DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for another control device

SHRED

Reactions
I have a Galaxy S10 and an iPad Air.
The phone is too small and the iPad too cumbersome for me.

I'm thinking an iPad Mini 4?
Any suggestions?

I'm open to ideas but can't spend for a Crystal Sky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill combs
Huawei M5 8.5" works well. The processor is new enough so it doesn't seem to overheat like a lot of the older tablets - iPad mini 4 included. Some with the Mini 4 are fine but others have problems so I took it off the list when I was looking.

Reactions: SHRED
Huawei M5 8.5" works well. The processor is new enough so it doesn't seem to overheat like a lot of the older tablets - iPad mini 4 included. Some with the Mini 4 are fine but others have problems so I took it off the list when I was looking.
Isn't it important to have GPS?
I didn't see that in the specs.

FYI - the Huawei M5 8.5" is just a little too big to fit in the controller's arms so you would need a bracket. Not sure if that is what you described as cumbersome so keep that in mind.

Isn't it important to have GPS?
I didn't see that in the specs.

It does have GPS. It really isn't important for the controller setup to have GPS. It isn't used for flying - the quads GPS is used for that. I believe GPS in the controller might be used if you have the controller being used in motion as a moving home point.

I have used the tablet for a Nav unit in my Jeep and the GPS worked well. Here is a pic of the setup. I mostly use my Smart Controller now but I really love the view the M5 gives.

IMG_20190113_140834.jpg

FYI - the Huawei M5 8.5" is just a little too big to fit in the controller's arms so you would need a bracket. Not sure if that is what you described as cumbersome so keep that in mind.
I have a Polar Pro mount for my Air.
Looking at your pics it looks bigger than I thought.
Does the screen get brighter than an iPad?

Reactions: SHRED
I have a Polar Pro mount for my Air.
Looking at your pics it looks bigger than I thought.
Does the screen get brighter than an iPad?

The M5 screen is brighter than my iPad but my iPad is really old so I can't really make a comparison. My Smart Controller is brighter than the M5.

There was a thread a few days ago about the iPad Mini 4 being on sale soon. Here is the link: One Day Sale on iPad Mini 4 for $160 9/29/19 There was also some discussion about it being a bit outdated now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost