DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for 6" screen to fly my Mini SE

cheddar-man

Reactions
Biggest problem, budget!
I've been looking at the iPhone XS Max which a good second hand one would be just about in my budget, but they don't often come on the market.
The XS would be my next choice, slightly smaller screen but OK.
I (stupidly) bought a Huawei P30 lite by mistake so that's back on the market. Androids seem to be a bit of a problem even tough on the DJI Fly compatibility list😩
Any suggestions, recommendations would be much appreciated.

I have an XR, 6sPlus and also have access to a Xs Max. They all work fine with my Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. At the end of 2020 I did a 10,000 foot mission (over water) with my 6sPlus with no issues. I just got an iPad Mini 6 for my birthday.

The one thing I miss on the later Apple devices is the BUTTON! If I put a screen shade on a device without a button the screen gets in the way of swiping.

Thanks for that. I used it when I bought my P3A.
I've only been looking at the list on the DJI Fly site. There are a hack of a lot more here and I know that many of these will not work with Fly app, they're not 64bit processors - the Nvidia Shield for a start. Just sold mine because it wouldn't work😩 It would take forever to checking the specs of all that lot!!
It's a shame they bunch them all together. Would be far more useful if they indicated which was for which App.

Thanks for that. I used it when I bought my P3A.
I've only been looking at the list on the DJI Fly site. There are a hack of a lot more here and I know that many of these will not work with Fly app, they're not 64bit processors - the Nvidia Shield for a start. Just sold mine because it wouldn't work😩 It would take forever to checking the specs of all that lot!!
It's a shame they bunch them all together. Would be far more useful if they indicated which was for which App.

The colored dots on the side in the first column indicate what app works with the devices.

Blue dot is the FLY app.

Green is Go 4 and Orange is Go 3.

I just got a iPad mini 6 this last year and find that it does an amazing job. I am upgrading from a iPhone X. This was a perfect upgrade for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheddar-man
Biggest problem, budget!
I've been looking at the iPhone XS Max which a good second hand one would be just about in my budget, but they don't often come on the market.
The XS would be my next choice, slightly smaller screen but OK.
I (stupidly) bought a Huawei P30 lite by mistake so that's back on the market. Androids seem to be a bit of a problem even tough on the DJI Fly compatibility list😩
Any suggestions, recommendations would be much appreciated.
If you're looking for an XS Max, I would suggest either expanding your search or changing that to an XR. My wife has an XS Max and I have an XR. The difference is that hers is about 1/8" longer, but a heck of a lot heavier. I have no idea why. The extra length isn't going to be significant and probably not helpful either.

Having said that, I have an iPad Mini 6 which works pretty well, but needs an adapter to mount it.

I haven't had any trouble with Android and the Fly app. Maybe earlier versions of Android have issues; just haven't seen them

saying 6 inch screen seems a little vague. A lot of phones meet that requirement but their aspect ratio is flattened compared to 16:9 video drones shoot in.

you probably need to pay attention to nits too, not the initial illumination but the sustained illumination

if you're avoiding Android that narrows it to IOS. And that makes it more expensive

@moldorf While nits can be important, sometimes it's a tradeoff between nits and weight. While my iPad mini 6 could definitely use more brightness, some of that can be mitigated with a screen shade or various designs. The Tripltek is the go-to tablet for brightness, but it's a boat anchor in terms of weight. An iPhone 13 Pro max is rated at 1000 nits. So size vs brightness is another tradeoff. Also something like an iPhone with a Mini SE controller would not need an mounting adapter (if it's the same as the original Mini 1 and similiar to the M2P controller.

@moldorf While nits can be important, sometimes it's a tradeoff between nits and weight. While my iPad mini 6 could definitely use more brightness, some of that can be mitigated with a screen shade or various designs. The Tripltek is the go-to tablet for brightness, but it's a boat anchor in terms of weight. An iPhone 13 Pro max is rated at 1000 nits. So size vs brightness is another tradeoff. Also something like an iPhone with a Mini SE controller would not need an mounting adapter (if it's the same as the original Mini 1 and similiar to the M2P controller.

yeah, I understand all that

I have a Tripltek and it is relatively heavy, as you said, but a simple lanyard solves the weight issue. So it's hardly a boat anchor

with the weight issue 'solved' or at least mitigated, then the other factors come into play. The 1200 nits may be on top of the list. But there are other items on the list too. The 12,200mAh battery for starters. 256GB of on board storage. The rugged build. It's also 200 dollars cheaper than the iPhone you mentioned

but maybe the biggest positive factor is simply screen size. The Triplltek's screen is about 2.2-2.3 times bigger than that iPhone or the DJI RC Pro. And a couple of times larger than most other phones. Combine that with the nits, and then the weight doesn't seem to be as much of a factor

Regarding procrastination… Don’t blow deadlines. No more.

yeah, I understand all that

I have a Tripltek and it is relatively heavy, as you said, but a simple lanyard solves the weight issue. So it's hardly a boat anchor

with the weight issue 'solved' or at least mitigated, then the other factors come into play. The 1200 nits may be on top of the list. But there are other items on the list too. The 12,200mAh battery for starters. 256GB of on board storage. The rugged build. It's also 200 dollars cheaper than the iPhone you mentioned

but maybe the biggest positive factor is simply screen size. The Triplltek's screen is about 2.2-2.3 times bigger than that iPhone or the DJI RC Pro. And a couple of times larger than most other phones. Combine that with the nits, and then the weight doesn't seem to be as much of a factor

Adding to @moldorf point the Iphone display is 1000 nits peak brightness not SUSTAINED as the Tripltek . So the iphone will dim after a couple of minutes to 500 nits or less under sunny conditions..

Adding to @moldorf point the Iphone display is 1000 nits peak brightness not SUSTAINED as the Tripltek . So the iphone will dim after a couple of minutes to 500 nits or less under sunny conditions..
I'm due for a new iPhone this year so I cannot speak to the 13's or 14's. I don't have that issue with my iPad Mini 6. In really sunny conditions a screen shade is helpful. Also, if brightness is a real issue and you don't mind breaking the VLOS rule, there are always VR goggles, one brand not requiring a special app and split view viewing.

I appreciate @moldorf comments about the lanyard. I use a lanyard often, particularly with my mini6, but it's still heavy even though the iPad is relatively light weight. I have no idea why DJI made the RCN1 so heavy? Even the DJI RC is lighter in weight, has more features, including a built in screen. Much as I appreciate what the Tripltek brings to the table, for me, when I had to choose I went for the iPad. Maybe I'm just a wuss?

I'm due for a new iPhone this year so I cannot speak to the 13's or 14's. I don't have that issue with my iPad Mini 6. In really sunny conditions a screen shade is helpful. Also, if brightness is a real issue and you don't mind breaking the VLOS rule, there are always VR goggles, one brand not requiring a special app and split view viewing.

I appreciate @moldorf comments about the lanyard. I use a lanyard often, particularly with my mini6, but it's still heavy even though the iPad is relatively light weight. I have no idea why DJI made the RCN1 so heavy? Even the DJI RC is lighter in weight, has more features, including a built in screen. Much as I appreciate what the Tripltek brings to the table, for me, when I had to choose I went for the iPad. Maybe I'm just a wuss?
yes, the Tripltek is definitely heavier. it appears to be around 290 grams heavier which is 10 ounces. Of course, that is only only 6/10's of a pound heavier, assuming the same RC and mounting bracket for both

I guess that makes a difference you can notice. But there are a lot of technical differences as well: tripltek has a 12,200mAh battery vs Ipad 5124mAh. 1200 sustained nits vs 500 nits of ipad. those are two very important advantages for the Tripltek

the Tripltek has a water-proof, shock resistant body which is the reason for some of the weight other than battery. I don't think that's true for the ipad. The Tripltek display is fully laminated with an anti-reflective UV coating. The Tripltek has a GPS+ and a digital compass

now, if you get a 2021 ipad mini 6, it's $200-300 cheaper than the Tripltek. The new ipad models, not so much. I'm not trying to talk you out of the ipad; just saying that weight isn't the only consideration. Obviously, the DJI RC Pro is by far the lightest option. But it's $400 more, 1000 nits vs 1200 nits, and the Tripltek screen is 2.2 times larger

Last edited:
yes, the Tripltek is definitely heavier. it appears to be around 290 grams heavier which is 10 ounces. Of course, that is only only 6/10's of a pound heavier, assuming the same RC and mounting bracket for both

I guess that makes a difference you can notice. But there are a lot of technical differences as well: tripltek has a 12,200mHa battery vs Ipad 5124mHa. 1200 sustained nits vs 500 nits of ipad. those are two very important advantages for the Tripltek

the Tripltek has a water-proof, shock resistant body which is the reason for some of the weight other than battery. I don't think that's true for the ipad. The Tripltek display is fully laminated with an anti-reflective UV coating. The Tripltek has a GPS+ and a digital compass

now, if you get a 2021 ipad mini 6, it's $200-300 cheaper than the Tripltek. The new ipad models, not so much. I'm not trying to talk you out of the ipad; just saying that weight isn't the only consideration. Obviously, the DJI RC Pro is by far the lightest option. But it's $400 more, 1000 nits vs 1200 nits, and the Tripltek screen is 2.2 times larger
Everyone has their priorities and preferences. The iPad Mini 6 isn't ideal for everything, but for me it checks a lot of boxes other than droning. While, as you say the Tripltek is 6/10ths pound or 9.6 ounces heavier, as guitar/bass player, I'd love to have that extra 9 ounces shaved off of a 10 pound guitar with a 3.5" strap :0.

I think the main advantage of the DJI RC controller is how fast you can get the drone up in the air. It can shave a few minutes to several minutes. It also has some extra programmable buttons that the RCN1 doesn't have (and yet absent of the 5D button that the M2 controller and the RC Pro has 🤬 ). I also wish the DJI RC had a live USB out that could be used in lieu of the built in screen. I've yet to try my Mini 3 pro with the RCN1, but I'll do that in time. The one thing I do like about the RCN1 is that there is a cheap tablet mount that snaps on in seconds. Considering how lightweight and compact (folded) all the previous DJI Mavic controllers were I am still perplexed why they now give us this brick as the "standard" controller?

Everyone has their priorities and preferences. The iPad Mini 6 isn't ideal for everything, but for me it checks a lot of boxes other than droning. While, as you say the Tripltek is 6/10ths pound or 9.6 ounces heavier, as guitar/bass player, I'd love to have that extra 9 ounces shaved off of a 10 pound guitar with a 3.5" strap :0.

I think the main advantage of the DJI RC controller is how fast you can get the drone up in the air. It can shave a few minutes to several minutes. It also has some extra programmable buttons that the RCN1 doesn't have (and yet absent of the 5D button that the M2 controller and the RC Pro has 🤬 ). I also wish the DJI RC had a live USB out that could be used in lieu of the built in screen. I've yet to try my Mini 3 pro with the RCN1, but I'll do that in time. The one thing I do like about the RCN1 is that there is a cheap tablet mount that snaps on in seconds. Considering how lightweight and compact (folded) all the previous DJI Mavic controllers were I am still perplexed why they now give us this brick as the "standard" controller?
about deployment time:

for me, the notion that there are minutes of extra deployment time with the Tripltek, or any other tablet/phone screen simply isn't true. I can understand why some might look at it that way, but I don't keep m drone(s) in the car (especially the 2500 dollar mavic 3 FMC and a 1200 dollar RC Pro) in case I might just happen to drive by a great droning opportunity. Keeping $4000 dollars of high tech equipment in a vehicle seems high risk and kind of dumb to me

when I fly, it's almost always planned. And when it's planned, I mount the tablet to the RC-N1 before leaving the house. It's a fully assembled RC, ready to fly, just like the RC-Pro. So my deployment time is maybe a few seconds more than an RC with built-in screen. I park, possibly pull out my landing pad, pull out the drone and get it ready, and then pull out the Tripltek RC and turn it on. Everything would be the same with an RC-Pro, except for the one extra step of turning on the tablet. Maybe 20 extra seconds of boot-up time, at most

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143