DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking at Mavic 3 ,now have mavic air 2

I have all 3 the Air 2 the Air 2S and the Mavic 3 and although the Mavic 3 does not have optical zoom , the zoom that it does have in 2 x 4 x 7 is really nice to have for taking photos . Keep in mind that several of the main features are not working yet with the drone until the Software update that has not been released yet. Just a few main things are working now.

Overall it would be a huge upgrade over the Air 2 and nice Upgrade over the Air 2S .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain . Land on the Water.

I have all 3 the Air 2 the Air 2S and the Mavic 3 and although the Mavic 3 does not have optical zoom , the zoom that it does have in 2 x 4 x 7 is really nice to have for taking photos . Keep in mind that several of the main features are not working yet with the drone until the Software update that has not been released yet. Just a few main things are working now.

Overall it would be a huge upgrade over the Air 2 and nice Upgrade over the Air 2S .

Phantomrain.org
Here’s a question I get mix answers to…
Is the M3 capable of recording in HLG?

I have a question for anyone that may have the Mavic 3 and also mavic air 2.
Would the M3 make that big of a difference from the air 2 to consider upgrading.
I do mostly still photography,over water shipwreck photos.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I think the answer depends entirely on your personal circumstances.

There is an element of diminishing returns with how much you invest in a drone and how much extra performance you get out of it. The main advantage of the M3 over Air 2 is the significantly larger sensor, which helps with low light conditions. The OA system is also much better, but you still want to fly very carefully with something so expensive.

If we use the Mavic 3 Cine performance as the benchmark at 100%, you get something like this:

Mavic 3 Cine Combo - 100% - $4999
Mavic 3 Fly More - 96% - $2999
Air 2S Fly More - 90% - $1299
Air 2 Fly More - 85% - $988
Mini 2 Fly More - 80% - $599

I was going to include the Mini 1, but it's no longer for sale by DJI, I would have rated it at 70%.

Also, I compared the Fly More package for each drone because I don't think it's feasible to use just one battery with any drone, so it is the most reasonable and fair comparison.

So, back to the original question. It depends on what exactly you need your drone for and what $3000 means to you. If I had complete financial freedom (wealthy enough to live off interest and investment dividends), I'd buy the Cine Combo without much though. Given that I don't live in such a fantasy, my personal cost-benefit optimization is keeping my Air 2 or upgrading to Air 2S (and selling my Air 2) if I can get a good deal on it.

Phantomrain.org
I appreciate the advice,I may wait on the M3 until January when the firmware is updated,flying days for me right now
are going to be few and far between ,having our first snowfall of the season right now.
The 4/3 sensor flight time and variable apperature are the important areas for me.
The Mavic air 2 has been great for me so far,but it may be getting close to an upgrade.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Have a great day.

I'm cool at 85% (ie. MA2 FMC) - suits all my requirements. As others have no doubt noted, seems very bizarre releasing a new model (MA3) at $$$$$ (or £££££ here in UK) which may have some fancier features, that are hamstrung from the outset 'until new software arrives' to activate them (?!)

Reactions: Rchawks
I'm very impressed with my MA 2 ability to handle strong wind. I've missed many a day because of horror stories I've read about losing a drone in the wind when I shouldn't have given it a second thought. On the other hand at a $1000 dollars I'm comfortable with, but with $5,000 up there flying around,,, I don't know- what happened honey, can I have another 5 grand for my entertainment.o_O That's a lot of overtime money for someone such as I. After I see what happens with rid I may change my mind in the future. After all Life is short might as well have fun while I can.

Reactions: Pallidin
I'm very impressed with my MA 2 ability to handle strong wind. I've missed many a day because of horror stories I've read about losing a drone in the wind when I shouldn't have given it a second thought. On the other hand at a $1000 dollars I'm comfortable with, but with $5,000 up there flying around,,, I don't know- what happened honey, can I have another 5 grand for my entertainment.o_O That's a lot of overtime money for someone such as I. After I see what happens with rid I may change my mind in the future. After all Life is short might as well have fun while I can.
I agree 100%,my MA 2 has treated me great so far.
I have also flown in pretty windy conditions out over
Lake Michigan to photograph old shipwrecks,and the drone is rock steady.
Kinda looking at the fly more combo M3 not the cine version,maybe early next year,and if I upgrade
to this the air 2 I will surely keep.

Fella's, I only have a Spark and Air2, and the Air2 has exceeded all my relatively mild expectations. Especially Ocusync 2.0
Of course I no longer fly the Spark... Though it is a formidable drone in its own right. I cut my teeth on the Spark.
I enjoy flying when and where I can with the Air2. The stability, the control, the photos and videos floor me every time.
I'm sure I would be even more impressed with the Air2s or M3, but I can't afford either one and honestly am perfectly happy with my Air2.
Love everyone's posts. Drones ROCK!!!!!

Fella's, I only have a Spark and Air2, and the Air2 has exceeded all my relatively mild expectations. Especially Ocusync 2.0
Of course I no longer fly the Spark... Though it is a formidable drone in its own right. I cut my teeth on the Spark.
I enjoy flying when and where I can with the Air2. The stability, the control, the photos and videos floor me every time.
I'm sure I would be even more impressed with the Air2s or M3, but I can't afford either one and honestly am perfectly happy with my Air2.
Love everyone's posts. Drones ROCK!!!!!
The air 2 is really good,I would kinda like the M3 maybe next year sometime,do not know yet.
And yes the price of the M3 is hard to swallow,If i became desperate enough to get the M3 now without
telling my wife,well lets just say at best the garage would be my new home.
Have a good day

If the basic package of Drone and battery would have been $1600 or 1700 I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Everyone's threshold is different. I rarely fly my MM anymore, the MA2 has so much more kick. I also considered the FPV but my neighbors would hate the noise, and screaming that thing over the city, well not for me. I am curious about what DJI will offer in the future to satisfy the sub $2000 market.
As a side note you may require a more powerful computer or tv set to keep up with all the processing power of the M3 software,, not to mention very large files to store and deal with.

Last edited:
I watched several MA2s vs M3 comparisons online and for me personally the justification for the M3 just isn't there yet.
I purchased the MA2s last weekend, I will very likely end up with a M3 but I'm going to let the platform mature a bit before dropping $3000

I too have been considering the M3 or the Air 2S as a long overdue upgrade to my Spark and P3S. Either drone would be a huge upgrade from what I currently have. I shoot mostly photos. I do a lot of panoramic shots, some sunsets and ruins from early settlements in the 1900s.

The M3 appeals to me because of the micro 4/3 camera, variable aperture, the tele camera, and especially because the operating temperature is rated down to -10ºC (I do a lot of flying in cold weather), but the high price is making me wonder if it is worth it for my uses. The basic M3 is $1000 more than the Air 2S FMC. The Air 2S seems like it would be an excellent fit for me BUT it is only rated down to 0ºC and since I fly a lot in sub zero temps, that worries me.

@Calm Winds have you considered the Air 2S? From what I have read the camera on the A2S is quite a step up from the MA2 and you could use your existing batteries from the MA2.

Chris

Hi Chris
I too have been considering the M3 or the Air 2S as a long overdue upgrade to my Spark and P3S. Either drone would be a huge upgrade from what I currently have. I shoot mostly photos. I do a lot of panoramic shots, some sunsets and ruins from early settlements in the 1900s.

The M3 appeals to me because of the micro 4/3 camera, variable aperture, the tele camera, and especially because the operating temperature is rated down to -10ºC (I do a lot of flying in cold weather), but the high price is making me wonder if it is worth it for my uses. The basic M3 is $1000 more than the Air 2S FMC. The Air 2S seems like it would be an excellent fit for me BUT it is only rated down to 0ºC and since I fly a lot in sub zero temps, that worries me.

@Calm Winds have you considered the Air 2S? From what I have read the camera on the A2S is quite a step up from the MA2 and you could use your existing batteries from the MA2.

Chris
Hi Chris
Actually I have considered the air2s,and could yet go that rout as I have the MA2 fly more and that would give me
4 batteries total.Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Ah yes decisions decisions.i know what you mean about the big sensor on the M3,that and where I take photos is
the battery life as I like to take shipwreck photos.
The extended battery time in the air is probably the single most attractive part for me.
Have a good one.

Reactions: Chrislaf
If the basic package of Drone and battery would have been $1600 or 1700 I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Everyone's threshold is different. I rarely fly my MM anymore, the MA2 has so much more kick. I also considered the FPV but my neighbors would hate the noise, and screaming that thing over the city, well not for me. I am curious about what DJI will offer in the future to satisfy the sub $2000 market.
As a side note you may require a more powerful computer or tv set to keep up with all the processing power of the M3 software,, not to mention very large files to store and deal with.
I know what you mean about a more powerful computer,my imac is going to be 10 years old next year.I may be going on luck.
so far its been fine,but there is a limit after all .The future will be interesting like you said about the sub 2 grand range.
i am kinda waiting to see what the sub 250g.drones are going to bring.Mostly because of remote ID in 2023.
I do wish the price of the M3 was a little easier to swallow but yikes.You did mention the FPV drone not a bad idea
as the loud noise would drown out the screaming kids,with the neighbors next door to what I have.
oh boy now your giving me ideas.
Have a good day

I agree 100%,my MA 2 has treated me great so far.
I have also flown in pretty windy conditions out over
Lake Michigan to photograph old shipwrecks,and the drone is rock steady.
Kinda looking at the fly more combo M3 not the cine version,maybe early next year,and if I upgrade
to this the air 2 I will surely keep.
How difficult is it to get acceptable photos of the wrecks with the surface broken by the wind? Is it easier with near complete cloud cover (fewer spectrals) or with clear sky when the sun is at its zenith (more light penetration at depth)?

How difficult is it to get acceptable photos of the wrecks with the surface broken by the wind? Is it easier with near complete cloud cover (fewer spectrals) or with clear sky when the sun is at its zenith (more light penetration at depth)?
Hi
The first attempt I tried and took photos were with seas running probably 2 feet,when the water surface was broken by the waves,the worst part was the sun glare off the waves by the wreck sight.Most sky conditions were bright and sunny.
Need as much light as possible getting into the water.
i try to get to the Lake in the early morning when the wind is down and the sun is to my east but not up fully at Zenith yet.Sun glare off the water surface is another issue,so i fly my drone to the wreck location and try as much as I can to keep the sun at my back.That is similar to when my wife and go bird watching and keep the sun behind us as we take photos.So in the end to sum it up,you can get fairly good usable photos,in a broken water surface,but anyway for me,
I pick and choose my days now,well not right now with winter,too cold by the lake for me.
Bright sunny days with no to very little wind,go in the spring to early summer when the water clarity is the best.
around september the plant growth in the shallow waters is in full swing,then forget it for the rest of the year.
After the water gets really warm,heavy rains & thunderstorms no good either for water clarity which in the end
is the most important thing.
The wrecks I have photographed so far are in 10 to 14 feet off water.So far I have photos of a hand full of wrecks
with around six more different shipwrecks planned for next spring and early summer.I just recently found out why
use my drone and see if it will work for nearshore shipwreck photos.I"m by no means an expert at this ,but it sure is
fun.It's not easy as water conditions seem to change daily sometimes.so I have enough wasted mornings.oh well its still
nice being by the water.The only other thing is I wish I had a few more batteries as some mornings i rip through my three
air 2 ones in what it seems like no time at all.I know this response is getting long so have fun if you get a chance to try it out.
Have a great day.

Sony is taking preorders for their drone, starting at a cool $9000.

You can attach a full frame mirrorless to it, so that would add another $3-5k.

If you're making money with your drone, the difference between $5k and $15k could be worth it, if the full frame mirrorless gets you more TV and movies jobs.

Phantomrain.org

I too am considering the M3. BUT, I thought it is variable aperture????

So, if it is variable aperture, doesn't that mean it has optical zoom???

If it only has digital zoom, well I already have that w my AIR 2S by using video mode I can always grab the video frames later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82