DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a reason

Docfly

Reactions
I've been flying a Mavic Pro for 3 years, fixed wing RC airplanes for 2 years, and a Mavic Mini for 1 year.
Fixed wing: I watch the airplane as it flies and it's beautiful.
Mavics: I enjoy the FPV (first person view) and photograph abandoned structures. Tons of fun.
Now, I am seeking the next step. I am Part 107 certified, but am not looking to make money. I wonder how can a drone help during a disaster such as the hurricane that devastated Puerto Rico. Anyone have previous experience?

Perhaps you should start by contacting local authorities. I'm not sure of any of the structures in PR. There must be some sort of emergency management department including and excluding FEMA. Let them know of your capabilities, your equipment, experience FAA status and ask if there is anything that your area of expertise might help them with. You might show them samples of what you have already produced as it might help them come up with ideas they don't already have in mind.

In order to be a part of an Emergency Response you need to be imbedded with an agency and this needs to happen BEFORE the disaster. You need to understand Emergency Services and the ins-outs of how Command works and understand the "language". Otherwise you are likely consuming resources to help you that could be utilized to help those in need.

Make contact with your local Emergency Services Dept and find out what they need/want in terms of UAS functions.

Also check out our group called DSAR

The cover image was taken at our Western NC DSAR training event. At one time, IIRC, we had 26 UAS flying at the same time.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I've been flying a Mavic Pro for 3 years, fixed wing RC airplanes for 2 years, and a Mavic Mini for 1 year.
Fixed wing: I watch the airplane as it flies and it's beautiful.
Mavics: I enjoy the FPV (first person view) and photograph abandoned structures. Tons of fun.
Now, I am seeking the next step. I am Part 107 certified, but am not looking to make money. I wonder how can a drone help during a disaster such as the hurricane that devastated Puerto Rico. Anyone have previous experience?
You would think in the middle of total panic you can choose whatever means to help . save , rescue or find but that is not the case because Air Space becomes the single most important area of Rescue, Helicopters, planes this is why this is why you need to sign up and understand search and rescue with Command as mentioned above by Big AL .

The only way that we help is by providing Search and Rescue some extra tools that may make your drone better suited
for navigating that kind of weather and hostile environment to the drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / and Land on Water.

Drones are so capable and relatively inexpensive that at least here in the USA, most agencies of any size will already have this equipment and will have trained some of their employees as operators.

What BigAl07 said, I have tried to volunteer my services and even though I had "connections", hundreds of flight hours, 107 certified etc they treated my like Joe Schmoe layman if I was not part of (whatever) organization I was wanting to help. (In my case it was the city police UAS department).

Drones are so capable and relatively inexpensive that at least here in the USA, most agencies of any size will already have this equipment and will have trained some of their employees as operators.
This is what I have found also... many departments are forming a UAS branch for this exact purpose... so the need for civilian help is much reduced.

This being said there have been some private searches (when the local authorities came up blank) that I had an opportunity to help with. There is always someone in need of SAR services, but the government agencies seem less likely with each passing year as they train up their own to do the job.

OK so now that we have the Logistics out of the way posted above how can the Drone the Mavic 2 actually Help.

The Mavic 2 has the Ability to Lift a Rescue Life Jacket to the Victim.
You can put Spot Lights on the top of the Drone for searching at Night
You can use the Mavic 2 to Carry out Water and Food Packets
You Can drop off Two way communication devices.
Your Drone itself can be used as a Signal point

We suggest gearing up your drone with a release bracket , and a Wet Suit and the
Rescue Jacket for the drone to land on the water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the Storm.

Thank you all for your great responses. I am familiar with ground-based emergency responses as I am a physician and have done relief work in disasters. Yes, it is about logistics first and your responses point me in the right direction(s) if I wish to pursue it. It was good to see examples of what can be done. That said, as a full-scale pilot, I know the dangers of well-meaning civilians getting in the way. I really appreciate all your specifics.

Perhaps you should start by contacting local authorities. I'm not sure of any of the structures in PR. There must be some sort of emergency management department including and excluding FEMA. Let them know of your capabilities, your equipment, experience FAA status and ask if there is anything that your area of expertise might help them with. You might show them samples of what you have already produced as it might help them come up with ideas they don't already have in mind.
Thank you. Please see my response to all.

In order to be a part of an Emergency Response you need to be imbedded with an agency and this needs to happen BEFORE the disaster. You need to understand Emergency Services and the ins-outs of how Command works and understand the "language". Otherwise you are likely consuming resources to help you that could be utilized to help those in need.

Make contact with your local Emergency Services Dept and find out what they need/want in terms of UAS functions.

Also check out our group called DSAR

The cover image was taken at our Western NC DSAR training event. At one time, IIRC, we had 26 UAS flying at the same time.

You would think in the middle of total panic you can choose whatever means to help . save , rescue or find but that is not the case because Air Space becomes the single most important area of Rescue, Helicopters, planes this is why this is why you need to sign up and understand search and rescue with Command as mentioned above by Big AL .

The only way that we help is by providing Search and Rescue some extra tools that may make your drone better suited
for navigating that kind of weather and hostile environment to the drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / and Land on Water.

This is what I have found also... many departments are forming a UAS branch for this exact purpose... so the need for civilian help is much reduced.

This being said there have been some private searches (when the local authorities came up blank) that I had an opportunity to help with. There is always someone in need of SAR services, but the government agencies seem less likely with each passing year as they train up their own to do the job.

see something say something seems to be the only way the casual drone flyer can be of any help. Drones have a horrible reputation, rightly or wrongly, for interfering.

I have Fire and River Rescue clients that are using the Drones to save lives, and the media has not interest in it.
I think the media has had a field day with drones , on top of that you have the FAA trying to make examples .

Were just in a phase , drone media is wearing thin as more people become educated , but nothing is going to stop a drunk from driving down the wrong lane as is Two drunks lighting up there drones.

Shamefully only 1 kind of Media event will be broadcasted .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly our DJI in the Rain / Snow

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore