DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for Insurance to fly Mavic Pro - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ASM_DJI001

Reactions
Transport Canada requires us to have insurance when flying drone, even for 'recreational drone flyer'. I tried calling several insurance companies and brokers but no luck. Anyone from Canada actually bough insurance for flying thier drone? Please leave me your comments, thanks in advance...[emoji1063][emoji106][emoji56][emoji120][emoji108][emoji111]️

I am not aware of that regulation currently for the average mavic pro user in Canada. It is only required for a mavic pro that you use for work or research! Canada is "proposing" new rules that might include insurance for all. However, they have not been put in effect.

Reactions: ASM_DJI001
Thanks for the info, I see it.. Nothing that says 'insurance
401a0d14bda0b45591f7630e85ece78b.jpg
[emoji106][emoji108][emoji56][emoji120][emoji111]️[emoji72]

Transport Canada requires us to have insurance when flying drone, even for 'recreational drone flyer'. I tried calling several insurance companies and brokers but no luck. Anyone from Canada actually bough insurance for flying thier drone? Please leave me your comments, thanks in advance...[emoji1063][emoji106][emoji56][emoji120][emoji108][emoji111]️

The Insurance requirement for Recreational users is a PROPOSAL and not mandated yet by Transport Canada.

I would like to see more options for insurance. My mavic has fallen onto cars before. Lucky no damage.

I would like to see more options for insurance. My mavic has fallen onto cars before. Lucky no damage.

yikes!! Fallen due to hitting a tree or major malfunction?

In any case, if you do find out more information, can you post up here? thanks

I'll be looking into getting insurance on my mavic platinum when i pull the trigger as well.

I'm a broker in Mississauga @ Able Insurance,
I know that Intact, Premiere Marine offer stand alone drone coverage.

Intact:
Drone Insurance
Drones are becoming an increasingly common feature of business. If your company uses a small drone for surveying purposes, aerial photography, inspection, farming or any other commercial activity, talk to a broker about our insurance coverage for drones.

Our commercial drone insurance includes damage to and loss of the drone, ground station equipment, drone-mounted devices such as cameras, and spare parts. Our commercial drone product helps meet the evolving and future needs of your business.

Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions apply to all offers. The information that appears on this website is provided to you for information purposes only. Your insurance contract prevails at all times. Please consult it for a complete description of coverage and exclusions.

If anyone requires a quote for this coverage you can pm me.

I was about to buy a Mavic Air today an I decided to hold off since my insurance company told me they are not covering it for liability. Was not able to find another cie that could either.

Found some youtube videos where some guys made the exercise. As expensive as the drone itself !! Decided to double check I just came back into Transport Canada drone pages and this is confusing. You have a pdf copy above here in this post that does not mention about the need of liability insurances. And further down the page you have PROPOSED rules including liability insurances.

So the question is... is it only proposed ? What if I dont have a liability insurance ? Will there be this 3000$ fine ?

I am a photographer who was very excited about drone photographic possibilities... But now I am no longer sure I will ever get another one. I have owned a P4 in 2016 sold it because of TC interim order that was too restrictives. New rules plus proposed ones finally are not even better when you look closely. Being a ledgit recreational drone user is almost impossible !! Sad !!

I was about to buy a Mavic Air today an I decided to hold off since my insurance company told me they are not covering it for liability. Was not able to find another cie that could either.

Found some youtube videos where some guys made the exercise. As expensive as the drone itself !! Decided to double check I just came back into Transport Canada drone pages and this is confusing. You have a pdf copy above here in this post that does not mention about the need of liability insurances. And further down the page you have PROPOSED rules including liability insurances.

So the question is... is it only proposed ? What if I dont have a liability insurance ? Will there be this 3000$ fine ?

I am a photographer who was very excited about drone photographic possibilities... But now I am no longer sure I will ever get another one. I have owned a P4 in 2016 sold it because of TC interim order that was too restrictives. New rules plus proposed ones finally are not even better when you look closely. Being a ledgit recreational drone user is almost impossible !! Sad !!

Who is your insurance company?

i just got a quote with Premiere for my mavic paltinum, 1,000,000 liability covers all risk drone and accessories. about $600 annually.

problem is ill be travelling to usa and french polynesia so i need world wide coverage, im surrently in talks with zurich no as i was told they might offer a world wide coverage.

Hello,
I am also actively looking for insurance carriers that will tackle drones.
I found one so far and that is State Farm, they charge approximately $75 - $100 down in the U.S. and that's how I knew they will insure drones.
Phoned them here in Canada today and was quoted $525 for a million and $650 for two million.
I think that's a little overboard so I am still looking.
I doubt that I will find rates that will be any better as this is Canada and it seems to be fair game here to charge any one just about any rate they feel like.

In any case, if you should find a decent company with decent rates, let us know.

The only other option I know of is a MAAC membership which may be a bit better but then you are possibly stuck with only being able to fly on MAAC sanctioned fields.

Hope that helps, PJ.

MAAC does not cover any form of UAV it's on their site, at least by their own confusing wording ;) I'm guessing drones would not fall under model aircraft since we don't build them ;)

Insurance Advisory Group | Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

Look under unmanned UAV

to quote:

"Transport Canada defines an unmanned air vehicle as a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator on board.

Transport Canada defines a model aircraft as an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.

MAAC insurance provides cover for model aircraft as defined by Transport Canada and radio controlled models must also be flown in direct line of sight. Any other type of radio-controlled flying machine is classified as a UAV.

UAV operation may be for commercial or recreational purposes. Our coverage does not extend to any type of UAV.

Note that operation of a UAV without Transport Canada approval has an individual penalty of $5,000.00."

The whole insurance thing is a big debacle as I see it. Yes ok have insurance, but it should be reasonable, the govt says should be available for 15 bucks. ya Ok TELL ME WHERE. I've been researching canada drone insurance for 2 hours the insurance people are in the dark, quoting old rules and regulations.

Thankfully right now the changes are only proposed, we can hope this is dragged out a while, they've even stated even IF it were to pass (testing, insurance etc) it will take them another 18 months to try ... TRY... to implement the infrastructure to handle the testing part alone. And since I would assume the law cannot be prosecuted until the exam system is in place and or the insurance infrastructure available. ....

Last edited:
So, I just need to get this right, IS the insurance rule in place or is it not?
And do we need to register or not yet.
I do know that personal info needs to be affixed to the aircraft at this time.
Also know the rules on limits and allowances...sort of.
I have stuck to flying my el cheapo full control drones til I am confident a swat team will not do the GO GO GO thing on my property.
I have maybe a half hour on my first pro which is now on the way for gimbal repair, and have one coming from DJI for redundancy.
I assume that if I stay under 300 ft and within a 1300 ft range LOS I should be fine if I stay compliant with local requirements.
That sound about right?
Oh...this is in Canadian airspace in a control and restriction free zone out in the tulies.
PJ.

Correct, there has been no announcement or even confirmation that the current canadian laws have changed again. So for recreational flights you do not need insurance. We do not have a need to registration at all. Yes personal info needs to be on the drone, (I have mine taped to the back of the back arms) Yes under 300 feet, make sure you are 5.5km away from airports and 1.8km away from heli only pads. And 1640 feet away from you max.

If you talk to a few police officers they will tell you they are too busy chasing real crimes and not drone operators, UNLESS you do something that causes damage, hurts someone, or generally pisses someone off you will be fine. Remember you must be 30meters away from people and vehicles. That's about 40 paces. (I walked that distance today during my flying just to get a feel for eyeing it up, and its a lot closer than I actually thought.)

Fly respectfully and mindful of your surroundings and no swat team will show up. :)

Reactions: timinator
Correct, there has been no announcement or even confirmation that the current canadian laws have changed again. So for recreational flights you do not need insurance. We do not have a need to registration at all. Yes personal info needs to be on the drone, (I have mine taped to the back of the back arms) Yes under 300 feet, make sure you are 5.5km away from airports and 1.8km away from heli only pads. And 1640 feet away from you max.

If you talk to a few police officers they will tell you they are too busy chasing real crimes and not drone operators, UNLESS you do something that causes damage, hurts someone, or generally pisses someone off you will be fine. Remember you must be 30meters away from people and vehicles. That's about 40 paces. (I walked that distance today during my flying just to get a feel for eyeing it up, and its a lot closer than I actually thought.)

Fly respectfully and mindful of your surroundings and no swat team will show up. :)
Thank you for that.
I have no compunction to go fly near people, cars or whatever else anyway, I'm happy just to get the muscle/memory thing wound up again and fly "beginner" mode with the MP.
I fly on my own piece of land and practice all the options slowly but sofar mostly with older full control stuff mixed with a tiny bit of MP and I'm in no hurry.
I am totally not against registration or insurance but loathe the kind of control that tends to run our lives rather than govern and guide.
The quotes I got for insurance were just not feasable to even consider.
One company that works both the US and Canada charges around $75 Stateside but wants $625 here in Ontario.
So I hope that will all work out in the wash.
Thanks for the info. PJ

Thank you for that.
I have no compunction to go fly near people, cars or whatever else anyway, I'm happy just to get the muscle/memory thing wound up again and fly "beginner" mode with the MP.
I fly on my own piece of land and practice all the options slowly but sofar mostly with older full control stuff mixed with a tiny bit of MP and I'm in no hurry.
I am totally not against registration or insurance but loathe the kind of control that tends to run our lives rather than govern and guide.
The quotes I got for insurance were just not feasable to even consider.
One company that works both the US and Canada charges around $75 Stateside but wants $625 here in Ontario.
So I hope that will all work out in the wash.
Thanks for the info. PJ

I fly with people in the area, but I am well away from them (and further than the govt specified 30m) and if I happen to be nearer on a fly by I will generally go talk to them and say what I'm doing. But 99% of the time I don't want people around me or my drone, one they are going to distract you, 2 someone is gonna do something stupid and wanna touch your drone or something.

Having a drone is becoming similar to owning a handgun up here. Those who respect the rules end up being ambassadors and good will types as well as education experts on drones, laws and what it's all about. You see people like that on the news, promoting safety, respect etc. it will end up being the same with drones. I don't own much more than the land around my house but even that is regulated with the same rules, which I don't agree with at all. It's my house, I pay taxes. as far as I'm concerned I own some of my own airspace ;)

I agree with registration something simple like in the states, a few bucks as a one time fee and you're set. but the government will do their best to make a profit on it for themselves.

I've looked up the insurance too, did a lot of that when I first thought it was currently a requirement, (thankfully its not right now) and like you I found the same garbage. we get screwed enough by our insurance companies up here, this is just a new source of revenue for them so they are going high out of the gate. It's pathetic. It shouldn't matter what I am doing it should be possible to get affordable personal liability. They want 700+ a year because its a drone, yet I could get on my mountain bike and cause 5x the damage. It's stupid.

I personally see the insurance thing causing the new government rules a lot of issues. which might be good for us on the whole, as they may drop the requirement or mandate an insurance policy change regarding it. If they want to stick with the current draft of the rules they want it would be easiest to incorporate a drone into your drivers license (they want service ontario testing it anyhow, would not be that hard), then allow your auto liability to be used as your insurance. But the insurance companies would still rip us off regardless. It will be interesting to see what happens.

But soon you'll need a beginners to fly a drone, then a flying test, lol. can you imagine. It just goes all sorts of wrong from this point. The government has to learn that they can't regulate stupid ;)

Have fun flying :) The weather around here for the next 2 weeks is no flying :( ugh.

Heard the no flyin bit, so I just bought a Tello yesterday to ease the yearning.
Just can't fly it from scratch off a surface in a confined space like a big truck lol. Maybe when the controllers come out that can change.
My other 4"x4" cam quad will fly in the truck but is not stabilised and does not hover, it's another finger fighter.

I don't think the government is trying to be greedy with this like the insurance companies or trying to micro manage, but are really trying to come up with reasonable rules and regs, to find a middle ground for all involved. But safety is an epidemic as we well know, so that will be the major part of rule & law making without a doubt!

I can just see a droner standing in an area where the right to flight has been co-ordinated with the Fire dept and first responders with a team of compliance agents and NASA reps present, spending a few hours putting reflective gear on the drone operating citizen only to be able to fly for 15 minutes before daylight has dissapeared!
Ok ok, I'm done ranting.

Insurance companies who have no limits as to where to start with no clear established guidelines from said government will no doubt default to coming in with high rather than low rates like they always do.
I am sure it is a giant headache for rule and lawmakers to try and please everyone to come to a reasonable standard, so maybe the insurance companies are doing some subliminal price casting hoping to hit another jackpot like they did with motorcycles up here and may be trying to dive in as profitable as possible until some guidelines are set.
I seriously doubt that the government will force ANY rate limits as drones are not really a major market yet and only cause headaches, hence the quick changing limitations.
If it does go stupid, maybe I can learn from them and return the favor. PJ.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose