DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looks like the Mavic 3 Classic is coming, Air2S killer?

"Air 2S killer"?

Still physically larger. Good flight characteristics and camera, but physically a lot bigger.
Will be interesting to see what the lens characteristics are like. Plus whether it can use the existing Mavic 3 filters.
Physical aperture more useful for video than photo.
Better USB-charging integration for field use.

One would hope there's still room for a sub-500g "Air 3" that can do vertical camera orientation, and how the pricing of these Mini/Air/Mavic series will settle down.

Last edited:
I'm not as thrilled as some with the rapidly changing models. If I drop two to three grand on a camera I have something that will last a couple of decades. I will still be able too purchase "disposables" e.g. batteries. With a DJI drone I have about three years before it becomes difficult to source disposables. That's somewhere between $50 and $100 per month for the drone. For a guy that uses a drone mostly for establishing and transitioning footage that's a bit ridiculas. The Mavic 3 camera has a bit better resolution but for a three second clip, who cares?

This could be good for Mavic 2 pilots who stayed put due to the Mavic 3's huge price bump and controller downgrade. The M3's 7x lens was panned by all. Many, like me, stayed put with the Mavic 2 not seeing enough additional features and benefits to warrant such a big invesment for so little additional practical return. But if the Mavic 3C has the basics of the M3 and is $500 less, that might be an opportunity to buy DJI Pro controller, which would take the sting out of making that move.

This could be good for Mavic 2 pilots who stayed put due to the Mavic 3's huge price bump and controller downgrade. The M3's 7x lens was panned by all. Many, like me, stayed put with the Mavic 2 not seeing enough additional features and benefits to warrant such a big invesment for so little additional practical return. But if the Mavic 3C has the basics of the M3 and is $500 less, that might be an opportunity to buy DJI Pro controller, which would take the sting out of making that move.
The only ones still panning the 7x telephoto are those didn't buy the Mavic 3 and haven't had a chance to see what a game changer it is, especially with the RC Pro controller. The 7x telephoto camera now supports DNG and manual camera settings, and the initial focus issues have been vastly improved! A Mavic 3 Classic without the 7x telephoto is just an M2P with a longer flight time. Mavic 3 SDK support is also still a ways away. M2P is still a venerable aircraft with an SDK and Litchi support, unless you see value in the 7x telephoto on the Mavic 3. The 7x telephoto alone is worth the upgrade. Check out the 9 images by @HoozierDroneDaddy on this page:

I'm not as thrilled as some with the rapidly changing models. If I drop two to three grand on a camera I have something that will last a couple of decades. I will still be able too purchase "disposables" e.g. batteries. With a DJI drone I have about three years before it becomes difficult to source disposables. That's somewhere between $50 and $100 per month for the drone. For a guy that uses a drone mostly for establishing and transitioning footage that's a bit ridiculas. The Mavic 3 camera has a bit better resolution but for a three second clip, who cares?
I get your point but it's more than 3 years. You can get Phantom 2 batteries from Amazon right now and that drone will be 10 next year. The Mavic Pro 2 is 5 next year and still no issue getting batteries. I do hear you on the speed of release and that alone will make someone feel they are behind all the time but "consumables" are still around for quite a while so long as people are still buying them. Once people stop the market will stop and move forward.

I get your point but it's more than 3 years. You can get Phantom 2 batteries from Amazon right now and that drone will be 10 next year. The Mavic Pro 2 is 5 next year and still no issue getting batteries. I do hear you on the speed of release and that alone will make someone feel they are behind all the time but "consumables" are still around for quite a while so long as people are still buying them. Once people stop the market will stop and move forward.
I hope you're right and most likely are. I see the posts where folks are having a rough time getting batteries check DJI direct and there out of stock and I begin to worry.

As stated by someone else and confirmed by me, the Mavic 2 batteries are sold out in many places. The DJI store is sold out. And where the few are available they are now $179 each or so. Interestingly there is at least one 3rd party making batteries for the Mavic 2. LK Top. See the picture below and note "brand". The second picture is of 2 DJI mfrd batteries.

1665516878878.png

1665516659730.png

As stated by someone else and confirmed by me, the Mavic 2 batteries are sold out in many places. The DJI store is sold out. And where the few are available they are now $179 each or so. Interestingly there is at least one 3rd party making batteries for the Mavic 2. LK Top. See the picture below and note "brand". The second picture is of 2 DJI mfrd batteries.

View attachment 155746

View attachment 155745
$5 more you can get one branded DJI. In Stock at the moment.

I see they are out at DJI but so are many other things at the moment that are new/current. I hope it didn't sound like I said you will always be able to get the batteries anytime you like. I wanted to say you can find batteries for a long time, generally. I'm waiting for the FPV Controller 2 to be in stock and that is a current item along with some ND filters. I'm not debating that things are difficult to get.

LK Top is the seller, these are DJI batteries. Read further down in the description and the answered questions.

I truly don't understand the purpose of the Mavic 3 Classic if the Air 3 is right around the corner. They are cannibalizing their our models. I don't agree with this strategy but what do I know!

Reactions: Panair
$5 more you can get one branded DJI. In Stock at the moment.

I see they are out at DJI but so are many other things at the moment that are new/current. I hope it didn't sound like I said you will always be able to get the batteries anytime you like. I wanted to say you can find batteries for a long time, generally. I'm waiting for the FPV Controller 2 to be in stock and that is a current item along with some ND filters. I'm not debating that things are difficult to get.
The thing is that the Mavic 2 is now, what, 5 years old? My unit is 2 years old and at this moment there is no need to replace it and I'm not sure that I will replace it for awhile. I like it a lot and at this moment the Mavic 3 doesn't give me enough extra to warrant spending so much money for what I'd need, which would include a DJI Pro controller. Maybe the Mavic Non-Pro 3 would be something of interest. But in the meantime, I don't want to risk not having replacement batteries available when I need them. I'll keep the new two in hibernation in the sealed box and down the road determine if I want to use them or sell them as unused. We'll see. DJI is always coming up with something new, though often unexpected. Had the Avata been out before I bought the Mini 3 I might have gone with the Avata instead. I don't know.
LK Top is the seller, these are DJI batteries. Read further down in the description and the answered questions.

Hey mods... What are the chances to update the forum so that multiple members can be quoted in the same reply?

Perhaps DJI would be the manufacturer which would make sense. But in the description where it says "brand" it states LK Top. So unless you didn't read further as I didn't you'd think it was a 3rd party battery.

None other than deleting the second one.

Edit… misunderstood question.

Last edited:
You mean like this?

I thought one already could quote multiple members in the same reply?
I have not been able to do it like that. If I click on a second quote it takes it to a separate reply. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

I have not been able to do it like that. If I click on a second quote it takes it to a separate reply. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
Hmmm... that's a puzzle. It's always worked for me, both here and on the Phantom forum.

Maybe it's your browser, or a setting? I use Firefox with all default settings, which do you use?

You mean like this?

I thought one already could quote multiple members in the same reply?
Yes and you can is good if you answer whatever you quoted .
Must be 😉

Unless Dji releases the SDK or put in waypoints, I doubt Mavic 2 owners will jump at this

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu