DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a stable and (not so) long range signal - CE version -

giovy889

Reactions
Hi everyone,

i'm new and I bought the Mavic Mini last week.

First of all i have to say that is amazing! A thing so small and light that can handle wind and distance...maybe because this is my first "real" drone, before that i piloted an Eachine mini drone but it was without gps and without camera so the flight experience was completly different.

So I wrote here because after a few flights I notice that sometimes happens problems with comunication and when "signal lost" appears on my iPhone i feel my heart puming so fast, hoping that all thing go well (remembering me that is not a cheap drone!).

So after some researches on web (and I also found this amazing forum) I understand the problems and the limits of the CE product vs FCC.

Because i have a CE drone and I'm not interested to buy a new FCC one, I have arrived at two conclusions to boost the signal of a ce version, in addition to ce-->fcc switch using fakegps (that doesn't boost the signal as much as the FCC version):

- using a FCC radio with my CE mavic mini drone; if I buy an FCC radio than I can use it with my CE drone?

- mod my CE radio, installing an external antenna like this in photo (not the alientech that costs as much as the drone but something like this, 16 DBi 2,4/5,8Ghz on sale around 50$)

What do you suggest?

My intent is not to go over 10km of range but have a stable signal in a range of 1,5KM - 2KM disance and 100Mt high

16DBI-2-4-5-8GHz-Circular-spolaryzowana-antena-WiFi-wzmacniacz-zasi-gu-sygna-u-dla-DJI.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Before going to heavy mods, you can try this yagi antenna that does not need mod. Check those threads

welcome to the forum ,dont want to rain on your parade ,but at the distances you are speaking of you would not be able to see the MM, so there is really no point doing it at the moment
thats my opinion and not a criticism of you personally

welcome to the forum ,dont want to rain on your parade ,but at the distances you are speaking of you would not be able to see the MM, so there is really no point doing it at the moment
thats my opinion and not a criticism of you personally

You're right, I'm not interested going kilometers far away but I mean for me the most important thing is a stable connection to have a safe flight so I think the more powerfull is the signal the more stable is the connection, isn't it?

Hi,
Before going to heavy mods, you can try this yagi antenna that does not need mod. Check those threads

Thank you so much, I've found this Yagi Booster for mavic on Ebay

Hello and hopefully welcome here... not to interrupt your honeymoon with your Mavic Mini but you should be immediately made aware of the limited wind handling capability of the Mini and fragility of the propellers, especially in Spring windy days.

This doesn't mean it can't handle winds... in fact I do genuinely think it handles them pretty well for how light it is, but you should always check the winds at altitude before you fly... it is that important for a Mini.

About the range: get yourself some cheap parabolic reflectors and begin getting acquainted using MANUAL channel selection, as MM cannot switch channels mid-flight. So you must be aware of the CH choice: 2.4 GHz is often too busy and 5.8 GHz CHs can usually bring you comfortably to 750m in the open with reflectors.

Hello and hopefully welcome here... not to interrupt your honeymoon with your Mavic Mini but you should be immediately made aware of the limited wind handling capability of the Mini and fragility of the propellers, especially in Spring windy days.

This doesn't mean it can't handle winds... in fact I do genuinely think it handles them pretty well for how light it is, but you should always check the winds at altitude before you fly... it is that important for a Mini.

About the range: get yourself some cheap parabolic reflectors and begin getting acquainted using MANUAL channel selection, as MM cannot switch channels mid-flight. So you must be aware of the CH choice: 2.4 GHz is often too busy and 5.8 GHz CHs can usually bring you comfortably to 750m in the open with reflectors.

thank you for welcoming me!
About wind I saw a lot of video and read many articles and I’m aware of that problem/limit. And also I noticed that with a few of wind the wind alarm start and i’m not enjoying the flight with that alarm on. For that reason I have download on my iPhone the UAV forecast App and I fly only when wind and gusts at 100mt (328ft), for now the max high I reached, is less than 8m/s (28,8 km/h). Even if I’m a newbie I fly carefully. About the range for now I lose signal above 300mt, so I bought the Yagi booster 5,8ghz as suggested. Hope to a better signal to be able to fly safely.

Yagi Uda repeaters are indeed fascinating :) They seem a micro TV antenna with all those bars. Let us know how it works.

Did you get the 5.8 or 2.4 GHz length ?

Reactions: fificap
Yagi Uda repeaters are indeed fascinating :) They seem a micro TV antenna with all those bars. Let us know how it works.

Did you get the 5.8 or 2.4 GHz length ?

Of course I will do, I hope to try it this weekend or in the beginning of next week and write here some impressions. By the way I chose the 5.8Ghz one :)

Please tell me it goes to 1.2 Km... it would be my ultimate goal.:) I can already make to 800 m but not any further on the 5.8 GHz.

I encourage every CE Mavic Mini pilot to give a try to FCC Hack. No hardware modification needed, only free FakeGPS mobile app. It will multiply by four your Mavic Mini radio power, from 25mw to 100mw, greatly increasing video link stability and range.

MM CE into FCC hack

Using this hack I got 1000 meters range with excellent video flying over urban areas at 5.8Ghz band. No using hack at same areas I can't barely get 500 meters.

Of course, when flying at countryside FCC Hack is needless, due absence of WIFI interference. That enables you to use 2.4Ghz band and getting up to 3 Km range.

Best regards

R.

Last edited:
Yesterday i flew 5.5km's with the CE version, only change is the 4hawks SR antenna

Attachments

• photo_2020-04-08_10-55-52.jpg
    photo_2020-04-08_10-55-52.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: raulmavic
Yesterday i flew 5.5km's with the CE version, only change is the 4hawks SR antenna
Wow that’s amazing! ?
I just bought the Yagi Booster, it still has to be delivered to me but I hope at least in 1/10 of your result (500mt of clean and solid signal)! However if it doesn't work I will also make an hard mod like yours! Just curiosity, how much did you pay for the whole kit? List price is $ 119 if I'm not mistaken, right? And is it difficult to disassemble the whole remote control?

I encourage every CE Mavic Mini pilot to give a try to FCC Hack. No hardware modification needed, only free FakeGPS mobile app. It will multiply by four your Mavic Mini radio power, from 25mw to 100mw, greatly increasing video link stability and range.

MM CE into FCC hack

Using this hack I got 1000 meters range with excellent video flying over urban areas at 5.8Ghz band. No using hack at same areas I can't barely get 500 meters.

Of course, when flying at countryside FCC Hack is needless, due absence of WIFI interference. That enables you to use 2.4Ghz band and getting up to 3 Km range.

Best regards

R.
I tried it and at least the 5.8Ghz signal is a bit more solid but it is not a radical change because at 300m the signal is still unstable. It certainly depends on my area which is full of wifi and possible interference, I have not yet had the opportunity to try it in an open field.

100mW of Tx power not possible I am afraid... (it would be even more than 2.4 GHz Tx power).

Realistically tests suggest from 0,6 to 1 Km increase, i.e. about 400 m additional range, so far less than regular 2.4 GHz channels CE mode and about the same as a unit fitted with parabolic reflectors.

Last edited:
Yeah I paid about that, it's not so hard just follow the video, I also put some hot glue in the speaker in the remote, now it's nice and quiet :)

I think one could use a resistor without gooeing the RC.

I found right now this video about the benefits using Yagi booster on a Mavic Mini CE...I will be interesting see the results combining this with the FCC trick. Hope 1 KM of clean and stable signal...otherwise I’ll do some hard mod :)

Reactions: m80116
Today the Yagi booster arrived, tomorrow the first test :)

Attachments

• 99366458-AA11-4CAB-9073-69E3B729FC05.jpeg
    99366458-AA11-4CAB-9073-69E3B729FC05.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 89305CDA-FB7E-4D7E-AEFB-8EDD49F51434.jpeg
    89305CDA-FB7E-4D7E-AEFB-8EDD49F51434.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • 8A2CBB2F-8AA5-4767-AFAA-75EBCB80E558.jpeg
    8A2CBB2F-8AA5-4767-AFAA-75EBCB80E558.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: m80116 and fificap
Today the Yagi booster arrived, tomorrow the first test :)
Hi giovy889, Interested in seeing your yagi results. When doing your tests can you try one where you are at a set height and continue until you get video breakup but still have control then back up a bit and put on the yagis and then continue going away in the same direction until signal breakup. If you do a screen recording you can post it here.
Inquiring minds want to know...
Cheers
- Bill

Today I have done a test, not scientific one because it was a little windy and I wanted to be careful because of what I read here so just two quick flights. So with the Yagi booster and the FCC mod I reached 500mt without ever losing signal and I'm very happy for it. It wasn't a max range test because I chose not to go ahead but the signal was strong and i didn't lose it never and for me this was great, be able to count a strong and solid signal around 500mt. As soon as possible I'll try the Yagi (5.8Ghz) without FCC mod to see the difference.

I also had a quick flight in 2.4Ghz and after 350 mt the signal was unstable and at around 450mt the signal was lost. So for now I'm happy, I have to try the max range of 5,8Ghz with Yagi and without but the first impression, flying in similar condition, is positive and I see differences using this booster. Not a big one, like an hard mod, but for now it can be something. I also notice that using the Yagi the signal is a little bit less directional, but maybe is the 5,8Ghz compared to 2,4Ghz.

Last edited:
Reactions: m80116 and fificap
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian