DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking at switching from my OG Mavic Pro to the FPV - thoughts?

NimbleNomad9

Reactions
As the header says, looking at going with the FPV.

I like the mavic pro but I’m always a bit worried about flying around trees and obstacles and the phone or iPad screen doesn’t give enough feedback to fly like I want.

The FPV looks like it gives me the capability to do so, and I’m used to VR with my vive.

Any thoughts, inputs, experiences or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Are you saying that you're considering to use goggles together with your Mavic Pro ..?

In that case check what's said about the visual line of sight vs. using googles in your country in order to fly legal. Also note that the peripheral vision will be heavily impacted by using goggles.

If you mean going to a FPV quad & always fly with goggles ..?

If you here are considering the DJI FPV drone kit ... I would advice you to extend your research a bit more. Not saying that the DJI FPV drone is bad ... but it is a hog, have no possibilities to be manually tuned if you decides to test out other props for example & all accessories you can get is more or less non general & can't be reused on another craft in the future ... & they are expensive.

The initial investment going with a DJI FPV drone or a "Bind & Fly" quad like a iFlight Nazgul will be similar weighing in controllers, goggles, batteries & chargers ... but all you buy to a bind & fly quad can be carried over to another or second quad you buy & used there... so in the long run it will be cheaper.

Are you saying that you're considering to use goggles together with your Mavic Pro ..?

In that case check what's said about the visual line of sight vs. using googles in your country in order to fly legal. Also note that the peripheral vision will be heavily impacted by using goggles.

If you mean going to a FPV quad & always fly with goggles ..?

If you here are considering the DJI FPV drone kit ... I would advice you to extend your research a bit more. Not saying that the DJI FPV drone is bad ... but it is a hog, have no possibilities to be manually tuned if you decides to test out other props for example & all accessories you can get is more or less non general & can't be reused on another craft in the future ... & they are expensive.

The initial investment going with a DJI FPV drone or a "Bind & Fly" quad like a iFlight Nazgul will be similar weighing in controllers, goggles, batteries & chargers ... but all you buy to a bind & fly quad can be carried over to another or second quad you buy & used there... so in the long run it will be cheaper.
Unfortunately I don’t think I can use the goggles with the OG Mavic..

And thanks, I’ll take a look into the other points you mentioned!

I like the mavic pro but I’m always a bit worried about flying around trees and obstacles and the phone or iPad screen doesn’t give enough feedback to fly like I want.

The FPV looks like it gives me the capability to do so, and I’m used to VR with my vive.
The DJI FPV is a lot of fun and will give you a good experience..... however it has a one axis gimbal so your footage will almost always have a tilt to it. I really enjoy flying it but couldn't leave behind my Air 2S because of how far it lags behind as a camera drone. If you do want an FPV... now is the time to buy with it on sale everywhere this week at $999 here in the US. You will need to buy the Fly More kit as well as it eats up batteries twice as fast as your Mavic.

Another option if you have a newer phone with high resolution would be to fly in FPV using an app like Litchi or DroneVR . You just buy an inexpensive set of VR goggles and place your phone inside.

Reactions: Jet skier
In the US you would haver to fly with a spotter to be legal.

They advantage of the DJI FPV over traditional FPV drones is the DJI tech. The DJI FPV is flown with googles but like their other camera drones has sensors and GPS to keep it out of trouble so it is easy to fly.

If you really want to fly Acro with rolls and loops then @slup is right.... a traditional FPV drone will outperform the DJI FPV and be cheaper in the long run because repairs are inevitable with this type of flying. To fly the DJI FPV in Acro style you have to turn off all the safety features that make it easy to fly and then its just another FPV drone at a greater expense.

...They advantage of the DJI FPV over traditional FPV drones is the DJI tech. The DJI FPV is flown with googles but like their other camera drones has sensors and GPS to keep it out of trouble so it is easy to fly.
Yeah ... that's semi true nowadays. Even ordinary Acro quads have the possibility for part of that safety.

I have GPS'es on all my acro quads ... providing me with GPS telemetry in the goggles & a RTH functionality in case of a lost connection or through a switch on the radio. It's not as sophisticated regarding the landing as it's meant to return the quad into radio connection where you again take over (if you don't take over it will start to ascend with set speed 200m from HP until it hits ground).

And as a newbie you can wait with acro & instead start to fly in Horizon mode (returns the quad to horizontal angle through the FC gyro when sticks are released, but full rotations are possible) or Angle mode (which prohibits the quad to tilt further than set angle + returns it horizontally when sticks are released). The difference towards the photo drone behavior in both these newbie modes are that you have to handle the height hold ... so you can't just let go of the sticks & let it hover.

So if you're going with anything that have the possibility for Acro ... I recon you have the desire to develop into being able to master full acro. If going with the DJI FPV drone to begin with ... you will outgrow it pretty soon & have to spend again.

Going with a Bind & Fly you have the possibility to get assistance to begin with ... add in some hours in a simulator before you turn it to full free acro ... & you can then live & develop with the same equipment without spending more.

Reactions: Saladshooter

Thanks in advance!
The biggest disadvantage compared to a proper FPV is that if you crash it, it's game over. And if you want to prgress you need to crash :)

That said, I might buy one myself, mostly for getting the fpv-goggles, and I like programming and I would like to try to program FPV-flights. I havn't seen that done, so it would be fun to try.

Unfortunately I don’t think I can use the goggles with the OG Mavic..

And thanks, I’ll take a look into the other points you mentioned!
You can use the Goggles RE with the Mavic Pro and they give you a wonderful FPV experience. With the Mavic Pro you can enable head tracking and fixed wing mode for an exhilarating flight.

Thanks in advance!
I'd pass on the FPV, esp if you fly a lot alone. Very restrictive flying when using goggles on any drone - so a spotter is typically needed and stay within the rules.

I have a buddy who has / had an FPV and he's a cowboy type and the FPV fits him pretty well. If you are that type of person / flyer - then it can be a decent choice. It is pretty expensive and quite different in my opine.

For my money, I'd go with an Air2S. Great drone with great flying and camera opportunities. It's small, compact, and easy to take on a hike with since small and lightweight. The FPV - not so much.

My buddy builds his acrobatic drones mostly, so WHEN he does crash (and he does a lot being a cowboy) - parts are easily replaced and at smaller cost. Won't be that way should the FPV take a hit.

But in the end, it's your money and decision to make. If the FPV fits all your squares more than any other drone out there - then go for it. Just remember, you won't be able to legally fly without a spotter - per the FAA rules.

The biggest disadvantage compared to a proper FPV is that if you crash it, it's game over. And if you want to prgress you need to crash :)

That said, I might buy one myself, mostly for getting the fpv-goggles, and I like programming and I would like to try to program FPV-flights. I havn't seen that done, so it would be fun to try.
Just because the typical FPV pilot builds and flies drones that are cheap enough that crashing can teach you what not to do it does not mean you must crash in order to progress. That is some odd logic.

Mike

Just because the typical FPV pilot builds and flies drones that are cheap enough that crashing can teach you what not to do it does not mean you must crash in order to progress. That is some odd logic.

Mike
I don't agree. Tell me how you learn to fly gates without crashing. Low level flips. Powered loops. It's to much you stay away from with a drone you cant crash.

Proper FPV drone cost more than the DJI FPV, but is way more crash resistant. So your logic don't make sense either :)

Anyway, I bought one today, so I will keep you posted how it turns out. Hopefully I can get the my followme to work on it :). I'm looking forward to see if program flights are possible. Havnt read anything who tried to do that.

I don't agree. Tell me how you learn to fly gates without crashing. Low level flips. Powered loops. It's to much you stay away from with a drone you cant crash.

Proper FPV drone cost more than the DJI FPV, but is way more crash resistant. So your logic don't make sense either :)

Anyway, I bought one today, so I will keep you posted how it turns out. Hopefully I can get the my followme to work on it :). I'm looking forward to see if program flights are possible. Havnt read anything who tried to do that.
Just like learning to drive anything. You go slow enough so that you don’t crash until you progress. Yes, crashing teaches you. But it is not a requirement to learn. Does every stunt pilot crash a few times before he gets good at tricks? I would hope not.

Anyway, I too have been tempted to get an FPV but I know for sure I would crash it. I’ll stick with the Goggles RE and M1X until I am a good enough pilot to pick up an FPV.

Hope you have a blast with it!!

Mike

Mike
I don't buy the crash to progress, but if you fly an FPV and don't crash - you're not trying to be a real cowboy type. It's almost inevitable that you will crash. A buddy who is a cowboy has about 10 crashes to his resume and some in spots you'd think a crash was not going to happen - but he takes flying to the very limits and gets as close as he can for that footage that is rarely seen oreven attempted by a typical drone / pilot.

The DJI FPV is not a drone you "want" to crash, that is for sure. If someone builds an FPV with off the shelf parts, crashing is no real big deal; as parts and prices are reasonable.

Just like learning to drive anything. You go slow enough so that you don’t crash until you progress. Yes, crashing teaches you. But it is not a requirement to learn. Does every stunt pilot crash a few times before he gets good at tricks? I would hope not.

Anyway, I too have been tempted to get an FPV but I know for sure I would crash it. I’ll stick with the Goggles RE and M1X until I am a good enough pilot to pick up an FPV.

Hope you have a blast with it!!

Mike
Build your own FPV and then the "worry" part about crashing is far less. Knowing that YOU can fix / replace parts that are relatively cheap will allow you to take it to the next level much faster than taking a step at a time. The DJI FPV is a nice drone - no doubt - but not for those who want to do pretty extreme flying. Guarantee you, those drone racers don't buy and fly a DJI drone like the FPV - they build them.

Tell me how you learn to fly gates without crashing. Low level flips.
You don't need to be doing that, and many people don't care about those.

You can already do a lot of fun flying without going into intentionally risky maneuvers, especially with the unmatched viewing experience.
Sure if that's what you're after the DJI FPV isn't a great choice, but there are flying styles where it's the best thing there is around for.

You don't need to be doing that, and many people don't care about those.

You can already do a lot of fun flying without going into intentionally risky maneuvers, especially with the unmatched viewing experience.
Sure if that's what you're after the DJI FPV isn't the best choice, but there are flying styles where it's the best thing there is around for.
Maybe he does “need to”. Simply because he wants to. Maybe I don’t “need to” fly my drone in a storm over a several hundred foot deep lake but I do because I find it thrilling. I don’t think any of us should be telling anyone else what they “need to” do with their drone.

Mike

I don’t think any of us should be telling anyone else what they “need to” do with their drone.
Hence my post, since some others imply you have to do those things to justify the FPV not being a good choice.

FPV isn't just hard acro or risky stuff that involves lots of crashing, and OP never said that's what he wanted to do.

Reactions: Bebopperoo
FPV cinematic is where I'd like to explore, what's out there on youtube and airvuz is simply amazing.
When I say FPV, it's usually FPV style quads build by the pilots, but the DJI FPV seems to have the ability to help you take the leap safer from DJI 'safe' drones, to the atti style control of real FPV.

The N and S modes are pretty much like flying any consumer DJI drone, OA protection, RTH, let go the sticks you hover with GPS.
The fisheye camera and simple 2 axis gimbal are a notable difference, FPV style video recording . . . but not too bad (I still have a Spark and it's fine).
M mode, well it's hands on stick use like any other brand / home built FPV drone, ALTHOUGH there is a button you can push to instantly brake and hover, if you feel you're losing control.
So it would be a great way to get into it reasonably safely.

Going straight to true FPV, you'd do well to invest in the controller you want and a decent FPV simulator, as I've read it really does help you get used to the atti flying that you need to learn.

Reactions: Kilrah
...When I say FPV, it's usually FPV style quads build by the pilots...

And here in lies the big misconception ... that is a truth from the past.

Nowadays you don't need to have a big interest with messing around with small electronics (even though the interest will grow...), you don't need to solder & you don't need to download a lot of "hand-made" glitchy small programs to your computer in order to access flight controllers & ESC's in order to set them up ... & you doesn't need to be a Star when it comes to how a PID controller works or how to set it up.

It's equal easy to buy & start to use a "real" FPV quad as it is to buy the DJI FPV drone ... Going with a pre-built, pre-tuned fully functional DJI digital "Bind & Fly" like the one below ... only require you to push 3 buttons to pair the goggles, the radio & the quad.

BnF.jpg

Going straight to true FPV, you'd do well to invest in the controller you want and a decent FPV simulator...
Fully agree with the need to buy a good simulator for around 20 US$ ... it will let you know how to control the quad in a save environment ...& it's fun. But all talk about that you "need" to crash a lot to figure out how to fly & develop the skills is totally wrong. If you're a overconfident type of guy ... believing that you will be able to fly acro like what you see on YT just because you've bought a FPV quad ... then yes, you will crash. But if you have anything similar to common sense, you start up in the simulator, put in like 30h there before trying it out in reality ... then keep some height until you've been used to the controls before you go down low & close to thing's.

Furthermore ... even the DJI FPV drone in manual mode require & benefit from practice in the simulator, this as flying it in the automated/assisted modes won't give you anything extra for the switch into manual mode ...

I'm 54 & have been flying thing's since autumn 2019 ... before that I hadn't touched a controller, started with a photo drone more due to the photo/filming interest. But discovered that I actually was more interested in the flying than the picture taking. Bought a DJI controller V1 & a simulator ... & spent the colder month last year having fun with it all, practicing & checked out if I could learn & if I should go on with the investment or not.

Early this year I bought a 4" "real" FPV quad, batteries, a charger & the DJI FPV goggles V2. Took then the first real flight in late March ... without any real problems straight into full manual Acro mode. Have not yet "crashed" ... just 3 low speed low height grass tumbles, one of these times a dog coming out from nowhere actually took it down. Now in the end of the year, with 8-9 month flying I own several more quads & fly fast, close & low without any real big risks for the equipment & develop my skills every time I fly ... I don't have any special ability for this with FPV or drone flying in general, I'm average ... if I can do it, everyone can do it.

Reactions: slozukimc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus