DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for best controller to tablet cables. I have bought and tossed dozens that fail or don't work at all.

Shawn Paul

Reactions
All Hail Drone Pilots! And good morning. As mentioned I burn through cables like Chicklets! I have multiple Drones and Tablets so I'm trying to find one manufacturer who delivers on durability and makes C type, Flash for Apple type and the ubiquitous USB Micro type. I have bought two types of magnetic cable assemblies but they aren't as practical without the right angle point of attachment. Fly safe and have a good weekend everyone!

Reactions: old man mavic
I use magnetic cables that have right-angle connectors, no idea of the brand though.
I have them on all my devices & no problems so far.

Reactions: Shawn Paul
I use magnetic cables that have right-angle connectors, no idea of the brand though.
I have them on all my devices & no problems so far.
The magnetic ones I bought were USB A to magnetic head. (one side plugs into computer or transformer) You found some that were magnetic on both ends of the cable? If you could share the link to your purchase that'd be super great! Thanks for your Feedback!

i only use Thors Drone World cables and have never had any issues
Thanks for your tip! It looks like I'll be ordering other stuff from them as well. Another problem I wrestle with ALL the time is Sun Glare.. What's the best glare protection you've been able to find for your tablets/ phones? I've bought three diff. types and don't really like any of them....It seems we almost need an Old School Photo Blanket to see the screen sometimes! Is it a combination of screen protector on the tablet/ phone AND Vertical Sheilding? PYtech and others don't seem to make the cut...

Magnetic cables. Can you elaborate. I have never heard of such animal. I guess I should get out of the house more often
One of the youtube drone guys profiled the magnetic ones. The attachment that goes into your device is connected to the cable by a pretty strong magnet. The cable is USB A on one end and whatever you want on the other because the flash or micro or type C part is just the receiver of the magnetic cable and stays in your device. No plugging and unplugging all the time since all the devices (in a perfect world) have the tip installed in their ports and fits the usb magnetic cable. So the box should say " USB-A to Whatever (because the receiver is already in the device and not meant to be removed.) Gods did that make any sense?

Thanks for your tip! It looks like I'll be ordering other stuff from them as well. Another problem I wrestle with ALL the time is Sun Glare.. What's the best glare protection you've been able to find for your tablets/ phones? I've bought three diff. types and don't really like any of them....It seems we almost need an Old School Photo Blanket to see the screen sometimes! Is it a combination of screen protector on the tablet/ phone AND Vertical Sheilding? PYtech and others don't seem to make the cut...

We have the Thor cables in stock Lifthor USB ConnecThor Video Feed Cable
We’re one of a handful of their authorized dealers in the US.

Reactions: old man mavic
We have the Thor cables in stock Lifthor USB ConnecThor Video Feed Cable
We’re one of a handful of their authorized dealers in the US.
Thank you for the link! The cables I'm looking for however would have a Micro USB on one end for the controller and a flash, C, or Micro on the other for your Tablet or Phone, not a USB-A. Ideally at a right angle. I love the Old School phone cord style cable though! Thor cables are looking better and better! Gotta love this Community! A Safe flight makes for a Happy Drone!

Thank you for the link! The cables I'm looking for however would have a Micro USB on one end for the controller and a flash, C, or Micro on the other for your Tablet or Phone, not a USB-A. Ideally at a right angle. I love the Old School phone cord style cable though! Thor cables are looking better and better! Gotta love this Community! A Safe flight makes for a Happy Drone!

Amazon has plenty of cables, all you gotta do is enter in the search what your looking for, I use these: https://www.amazon.com/RCGEEK-Compatible-Controller-Braised-Platinum/dp/B0747DYMM6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=OC6WSEMBR11U&dchild=1&keywords=dji+lightning+to+micro+usb&qid=1598726669&sprefix=DJI+Lightning+to+usb+micro+,aps,243&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFOV1JZNVNGM0ZRVDUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4MDMzNjgxTEEyMzhKV1VYSE5EJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNDQxNTk5QlVGVThNV09EOVImd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Not sure what a "Flash" is but I assume you mean lightning for Apple? Cable creation has a bunch of cables for whatever as well: CableCreation: USB-C Cable

Why the heck are my links so long :p

Last edited:
If you are looking to use the micro-USB port on the controller, be sure the cable is wired for OTG on that end. If you are using the full A port on the controller (mini doesn't have it), then any data cable will work.
You can also use a micro to female A OTG adapter and standard cable. That's what I'm currently doing with the mini.

Reactions: Shawn Paul
Thanks/
If you are looking to use the micro-USB port on the controller, be sure the cable is wired for OTG on that end. If you are using the full A port on the controller (mini doesn't have it), then any data cable will work.
You can also use a micro to female A OTG adapter and standard cable. That's what I'm currently doing with the mini.
Ya I have dozens of adapters. I try to buy them for any possibilities. Even ones I don't have a use for right now. All the cables I get are supposed to carry voltage and data. 4 conductors minimum. I think that's what OTG means? I've never used the USB-a on my Mavic Air. I had read somewhere that it wasn't for controller hook up. I've wondered and just haven't played with my Air as much as i'd like to. Usually flying my Minis (have 2 of them). I keep getting my Air into tough situations! You can check out the latest on the you tubes. The Miracle on Magic Mountain I posted a video of a Forum member rescuing it from a bridge! Love that guy! Porterman. Check it out and you will learn what " too close " means lol! Glad there's someone out there likes the Mini as much as I do! Despite all the quirks I continue to have with them!

@Juggler i can agree to a point there, but sometimes if you want the best gear for your hobby, then the cost cant be the only factor to consider ,i myself would rather pay a bit more for something that works well when i order stuff from them it has always come in a very short time ,well packaged and the shipping has been around the £8-00 mark but i have made over 550 flights with my two drones and have never had a disconnect because of the cable

@Juggler i can agree to a point there, but sometimes if you want the best gear for your hobby, then the cost cant be the only factor to consider ,i myself would rather pay a bit more for something that works well when i order stuff from them it has always come in a very short time ,well packaged and the shipping has been around the £8-00 mark but i have made over 550 flights with my two drones and have never had a disconnect because of the cable
Sold and sold! I'm all about redundancy. Long live Thor I'm getting 3 of each!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair