DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long time to hit 400ft.... Oops

ElkySS

Reactions
I live in Oklahoma so obviously have to adhere to the faa guidelines of max altitude of 400ft. I usually fly with my galaxy note phone but recently purchased a galaxy tab S6 in part to use while I fly. Bought a nice mount for it and new longer data cable today. I was excited to get my MA2 in the air with it. First thing I did was set the max altitude to 400 and do the tutorial. I'm sure there's a way to skip it, but it's short so whatever. Time to fly with my new much larger screen. As I passed 121ft I got a warning saying I may be in violation of law..... I thought, "that's odd" but carried on. A bit later I thought, "this is taking a long time to hit 400ft." finally I hit my max altitude. I looked in the bottom left of the screen to drop a few feet and then I saw my mistake. I'm sure 99% of you saw the problem when I got that warning at 121ft. I was still in metric! So 121m was my 400ft cap and now I'm hovering at 1312ft. I only live a few miles from Tulsa Airport (outside the reduced max altitude zones so still in a 400ft zone) so I poo'd a little and couldn't drop altitude fast enough. Lol. Glad there wasn't a plane in the area or something. Dropped down to just above the trees before I stopped long enough to change it to imperial.

Moral of the story: don't be so excited you do something dumb. And if it feels wrong it probably is. ?

Howdy
Things happen you know , it’s very easy with all the stuff you need in your head when flying and setting up to fly .
Welcome to the “ I ducked up club” , if we are all honest about it it’s a big club !!.

The main thing is you reacted to the issue and reduced your elevation quickly and it’s a mistake you probably won’t do again .
So don’t beat yourself up about it .
I’m a little surprised it let you go past the legal altitude with all the safety features on the drones these days .

Reactions: TreeHugger
I live in a semi rural area of NSW, Australia. I have a few mountains where I fly up from down below. As in the US, Australia’s drone altitude max is 120m = 393.8ft. As the home point is always the height the MA2’s measuring from, it makes it a tricky exercise to keep legal when you’re pelting up a mountainside in sports mode. I set the RC altitude to max to allow me to climb up, and stay what I “believe”? is well under 120 meters below me at all times.

Reactions: Lionfish and Gindra
Howdy
Things happen you know , it’s very easy with all the stuff you need in your head when flying and setting up to fly .
Welcome to the “ I ducked up club” , if we are all honest about it it’s a big club !!.

The main thing is you reacted to the issue and reduced your elevation quickly and it’s a mistake you probably won’t do again .
So don’t beat yourself up about it .
I’m a little surprised it let you go past the legal altitude with all the safety features on the drones these days .
I live in a county where search and rescue helicopters often fly very low unexpectedly so my Pre arranged plan in my head is to quick click gimble down and descend as low as possible as quickly as possible as soon as I hear a chopper in the UK no DJI near by aircraft warning available yet

Reactions: Lionfish
I live in Oklahoma so obviously have to adhere to the faa guidelines of max altitude of 400ft. I usually fly with my galaxy note phone but recently purchased a galaxy tab S6 in part to use while I fly. Bought a nice mount for it and new longer data cable today. I was excited to get my MA2 in the air with it. First thing I did was set the max altitude to 400 and do the tutorial. I'm sure there's a way to skip it, but it's short so whatever. Time to fly with my new much larger screen. As I passed 121ft I got a warning saying I may be in violation of law..... I thought, "that's odd" but carried on. A bit later I thought, "this is taking a long time to hit 400ft." finally I hit my max altitude. I looked in the bottom left of the screen to drop a few feet and then I saw my mistake. I'm sure 99% of you saw the problem when I got that warning at 121ft. I was still in metric! So 121m was my 400ft cap and now I'm hovering at 1312ft. I only live a few miles from Tulsa Airport (outside the reduced max altitude zones so still in a 400ft zone) so I poo'd a little and couldn't drop altitude fast enough. Lol. Glad there wasn't a plane in the area or something. Dropped down to just above the trees before I stopped long enough to change it to imperial.

Moral of the story: don't be so excited you do something dumb. And if it feels wrong it probably is. ?
We all can make mistakes, I just hope you videoed it because you won't see the area from that altitude again.

Oops.

You are in good company, however. NASA crashed a probe into Mars because somebody had the wrong system in mind.

I did something similar, but I was looking at the distance thinking it was the height.... I was like there is no way that hit 400 ft already haha

Reactions: Lionfish
Driving a rentalcar last year, I accidentaly swithced from KM to Miles and wondered why 60 was so fast...

Things like this happen, not good, but as long as you do not do it intentionally and more then once, it is human.

Where do you live ??? I live on Hiway 20 north of Owasso ...

We lived there for a coupla of yrs back in the day when I worked for Phillips 66, we loved B'Ville !!

I came here for a job at ABB but got laid off, like about everyone else in Bartlesville right now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka