DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for Mini3 Pro photographer response

New England Droning

Reactions
I'm first and foremost a photographer with an airborne camera. (currently mini2) and since so far DJI doesn't seem to be putting remote ID on the mini2 I'm looking at gifting my brother-in-law with the mini2 and upgrading to a better airborne camera. (he would only fly as a recreational so no RID and trust only)

Now, I know the camera on the 3 Pro is better than the mini 2 with its 4000x2000 raw shots and it appears the raw on the mini 3 Pro is up to 8064 x 6048 (I assume dng) is it better to go this route? Or should I go with the bigger price tag and sensor of the Mavic 3. (they seem to have worked out the bugs finally)

Is the larger sensor of the mavic 3 classic ($1,749.00 flymore kit at B&H) worth jumping up from the Mini 3 pro ($1,158.00 at B&H)
From a pure photographer standpoint, which would you go with? These prices are for the flymore kits so they are similar and both come with the DJI RC remote...

As a photographer myself, if I was in your situation, I would not be in doubt for one second - the Mavic 3 is superior for photo quality.
The image sensor is so much bigger - the area is 225 mm2, while the Mini 3 sensor is 69 mm2. That makes a huge difference, especially in low light, but you will see the difference in daylight as well. The Mavic sensor simply collects more light.
The Mini 3 has a 12MP sensor, the Mavic 3 20MP. (the "48MP" on the mini 3 is mostly marketing hype).
The Mavic 3 camera ha an adjustable aperture, as a photographer you know how important that can be.
The Mavic 3 also has a larger dynamic range.

Of course the Mini 3 has its advantages over the Mavic, but photo quality is not one of them.

As a photographer myself, if I was in your situation, I would not be in doubt for one second - the Mavic 3 is superior for photo quality.
The image sensor is so much bigger - the area is 225 mm2, while the Mini 3 sensor is 69 mm2. That makes a huge difference, especially in low light, but you will see the difference in daylight as well. The Mavic sensor simply collects more light.
The Mini 3 has a 12MP sensor, the Mavic 3 20MP. (the "48MP" on the mini 3 is mostly marketing hype).
The Mavic 3 camera ha an adjustable aperture, as a photographer you know how important that can be.
The Mavic 3 also has a larger dynamic range.

Of course the Mini 3 has its advantages over the Mavic, but photo quality is not one of them.
I also like that the Mavic 3 has Omnidirectional avoidance versus the 3-direction avoidance. (I need all the help I can get :cool: ) Does the Mavic 3 have anything for the built-in vertical shooting that the Mini 3 pro has?

I'm first and foremost a photographer with an airborne camera. (currently mini2) and since so far DJI doesn't seem to be putting remote ID on the mini2 I'm looking at gifting my brother-in-law with the mini2 and upgrading to a better airborne camera. (he would only fly as a recreational so no RID and trust only)

Now, I know the camera on the 3 Pro is better than the mini 2 with its 4000x2000 raw shots and it appears the raw on the mini 3 Pro is up to 8064 x 6048 (I assume dng) is it better to go this route? Or should I go with the bigger price tag and sensor of the Mavic 3. (they seem to have worked out the bugs finally)

Is the larger sensor of the mavic 3 classic ($1,749.00 flymore kit at B&H) worth jumping up from the Mini 3 pro ($1,158.00 at B&H)
From a pure photographer standpoint, which would you go with? These prices are for the flymore kits so they are similar and both come with the DJI RC remote...
There is no question but the Mav 3...however...if I were a serious photographer (I am) I would wait and save up for the Mav3. The tele lens is a game changer. I invite you to look at some of the vids on my channel and you will see a lot of tele lens work. It is incredible for panoramas (shot manually). https://www.youtube.com/@digibud/videos

Reactions: Wangodetango

Resolution between mini 2 and mini 3 are the same. The 48MP is all smoke. The reason it has improved image quality is due to a larger sensor. The wider aperture makes it better in low light as well.
Yes, the Mavic 3 is the way to go in all aspects but size, legality and portability. You can fly the mini 3 with no pilot's license provided you're not using it for business purposes. The mavic 3 you need to get your part 107 license since it's over 250g.

This guy on YouTube... Billy Kyle really knows his stuff and has a huge following and ref mini 3 Pro v mavic 3.... its definitely worth watching and you may be very surprised. The title alone gives you a good idea of where this is heading.
Billy Kyle is a technology enthusiast, and has good knowledge on drone technology.
But he is not a photographer, and his knowledge in photography is lacking.

Hi. I'm a professional photographer so I can add my two cents.

Yes, the Mavic 3 has a much better camera. So you will get higher-quality photos in term of quality, sharpness, and low light. Because of the dynamic range, you will be able to play with the RAW photos a lot more in Lightroom to enhance brightness in the foreground plus bring back things the sky on a brighty lit day, with much less artifacts than doing is similarly on a Mini 3 Pro.

But..

I use a drone to shoot commercial properties all around the country, photos and video. Because I am constantly traveling, NOTHING beats the Mini 3 Pro, the controller, 4 batteries, and charger fitting in my carry on luggage. The Mavic 3 and same accessories would take up double the space and weight in my bag. When I am going on a 4 day trip and need room for my other gear, then I will always reach for the Mini 3 Pro. The picture/video quality is more than enough for my company. They care about the pics of the buildings and surrounding area. The Mini 3 Pro on a nice day always delivers. While I may notice the difference in a Mini 3 photo vs Mavic 3 photo, the clients won't.

Bonus: I also now carry the DJI Avata with me on these trips as well. The clients love seeing a close-to-the-ground video of the property. For example, for a strip mall, I will use my Mini 3 Pro to shoot photos of the property from all angles. Then I will make a video circling the property. Then take off with the Avata and fly around the stores and parking, so they can get up close video of the storefronts and visitors there.

Sample property video:

Sample property photos:
DJI_0068-HDR.jpg
DJI_0845-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Billy Kyle is a technology enthusiast, and has good knowledge on drone technology.
But he is not a photographer, and his knowledge in photography is lacking.
And he didn't so much as mention a single shortcoming of the Mini 3. Not the potential for crashes due to the lack of side obstacle avoidance sensors. Not the fogging of the lens so many have encountered. Not the problems with using the 48MP mode.

If I wanted a benefits only video I'd just watch the official DJI channel...

I'm a retired cinematographer.
I've made several 16X20 prints from my (now gone, gifted) Mini 2.
My Mini 3 Pro does even better.
There's nothing wrong with either camera, especially if you know how to stitch. As a matter of fact, they're both astonishing.
The portability and convenience factor is huge for me, as is the long flight times on the Mini 3 Pro.
The long lens on the Mavic 3 is tempting.

Reactions: New England Droning
I LOVE my Mavic 3 and the pictures it produces, but since I travel a lot, I needed something compatible with that, and the Mini 3 Pro fills in quite nicely. Here are some comparisons.

Mavic 3:

Mini 3 Pro:

This one is an HDRi composite, which I was trying to avoid sharing (since it is not apples - apples), but I don't have many M3P samples online yet.

Last edited:
I LOVE my Mavic 3 and the pictures it produces, but since I travel a lot, I needed something compatible with that, and the Mini 3 Pro fills in quite nicely. Here are some comparisons.

Mavic 3:

Mini 3 Pro:

This one is an HDRi composite, which I was trying to avoid sharing, but I don't have many M3P samples online yet.

Great photos. That lightning is spectacular!

I should have also said that if flying conditions are more important to you than how easy it is to travel with, the Mavic 3 is a more stable platform in higher winds. It really comes down to what you plan to shoot, and where.

Hi. I'm a professional photographer so I can add my two cents.

Yes, the Mavic 3 has a much better camera. So you will get higher-quality photos in term of quality, sharpness, and low light. Because of the dynamic range, you will be able to play with the RAW photos a lot more in Lightroom to enhance brightness in the foreground plus bring back things the sky on a brighty lit day, with much less artifacts than doing is similarly on a Mini 3 Pro.

But..

I use a drone to shoot commercial properties all around the country, photos and video. Because I am constantly traveling, NOTHING beats the Mini 3 Pro, the controller, 4 batteries, and charger fitting in my carry on luggage. The Mavic 3 and same accessories would take up double the space and weight in my bag. When I am going on a 4 day trip and need room for my other gear, then I will always reach for the Mini 3 Pro. The picture/video quality is more than enough for my company. They care about the pics of the buildings and surrounding area. The Mini 3 Pro on a nice day always delivers. While I may notice the difference in a Mini 3 photo vs Mavic 3 photo, the clients won't.

Bonus: I also now carry the DJI Avata with me on these trips as well. The clients love seeing a close-to-the-ground video of the property. For example, for a strip mall, I will use my Mini 3 Pro to shoot photos of the property from all angles. Then I will make a video circling the property. Then take off with the Avata and fly around the stores and parking, so they can get up close video of the storefronts and visitors there.

Sample property video:

Sample property photos:
View attachment 159033
View attachment 159034

Mavic 3:

Mini 3 Pro:

This one is an HDRi composite, which I was trying to avoid sharing (since it is not apples - apples), but I don't have many M3P samples online yet.
I agree with @Coskier and @waynorth, the Mavic 3 is obviously the higher spec, but the Mini 3 Pro punches way above its weight, as they have both shown. I have only used my M3P in the dark or low light and have been blown away with the results.
It has also been able to handle higher winds than I expected, so for me, (not a pro photographer, but a serious enthusiast), the M3P is more than enough for me.

Great work gents...👍

Resolution between mini 2 and mini 3 are the same. The 48MP is all smoke. The reason it has improved image quality is due to a larger sensor. The wider aperture makes it better in low light as well.
Yes, the Mavic 3 is the way to go in all aspects but size, legality and portability. You can fly the mini 3 with no pilot's license provided you're not using it for business purposes. The mavic 3 you need to get your part 107 license since it's over 250g.
You don't need a Part 107 certificate to fly any of the drones. You just need to fly either commercially or recreationally and follow the rules accordingly.

You might also consider the Air2s if you want something better than the Mini 3 Pro, but don't want the expense of the Mavic 3. I have used the Air 2s extensively. I always shoot in raw and edit my photos. I don't know if I consider my self a "Pro Photographer", but I regularly submit photos to the local camera club and usually receive high scores from the judges, who are professionals. I also have large prints of some of my photos on my wall and get compliments from everyone who sees them.

That being said, I recently bought a Mini 3 Pro. I love it for many reasons. It's quiet and doesn't draw attention (the Air2s is pretty good this way, too), I like being able to switch the camera to the portrait orientation. The photos look very good. If you start pixel-peeping, the Air2s is a fair amount better. If I was doing something professional for a client, I would use the Air2s. It's not that the Mini 3 Pro wouldn't be passable, I would just want the photos to be as good as they could. If all I had was the Mini 3 Pro, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a paying gig.

As for processing, I'm noticing that I have to drag certain sliders farther to get the results I want. Highlights, for instance. Some of this could be due to the camera settings I'm using, as I still need to get those dialed in better. Overall, I think the 48MP setting is a little better if you're cropping in much, but overall, I don't see a lot of difference between that and the 12MP. The downside to using the 48MP setting is that it takes the camera a couple seconds to write the image to the card.

I'd be curious to hear what you decided, and why. Keep us posted!

It really depends on what you plan on doing with the images. I have the Mini 3 Pro and it’s good for my needs as I rarely print larger than say a Nirmal poster size. If you plan to print larger than that then the 4/3 sensor on the Mavic would produce far greater quality. But if you’re only planning on showing your photography online or in smaller prints then the Mini 3 Pro is beautiful, and way easier to travel with which was really the big reason for me. It means I’ll actually use and travel with it way more. No doubt though that the Mavic is far superior quality with the larger sensor.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas