DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loosing Connection with controller

wc14

Reactions
Hi All,

New user on this forum. I have been using my Mavic 2 Pro for a while now to do surveying jobs and such, never had any issues. Started doing some jobs with golf courses. Fly last Friday at a golf courses and expereicened the same problem I experienced a month ago when I flew at the same course.

I am using MapPilot to conduct my flights.

The issue:

The drone will be fly perfectly fine and then all of a sudden the controller will vibrate indicating that it has lost connect with the drone. This will occur every so often when flying. A few times it happened when there was a tree in the way which might just mean the signal had issues going by the tree, but when the drone is directly overhead it will do the "lost connection, attempting to reconnect". After about 5 seconds the controller will reconnect with the drone. When the controller looses connection from the drone, the drone will continue to fly to the next waypoint and take photos like it is suppose too.

I am wondering if the lighting detection devises the course has might be causing the interference as this does not happen when flying quarries or corn fields. The lighting detector they us is called the StrikeGuard system.

I do use an iPad mounted onto the top of the controller to fly but I make sure that the antennas are up properly and facing towards the drone. When I tried with my phone attached it gave the same lost connection message.

The area on the course I was flying in was also in a valley, when flying over the driving range I had no issues and the driving range is on the top of the valley.

I hope this makes sense. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

The top of the antennas should NOT be pointing at the drone, they should be at an 90 degrees angle towards the drone for best connection. And it could be magnetic interference that causes your problems if it appears at the same spot.

Sorry for clarification, my antennas are at a 90 degree angle to the drone. Any idea on what would cause magnetic interference? I follow the tips in this video for antenna placement.

I had a similar experience with my Mavic pro last weekend. I was right at the edge of restricted airspace, the national seashore in MA. I had trouble connecting with the Mavic, disconnections while flying (outside of the restricted) just wanted to go straight up and down for s shot of the house we were staying in, even when the mavic was a couple of feet away, it would disconnect, no video feed, and acting very strangely, Needless to say, I just put it away. Not sure what was going on, when I returned home it flew fine.

I am having the same problem.
The drone is less than 100 feet away and I keep getting disconnections and or Go4 crashes.
Originally was happening with my Smart Controller and I thought that was the issue, but just tried standard controller with an iPadPro 10.5 and the issue is happening even more often.
Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this?

Desde la última actualización en lugares habituales de vuelo sin problemas (nunca antes había sucedido) ... He tenido problemas de interferencia entre mi RC y mi M2P ... a distancias muy cortas ... Espero que DJI sepa cómo resolverlo ...

Desde la última actualización en lugares habituales de vuelo sin problemas (nunca antes había sucedido) ... He tenido problemas de interferencia entre mi RC y mi M2P ... a distancias muy cortas ... Espero que DJI sepa cómo resolverlo ...
I have taken the liberty of translating nafisgal's post into English because it is very relevant and to hopefully to generate some replies.
"Since the last update in usual flight locations without problems (it had never happened before) ... I have had interference problems between my RC and my M2P ... over very short distances ... I hope DJI knows how to solve it .."

I found this thread while doing a search for a similar problem I'm having and not sure if its the same. Lately, I have been losing the connection between my phone (and app) and the controller. The screen goes grey and "connection lost" pops up. By wiggling the connection at the controller, I can regain my connection. So I switched over to using my tablet (and app) and connecting at the larger USB charging point. Now I am also losing the connection at this port as well.

Its seems unlikely that both ports are problematic/loose but in both cases I can regain the connection by shaking the wired connection around. I have had phones do this at their connection port as well to the point where they will no longer charge.

So my question is this a different problem from what @wc14 is describing here and what is the next option? Sorry if I'm hijacking this post with a different problem.

Are my charging ports becoming "loose" from use? I'm no longer confident with this way of flying safely esp in sensitive areas.

Is this common and what options do I have?

Thanks, Dan

I’ve noticed that I have less signal when the drone is facing the controller lately.

trying to do the point of interest quickshot is a nightmare. 9/10 fail from losing signal and initiating RTH.

Flying out any distance and then turning around means I lose signal (control and video) for 5-15 seconds EVERY time. RTH again.

I’ve noticed that I have less signal when the drone is facing the controller lately.

trying to do the point of interest quickshot is a nightmare. 9/10 fail from losing signal and initiating RTH.

Flying out any distance and then turning around means I lose signal (control and video) for 5-15 seconds EVERY time. RTH again.
What distance away are we talking about, for the POI?

I found this thread while doing a search for a similar problem I'm having and not sure if its the same. Lately, I have been losing the connection between my phone (and app) and the controller. The screen goes grey and "connection lost" pops up. By wiggling the connection at the controller, I can regain my connection. So I switched over to using my tablet (and app) and connecting at the larger USB charging point. Now I am also losing the connection at this port as well.

Its seems unlikely that both ports are problematic/loose but in both cases I can regain the connection by shaking the wired connection around. I have had phones do this at their connection port as well to the point where they will no longer charge.

So my question is this a different problem from what @wc14 is describing here and what is the next option? Sorry if I'm hijacking this post with a different problem.

Are my charging ports becoming "loose" from use? I'm no longer confident with this way of flying safely esp in sensitive areas.

Is this common and what options do I have?

Thanks, Dan
Have you tried replacing the cable?

Gadget guy, last try was 600m- which is a very close flight for me. If I’m more than 2000m away, I’m ok with a temporary glitch in video feed, but the issue I have is only a recent ‘feature’ (which coincides with a firmware update...)

Gadget guy, last try was 600m- which is a very close flight for me. If I’m more than 2000m away, I’m ok with a temporary glitch in video feed, but the issue I have is only a recent ‘feature’ (which coincides with a firmware update...)
That does sound too close for that type of glitch. Have you manually reset all of your prior custom settings, after the FW update, as the FW updates have a nasty habit of resetting everything back to factory defaults? That's where I would start.

I had a similar problem a long time ago and I ended up having to change tablets. The firmware updates, while some here praise them and say they never cause concern make me nervous, waiting it see if it improves my experience or just stuffs things up.

I’m still having lots of video feed glitches, but actual control isn’t affected. I flew back to back 8.5km (each way) flights yesterday. One to the west, one the south. Similar issues in both.

strangely, this time it was worse with the drone flying away from me.

annoying, but probably just sample variation in the transmission system manufacture.

I’m still having lots of video feed glitches, but actual control isn’t affected. I flew back to back 8.5km (each way) flights yesterday. One to the west, one the south. Similar issues in both.

strangely, this time it was worse with the drone flying away from me.

annoying, but probably just sample variation in the transmission system manufacture.
I never have any video glitches with Occusync 2.0 on my M2P and my M2Z out to 5 miles away, unless I fly behind a tall building. This shouldn't be happening.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest