Thanks, this should get me started. I too was looking for some places to try out my new Mavic mini.
On a separate note, which might be helpful to everyone here; were you ever stopped/questioned by anyone while flying the drone?

Thanks, this should get me started. I too was looking for some places to try out my new Mavic mini.
On a separate note, which might be helpful to everyone here; were you ever stopped/questioned by anyone while flying the drone?

I’ve never been stopped or questioned once by authorities in 4+ years anywhere I’ve been with my drones. I once had a man tell me I was on his property. He was nice I said sorry and left.

I try to find a discreet place to take off and land from away from crowds.I bring a minimal setup. No big cases or flashy landing pads (if it’s not needed). I try to never draw any attention to myself.

I am a firm believer in if someone says something... simply say sorry, land the drone and leave.

I live in East Northport and would be glad to meet local drone pilots some day. One awesome spot to fly is at Weld Nature Sanctuary/Short Beach. Unfortunately, the parking on Short Beach during summer is open to Smithtown residents only.

Reactions: projectarjun
I currently live in East Meadow and currently in the process of purchasing the Mavic Air 2 or the Phantom 4 Pro. I was searching through some posts and people mentioned that they haven't had issues at Eisenhower Park but those post were about a year to 2 years ago and was wondering if that is still the case and that the park hasn't implemented any rules since then. Was looking at google maps and looks like field 6 might be a good spot. I have tried to search online for any rules and regulations regarding drones for Eisenhower Park and haven't really come across much.

1595912321197.png

I know right!! It kinda sucks that it is so difficult to persue something like this.
I understand that there needs to be some sort of regulations to make it safer for everyone but I feel that at this point - it's nothing but a hassle to find a good location.

Anyways. Sorry about the rant. And do let us know if you find such a place.

There's a little street right behind the Long Beach, Long Island Rail Road station, right on the channel. I flew there the other day and it was very nice. It's right between the LIRR lift bridge and the Long Beach road bridge that goes from Island Park to LB. I also found another interesting place the week before. As you go south on the Robert Moses Causeway, just before you go over the last small drawbridge to Captree State Park, there's an exit for Captree Island. It's not quite within the State Park, and it was another good place to fly. You have nice water scenes, and I got watch an Egret catching fish about 25 feet from me. Another one is a parking field in Lido Beach just to the east of the Loop Parkway bridge on the bay side. Lastly, look up Stilwell Woods Park. It's north of Jericho Turnpike in Syosset. Sometimes its crowded on weekends, but if you can get there on a weekday, when it's not crowded, its an enormous open field where you can see your drone until it gets too small to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: projectarjun
I just discovered that the Town of Oyster Bay will issue a permit for off-season flying in any Town park. It is good for 10/1 to 4/30. It is free and requires AMA membership. You can fly anywhere else in the Town subject to FAA and any other local restrictions without a permit. I am not aware of any local restrictions but there may be some. The in-season permit is more restrictive requiring specific approval for each flight but also only applies to Town facilities. Very pleasant people in the Town Clerk's office.

It was a painless process to apply. They emailed me the application which I returned by email and then they emailed the permit that day.

I just discovered that the Town of Oyster Bay will issue a permit for off-season flying in any Town park. It is good for 10/1 to 4/30. It is free and requires AMA membership. You can fly anywhere else in the Town subject to FAA and any other local restrictions without a permit. I am not aware of any local restrictions but there may be some. The in-season permit is more restrictive requiring specific approval for each flight but also only applies to Town facilities. Very pleasant people in the Town Clerk's office.

It was a painless process to apply. They emailed me the application which I returned by email and then they emailed the permit that day.

That's great about the off season permit. Who did you email at the Town Of Oyster Bay?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy