DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking to buy a decent Tablet for my Mavic Pro

xShadowPro

Reactions
As per the title I'm looking for a decent affordable tablet that can meet my flying needs for the MAVIC PRO.

Everywhere I go people suggest the Crystal sky but being a locked down monitor with only the DJI Go app capability and the price tag, I feel this is not for me.

I'm torn between a few tablets that I want to consider being the iPad Mini 4, iPad mini 2, Lenovo Tab 4 8" Plus, Nvidia Shield K1, Samsung Tab S2 etc. (I hear Apple have CPU overload issues)

What I want is a tablet that will be good when I'm not flying, very responsive when I am flying without any latency issues or lag. I'm not too fussed on celluar/4G as I can hotspot my phone or download offline maps.

What tablets do you use or recommend and why?
All responses are appreciated :)

There are lots of great tablets available. I keep a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here. These tablets will work for the Mavic Pro or any other drone that uses DJI GO.

KB-Best-Tablets.jpg

If you're looking for a tablet with great performance, then don't buy the cheapest tablet available. Choose one of the tablets that also has great specs.

There are lots of great tablets available. I keep a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here. These tablets will work for the Mavic Pro or any other drone that uses DJI GO.

View attachment 34142

If you're looking for a tablet with great performance, then don't buy the cheapest tablet available. Choose one of the tablets that also has great specs.

I appreciate your response, I have taken a look at this list but wish to hear from those who have experienced the tablets. That way I can come to a final decision :)

I still use an iPad Mini2 and that works really fine, never had any issue with it. They are quite reasonably priced second hand. The build quality of (any) iPad is incredible. And any DJI app runs very smooth on it. But I use an Android phone as well. I just want to be able to switch between both worlds.

Got it. While you wait for responses to trickle in, you could check out the many existing threads on this topic in these search results.

I just got an iPad mini 4, and in addition to working good with my MP it’s a pretty decent tablet.

I got it last weekend for $99 from Walmart. All the Walmarts around here appear to be selling off their demo units of the iPad mini 4. It’s worth checking your local Walmart.

That said, based on all the talk about how well it works with the MP, I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t as bright out in the sun as I had expected. I figured maybe since mine was a demo the screen had gotten dimmer. So I bought a brand new one from target and lo and behold it had the exact same brightness (returned it and kept the demo).

That’s the area where the Crystal sky shines: it seems to be the only tablet that is truly visible in bright sun. Alas I can’t justify that price for it (at least not yet). I do have the dji goggles, which I would say are even better in the sun, albeit with loss of LOS, but they don’t really take the place of a tablet.

Mike

I am also looking and think I am am going to go for the $129 Lenovo Tab 4 8......MUCH brighter than the $79 Huawei T3 7", and higher res.
I have an Ipad Mini 4, but I would rather have the freedom of running different DJI GO4 versions, not to mention mods on them.

I've been using the K88 from AT&T. I found it on a hum-bug (down south slang word) meaning lucked up and found it without even searching for one. So far no issues.

If you like to dink around with software downgrades and pirate control software and don’t mind spending time messing with the hardware buy an android device. Eventually you will find a software / firmware combinations that will work for you. If you just want to know that you can grab and go fly without issues, and if you like to always use current updates, go with a newer iPad. Mini 4 will fit in the controller clamps, or a larger iPad with a bracket gives a bigger screen. CLEARLY the iPads are the device of choice for more than half of the users here.

There are 3 kinds of androids. Good, cheap, and fast.
Sadly you can only pick two of these choices when buying android tablets.

ETA:
Good +Cheap = NOT Fast
Cheap + fast = NOT Good
Fast + Good = NOT Cheap

Last edited:
There are 3 kinds of androids. Good, cheap, and fast.
Sadly you can only pick two of these choices when buying android tablets.

Any examples of fast and cheap? Wouldn't mind one myself?

As per the title I'm looking for a decent affordable tablet that can meet my flying needs for the MAVIC PRO.

Everywhere I go people suggest the Crystal sky but being a locked down monitor with only the DJI Go app capability and the price tag, I feel this is not for me.

I'm torn between a few tablets that I want to consider being the iPad Mini 4, iPad mini 2, Lenovo Tab 4 8" Plus, Nvidia Shield K1, Samsung Tab S2 etc. (I hear Apple have CPU overload issues)

What I want is a tablet that will be good when I'm not flying, very responsive when I am flying without any latency issues or lag. I'm not too fussed on celluar/4G as I can hotspot my phone or download offline maps.

All responses are appreciated :)
Hi
If You want decent tablet then go for Ipad mini4, air 2 or pro. Stay away from android. Much more problems with android devices. Ipad will cost You more than android but it won`t cause You so much headache. also don`t bother with older apple devices as those are outdated now. thanks

Experience with four different tablets used with Mavic Pro and Spark-

Nexus 7x-
Lots of people like it, but I found it to be slow and has definite video lag, especially with Spark.

IPad Air 2 cellular model without cellular activation-
Works great, but I had to buy expensive Mavmount tablet holder to use it with controller. Hard to see display in bright sunlight.

iPad Mini 4 cellular model without cellular activation-
Fits controller better than Air 2. Right angle lightning connector makes it easier to hold controller. Also hard to see in bright sunlight, but you can see it on overcast days. Currently Apple only sells expensive 128 Gb model if you want GPS built in.

CrystalSky Ultra-
Fantastic display, very easy to see in bright sunlight. But cost twice as much as iPads, and responds slower than iPads! Also l had video breakup using Spark. Some people reported overheating and display problems, but everything works for me. I had hoped it would work better than iPads since it is so expensive. The dji mount is expensive but works better than alternatives for attaching CrystalSky tablet to controllers.

I ended up using CrystalSky in direct sunlight and iPad mini 4 (when I can borrow it from wife) in the shade. I tried using sunshields, but they were too inconvenient to use the touchscreen. I live in a dji Authorization Zone, and it is easier to use iPad to obtain dji authorizations. But you cannot download maps using the dji Go 4 app on iPads. You will need to open dji Go 4 app while connected to the internet to view the maps in the area where you want to fly. You can store the maps on the iPad as long as as you do not reboot. Lots of people use Android devices, but for me iPads have been more reliable for running dji apps.

I still use an iPad Mini2 and that works really fine, never had any issue with it. They are quite reasonably priced second hand. The build quality of (any) iPad is incredible. And any DJI app runs very smooth on it. But I use an Android phone as well. I just want to be able to switch between both worlds.
I also have had an ipad mini 2 for over a year with my mavic pro. Never an issue either, but I have had an issue with my samsung tab A. I would stick with apple to be on the safe side.

iPad mini 4. Have played with numerous android phones and tablets (including an s8) and the apps tend to be unreliable with random disconnects and crashes. Bought the iPad mini 4 and it's perfect. Additional bonus is that it fits perfectly in the standard grips on the controller.

Reactions: Siwyleeds
Yep... Who cares... As long as its Fast... And cheap!
Any examples?

Look for it wisely then. I bought my ipad mini 4 16gb wifi 6months ago for 120£. The power button doesnt work and both cameras doesnt work but as a displey for my baby it works perfectlt. It is cheap and fast in my case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird