DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long time pilot from Newfoundland Canada

Niblett

Reactions
Good day all...

Well I’m pretty excited to be joining this group and learning about the new toy I have on the way.
I used to build flame wheels back in the day, 450’s and 550. Sold it all and bought a Yuneec Q500, not bad but when I saw the H I went all in on that and sold the Q. I still own a YTH but haven’t tested it since being returned from service (GPS/Compass-2 months gone). After reading and watching all I can and getting some input from friends that also have the Mavic Pro, I pulled the trigger on a refurbished unit direct from DJI. Hoping to use my iPad mini 2 (just wifi) for video and control. Any tips or tricks, do’s or don’t s greatly appreciated. (Please don’t hate on my Yuneec H , I’m diverse in my platforms) :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Good day all...

Well I’m pretty excited to be joining this group and learning about the new toy I have on the way.
I used to build flame wheels back in the day, 450’s and 550. Sold it all and bought a Yuneec Q500, not bad but when I saw the H I went all in on that and sold the Q. I still own a YTH but haven’t tested it since being returned from service (GPS/Compass-2 months gone). After reading and watching all I can and getting some input from friends that also have the Mavic Pro, I pulled the trigger on a refurbished unit direct from DJI. Hoping to use my iPad mini 2 (just wifi) for video and control. Any tips or tricks, do’s or don’t s greatly appreciated. (Please don’t hate on my Yuneec H , I’m diverse in my platforms) :)
Howdy from Wyoming @Niblett , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: Niblett
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR QUICK START GUIDE: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/Mavic Air Quick Start Guide v1.0 .pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Thanks very much... I guess the first question is what will be the better of the two for best experience between an iPhone 5s and an iPad mini 2 (wifi only)? I may be interested in an upgrade later, just maybe the crystal sky (would that even support the follow me function?). Thanks

I can't recommend which iDevice you get since I use Android, but I would look for a used remote controller (if you do not want to buy new). You see them on this forum from time-to-time. It will give you better range and independence from an app that might crash.

I can't recommend which iDevice you get since I use Android, but I would look for a used remote controller (if you do not want to buy new). You see them on this forum from time-to-time. It will give you better range and independence from an app that might crash.

I’m pretty sure the unit comes with a remote control. Not sure I understand otherwise.

I’m pretty sure the unit comes with a remote control. Not sure I understand otherwise.
The source of my confusion:
...Hoping to use my iPad mini 2 (just wifi) for video and control. ...
You can buy a refurbished Mavic to replace a crashed one and pair it to the remote you already own or fly without remote using WiFi.

The source of my confusion:

You can buy a refurbished Mavic to replace a crashed one and pair it to the remote you already own or fly without remote using WiFi.

Now I’m really confused....

I have a refurbished Mavic Pro basic package (including remote) on the way. I’m wondering what most would say (based on perhaps experience) about what would be better, the iPad mini 2, or the iPhone 5s.

Sorry for the confusion

Edit*. By “control” I mean the features provided by a touch screen incorporated into the remote. I see how you got confused lol

Last edited:
Now I’m really confused....l
Sorry about that. I didn't word it properly. You can buy a Mavic without a radio controller and fly it with your phone only using a WiFi connection. That's what I originally thought you planned to do.
You should have no problems using the iPhone. Just make sure it is fully charged before flying.
Oh, and have fun:)!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair