DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking at a new 16" MBP for Photo/Video Editing

Mav1c

Reactions
As the title states, I'm in the market for a new computer. I've been maxing out my current 2018 13" MBP with 8gb of ram. I didn't realize it was not upgradable when I bought it and do not want to make that mistake again. I'm pricing out a 2020 and this is what I've settled on. I cannot believe how much they're charging but oh well. My current machine gets so hot when merging HDR photos I could use it as a bed pan and FCPX freezes/crashes frequently when editing 4K. Oh and not to mention the current graphics card stutters when playing 4K video. Looking to fix all of those issues. For those who do similar work with their machines or own one of these 16" models, can you tell me what you think of these specs? Thanks for any insight!

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 10.51.06 PM.png

Reactions: hiflyer201
nothing beats a desktop with a kickass graphics card. Are you fully resigned on the MBP?

nothing beats a desktop with a kickass graphics card. Are you fully resigned on the MBP?
yeah I have to be able to travel with it. I have an external monitor set up for the desk at home

ahh ok, then you are prob on the right track for portable editing

Reactions: Mav1c
As the title states, I'm in the market for a new computer. I've been maxing out my current 2018 13" MBP with 8gb of ram. I didn't realize it was not upgradable when I bought it and do not want to make that mistake again. I'm pricing out a 2020 and this is what I've settled on. I cannot believe how much they're charging but oh well. My current machine gets so hot when merging HDR photos I could use it as a bed pan and FCPX freezes/crashes frequently when editing 4K. Oh and not to mention the current graphics card stutters when playing 4K video. Looking to fix all of those issues. For those who do similar work with their machines or own one of these 16" models, can you tell me what you think of these specs? Thanks for any insight!

View attachment 108447

View attachment 108447

This is my configuration. I am using All Adobe products including Creative Suite Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro and After Effects. I am on vacation in Montana doing a ton of video and believe me it is still slowing down. I don't know much about computer specs but what I DO know is that the more money I spend the faster my computer goes. Here is the configuration of my Mac Book Pro, less than a year old.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 8.03.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 8.03.28 AM.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Dale's MacBookPro.jpg
    Dale's MacBookPro.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 13
I have a similar MacBook Pro configuration as Dale, but am seeing lags during editing, rendering and exporting via DaVinci Resolve. So I’m either looking at trying out an external GPU case and video card (displaying on a secondary monitor), or switching to Final Cut Pro X or back to the Adobe creative cloud suite. So the editing software you select is a critical choice.

Is anyone out there using an external GPU, and seeing signifIcant performance improvement?

I agree that a powerful desktop is a better video editing/rendering system, but the ability to be mobile is key to me, too.

I have a similar MacBook Pro configuration as Dale, but am seeing lags during editing, rendering and exporting via DaVinci Resolve. So I’m either looking at trying out an external GPU case and video card (displaying on a secondary monitor), or switching to Final Cut Pro X or back to the Adobe creative cloud suite. So the editing software you select is a critical choice.

Is anyone out there using an external GPU, and seeing signifIcant performance improvement?

I agree that a powerful desktop is a better video editing/rendering system, but the ability to be mobile is key to me, too.

To be quite frank with you all, I just tried to video edit a small sequence here in my vacation condo with the Mac Book Pro, and it took so much longer than my powerful desktop iMAC at home in Miami, that I am saving all of my video files from my 5 weeks here in Montana until I get home to Miami in 4 more weeks and then I will be able to do the full editing. And I bought the 2nd most expensive processor for this Mac Book Pro knowing that I needed a lot of RAM !! There is no question that Premiere Pro needs a lot of power and if you have a so so computer you will probably need to edit in PROXIES.

I read on various tech sites that you may want to wait until Apple moves to its own processors, which is happening as we speak.

Reactions: pelagic_one
There is no question that Premiere Pro needs a lot of power and if you have a so so computer you will probably need to edit in PROXIES.
Thanks for the reminder, as I need to watch YouTube videos and read-up online about editing in proxies.

I read on various tech sites that you may want to wait until Apple moves to its own processors, which is happening as we speak.

Yes, and that can go both ways, need to really see how good the proposed ARM chips are compared to the current Intel...it makes sense to delay any purchase now, till the end of the year...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7