DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a small and cheap tablet, any suggestions?

SlavicSoul

Reactions
I would like to get a tablet that I could mount to a controller arms without any additional parts. So far I have tried Amazon Fire HD 8, form 2015/6 but it didn't work. I don't mind buying used/refurbished because I won't really use it for anything other than flying Mavic Air.

I just want something cheap that will be good enough to run DJI GO 4.

So you dont want something dependable like an Ipad or Iphone?
your only want is CHEAP and will run some version of the DJI Go app........
Search "wonder tablet" on this forum. I think if you run an older DJI Go app on it it will work most of the time.

So you dont want something dependable like an Ipad or Iphone?
your only want is CHEAP and will run some version of the DJI Go app........
Search "wonder tablet" on this forum. I think if you run an older DJI Go app on it it will work most of the time.

Well, I really don't want to blow $500-$1000 on latest and greatest tablet/phone since I already have Galaxy S8+, however I would like to have a small tablet specifically for drone. Ideally I would like to spend $150 or less while still being able to take advantage of all software/firmware updates.

Running outdated app and firmware is really not an option for me.

Last edited:
Well, I really don't blow $500-$1000 on latest and greatest tablet/phone since I already have Galaxy S8+, however I would like to have a small table specifically for drone. Ideally I would like to spend $150 or less while still being able to take advantage of all software/firmware updates.

Running outdated app and firmware is really not an option for me.

From what I have read, the cheaper tablets wont run the latest versions of the software for whatever reasons, so to make them work most of the time, you have to use older versions of the DJI Go app.

Unfortunately, problems like these are exactly what the difference is between "cheap" and "quality" tablets.
Who would buy Ipads, and High end android tablets if you could do everything with a $50 kids tablet?

Would the nvidia shield k1 fit his needs? It seems to fit his parameters perfectly but I have no idea whether it runs go4 or not. I'm thinking about getting one myself to connect my fatsharks to the video feed.

You can just jump on Craigslist and find a used iPad Mini 2 around $100. Or a used iPad Mini 4 for around $200-250. Both of those will work in the stock mount. If you want to buy a tablet mount, buying an iPad 5th gen should be around $250 (they were brand new at Walmart for $250, until they sold out, for a 32GB).
All of these will work very well and are not that expensive.

Reactions: SlavicSoul
@SlavicSoul, you can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.

Want great performance too? Then pick one of the devices with better specs. What to save a few bucks? Check eBay for refurbished or used tablets.

Reactions: SlavicSoul
Hey, At least there is a list!
Thanks for your time in putting the list together Msinger!

I've been using an Acer Iconia One 7" B1-780 tablet successfully for a while now. Can't remember which Go 4 version I'm using at the moment (currently at work) but it's not the latest (it's the one that added panoramic shots, so not that old). I paid £34 for it on eBay [emoji106], it fits the controller and there is negligible video lag.

The Chinese Meiigoo S8 with 6.1" screen is an excellent device for GO4, just big enough for me. Paid 134$ for it including airmail. (Banggood). It even looks like a Samsung S8. Screen is very bright outside and it is fast with caching, also has Glonass/GPS.
I also have a Ipad Min2 but I prefer the screen of this cheap Chinese device much better, at least for the mavic. Pairs very nicely with the RC.

He already has an s8+ (6.2 inch screen)

I would like to get a tablet that I could mount to a controller arms without any additional parts. So far I have tried Amazon Fire HD 8, form 2015/6 but it didn't work. I don't mind buying used/refurbished because I won't really use it for anything other than flying Mavic Air.

I just want something cheap that will be good enough to run DJI GO 4.

I am new here . I do not have a smart phone so I had to buy a tablet . I bought the 2017 version of the Samsung Tab A 8'' in size . At first I thought it wouldn't fit into the controller but then saw a video on this site where I was showed that , with a little snug push it actually fits very snug and has a huge screen compared to any smartphone I have ever seen. It has 32 gigs om memory and 2 of RAM . It will fit . I thought I had bought the wrong one until I saw that video . It is very slippery and sleek and it is my first Android device . No need to buy anything else here . It also does not need any plan and cost me $179.00 at Best Buy on sale . Very happy with it .

I use a Kindle Fire HD 10 and am happy with it. Mine is rooted, and I've disabled nearly all of the Amazon bloat. It's very responsive, runs DJI Go 4, has a big screen that is mostly OK outdoors, costs $150 retail and less when on sale.

He already has an s8+ (6.2 inch screen)
Yep but he's looking for a dedicated device for his Mavic. He didn't say that he needed a bigger screen perse.

Do any of these tablets have hdmi out? I am looking at the Nuetab S8 on Amazon to provide hdmi out to use with my Fatshark goggles.

I can return it to Amazon if it fails to perform so I may try it but the low ram is holding me back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GPCVQ9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2X9BDGO8IG14R&psc=1
The Tab A does not have hdmi out but is expandable with an micro sd and the connection to my controller is a usb-c type . Another first for me .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada