DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for constructive feedback on a short winter flight.

There's a lot of micro stuttering in the video. Would filming at a different fps help that, or just slowing down the drone speed?

I like the video, I especially enjoyed the car scene at the end.
I did find that some of the clips were kinda choppy, i’m not sure if that was on my end or on YouTube or what?

But either way, keep up the good work.

I do see a little shuttering, I wonder if that is from speeding up the clips in Resolve. I tend to fly slow and then adjust the video speed in post to keep a quicker pace to try and hold the viewers attention.

I‘m not sure if there is a way to correct it….I welcome any tips, tricks or settings in Resolve.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: dozzn
No flying over moving vehicles.

No flying over moving vehicles.
I actually was not directly over the road. I took the clip and zoomed-in/centered the footage to create the illusion of flying over the road.

I have a habit of flying much higher than needed to give myself some cushion. The trade-off is the need to edit the clip but the loss of quality is hardly noticeable when filming in 4K….hardly noticeable for my recreational purposes.

Reactions: snowghost
As you have been told before, the first scene of the video stutters and some more. It could be for several reasons:

- It is recorded at a very high shutter speed. You can fix it with ND filters but I don't think that's the case since you didn't have much light.

- You have edited the video (timeline), or the final render, at a different fps than you recorded it. Using the "optical flow" and/or "smooth" options in the "retime and scaling" options usually helps to minimize it (not make it disappear). The real solution is to edit and render at the same frps than source footage.

- Accelerating / decelerating the scenes, may be another reason why it happens. The above options also help, but do not make the problem go away. In Davinci Resolve (someone mentioned it, are you using it?) you have the "Speed Warp" option that works very well but you need a very powerful computer to avoid it to fail.

About the colors of the video, nothing to say because with such conditions it is very difficult to do anything better.

About the video in general, my subjective opinion is that apart from seeing the impressive snow storm, it has no interesting scenes, no interesting drone movement, ...etc...

I hope my comments help you in some way

With only one clip of warm weather; You could build a cool waypoints mission - from the comfort of your computer then go out and fly it in winter and again in spring/summer and intercut between the two. This would take your 'seasons' concept to an impressive level. If you have bright fall foliage - you might even do spring-fall-winter to represent a full year.

That wouldn't really work here in San Diego with no apparent difference in the seasons.
All of our seasons come a bit late, so I came up with a poem:
We got Spring in the Summer
Summer in the Fall
Fall in the Winter
and no winter at all!

With only one clip of warm weather; You could build a cool waypoints mission - from the comfort of your computer then go out and fly it in winter and again in spring/summer and intercut between the two. This would take your 'seasons' concept to an impressive level. If you have bright fall foliage - you might even do spring-fall-winter to represent a full year.

That wouldn't really work here in San Diego with no apparent difference in the seasons.
All of our seasons come a bit late, so I came up with a poem:
We got Spring in the Summer
Summer in the Fall
Fall in the Winter
and no winter at all!

That is a cool idea. I just need to find a more interesting spot to fly. The point of my flight was not really about making the video but testing the drone's ability to handle the snow in a remote area in case the flight didn't go as planned. However, I like your idea of flying the same spot over several seasons. Thanks!

I like the video, I especially enjoyed the car scene at the end.
I did find that some of the clips were kinda choppy, i’m not sure if that was on my end or on YouTube or what?

But either way, keep up the good work.

Do you mind watching this clip to see if the stutter is still an issue? I made some tweaks in Resolve. The first 7 seconds is the same intro clip from the original video with different render settings but still at 2x speed. The remaining 16 seconds is the same clip at the original speed.

Hopefully the stutter is gone or largely phased out.

It looks much better but still stutters a little bit. Is it's editted and rendered / exported at the same fps than shot, perhaps it's a record problem. Did you know the 180º rule? Shutter Speed, Frame Rate and the 180° Rule

Do you mind watching this clip to see if the stutter is still an issue? I made some tweaks in Resolve. The first 7 seconds is the same intro clip from the original video with different render settings but still at 2x speed. The remaining 16 seconds is the same clip at the original speed.

Hopefully the stutter is gone or largely phased out.

It looks much better but still stutters a little bit. If it's editted and rendered / exported at the same fps than shoot, perhaps it's a record problem. In that case is very. In this case, it is very rare that it could be fixed.

Did you know the 180º rule? Shutter Speed, Frame Rate and the 180° Rule

It looks much better but still stutters a little bit. Is it's editted and rendered / exported at the same fps than shot, perhaps it's a record problem. Did you know the 180º rule? Shutter Speed, Frame Rate and the 180° Rule

It looks much better but still stutters a little bit. If it's editted and rendered / exported at the same fps than shoot, perhaps it's a record problem. In that case is very. In this case, it is very rare that it could be fixed.

Did you know the 180º rule? Shutter Speed, Frame Rate and the 180° Rule

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have been filming and rendering at the same FPS. I was aware of the Sutter/Frame Rate ratio but have not necessarily checked my settings in some time. I have some homework to do before my next flight and edit session. Thanks again,

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
Love the overhead road shot and how you used following the car for the reveal of horizon.

I would suggest bumping the brightness on the winter shots, turn those greys into something more white. It just looks a bit gloomy, which contrasts greatly with the colourful fall shots.

Title says it all, please let me know where you think I could improve on this video. Thanks!

Not sure what drone you have but 60fps really has LPS smooth out high movement shots. I would have tilted up the camera sooner on the car shot. A little more contrast in the snow shots would make them pop more. I hope thls helps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S