DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loss of GPS satellites and disconnection of the mavic 2 pro at same time...

ea4eob

Reactions
The other day I almost lose my mavic 2 pro.
The day before I had a little problem with the initial reception of GPS satellites that with several restarts of the M2P was solved. The number of satellites in this place is usually more than 16 there is no obstacle in the area .

The next day I took off with 18 GPS satellites saving the takeoff point, and worked on my vertical because of the proximity to the sea and my previous day GPS problem.

As in the worst of my nightmares, when I climbed the M2P up to about 100m high above my position, the video signal and the connection to the RC were lost.
I lost all control over the M2P and began to move slowly towards the sea ... After about 30 seconds I saw that it was slowly descending, the RC maintain connecting...
At that time I turned off and on the RC and immediately connected and indicated landing ... but over the sea!
It could just to bring it back to the take-off point...

In the log you can see that once again taking control with the M2P, It didn't have GPS position (only 2-3 sats), in the last point before disonnection number of sats was 18...

This double problem of losing satellites and connection scares me much more than the problem of sporadic disconnections that I have had so far and I already worried a lot ...

There are no antennas that can interfere with the radio link and it has not moved more than 100m away from the RC.

What do you think about this bad experience I've had with the Mavic 2 Pro?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-12-29_[19-07-43].txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
The other day I almost lose my mavic 2 pro.
The day before I had a little problem with the initial reception of GPS satellites that with several restarts of the M2P was solved. The number of satellites in this place is usually more than 16 there is no obstacle in the area .

The next day I took off with 18 GPS satellites saving the takeoff point, and worked on my vertical because of the proximity to the sea and my previous day GPS problem.

As in the worst of my nightmares, when I climbed the M2P up to about 100m high above my position, the video signal and the connection to the RC were lost.
I lost all control over the M2P and began to move slowly towards the sea ... After about 30 seconds I saw that it was slowly descending, the RC maintain connecting...
At that time I turned off and on the RC and immediately connected and indicated landing ... but over the sea!
It could just to bring it back to the take-off point...

In the log you can see that once again taking control with the M2P, It didn't have GPS position (only 2-3 sats), in the last point before disonnection number of sats was 18...

This double problem of losing satellites and connection scares me much more than the problem of sporadic disconnections that I have had so far and I already worried a lot ...

There are no antennas that can interfere with the radio link and it has not moved more than 100m away from the RC.

What do you think about this bad experience I've had with the Mavic 2 Pro?

If you do not have a clear line of sight , its critical that you get those antennas placed at optimum levels and its easy to get side tracked with where they our pointing.

Just a thought.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain
Coal

If you do not have a clear line of sight , its critical that you get those antennas placed at optimum levels and its easy to get side tracked with where they our pointing.

Just a thought.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Completly 360º clear...

OP says he lifted to about 100 m above his own position. In that case (and only then) the antenna's need to be pointing forward, with the flat side towards the drone. In all other cases the antennas are pointing down and the RC is oriented towards the drone over yonder. A lot of people assume (in error) that the waves emanate from the points of the antennas. So this could explain the RC disconnect, but not the loss of satellites.

Reactions: Gindra
That is a bit strange. Can you retrieve the mobile device DAT file (FLY048.DAT) - that contains more data:

How to retrieve a mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

View attachment 89417
Many thanks for your response.

I attach the .DAT file from 29 Dic...

In the .DAT I can see a long horizontal distance during signal and GPS problems. Really the M2P was enerytime almos in my vertical, and when I lose the control the M2P goes in opposite direction than the .DAT Map Airdata visulization... to the sea...

Thanks in advance.

Rafa.

Attachments

• 19-12-29-07-06-39_FLY048.DAT
    256 bytes · Views: 2
  • 19-12-29-07-06-41_FLY048.DAT
    6.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Many thanks for your response.

I attach the .DAT file from 29 Dic...

In the .DAT I can see a long horizontal distance during signal and GPS problems. Really the M2P was enerytime almos in my vertical, and when I lose the control the M2P goes in opposite direction than the .DAT Map Airdata visulization... to the sea...

Thanks in advance.

Rafa.

I'm really not sure what to make of this one, and there is nothing definitive that I can see in the DAT file, but I suspect that the disconnect and the GPS issues may be separate. The disconnect may have been due simply to the position of the aircraft relative to the RC - it you did not move the antennas to horizontal then that can happen with the aircraft overhead. The GPS problem sounds like it could be a hardware issue - especially if you have been seeing it intermittently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS