DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Confidence on My Mavic 2 Pro

Kopriti

Reactions
After my recent water crash, I totally lost confidence on the mavic and the replacement has not been flown. a few months back, I was flying above water when suddenly the drone just fell out of the sky. at first DJI denied my claim and they wanted over $1500 to fix it. after several emails and them finally getting the flight logs etc, they admitted it was a hardware failure and they replaced the drone. they didn't give me a reason beside hardware failure. checked the logs and the only thing I found was a Battery deviation. I called my local DJI store and asked if they could check all my batteries, they told me that only if I bought them there they would perform a check. after this I am considering selling the mavic and move to another brand...Autel?
I'd like to hear what others think about this....

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-10-13_[12-27-34].txt
    294.4 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Drgnfli
Fly the replacement. Keep it close for a while to build up confidence in your M2P and yourself. The fact that DJI admitted fault means you did nothing wrong; you just got the one in a thousand lemon. If anything, it should reinforce in you the rule about not flying over people.

Fly the replacement. Keep it close for a while to build up confidence in your M2P and yourself. The fact that DJI admitted fault means you did nothing wrong; you just got the one in a thousand lemon. If anything, it should reinforce in you the rule about not flying over people.
Its good advice, many more of us flew them out of the box with no issues. And since the Black Friday discount is approaching on M2P’s- it’s not a good time to sell.

After my recent water crash, I totally lost confidence on the mavic and the replacement has not been flown. a few months back, I was flying above water when suddenly the drone just fell out of the sky. at first DJI denied my claim and they wanted over $1500 to fix it. after several emails and them finally getting the flight logs etc, they admitted it was a hardware failure and they replaced the drone. they didn't give me a reason beside hardware failure. checked the logs and the only thing I found was a Battery deviation. I called my local DJI store and asked if they could check all my batteries, they told me that only if I bought them there they would perform a check. after this I am considering selling the mavic and move to another brand...Autel?

I've read that after 60 or so flights, batteries should be assumed to be at risk of being unstable, and you need to charge your battery/batteries within 24 hours of your flight to avoid that battery sag that dropped your Mavic.

It's not a Mavic problem, it's just the nature of this type of battery. Go to the Autel forum and you'll see lots of people complaining about their batteries too, and how Autel won't just keep giving them brand new batteries forever.

Same thing with Parrot Anafis, they drop out of the sky all the time, because people are flying at top speed in Sport Mode on low charge, and not charging their batteries the night before, and not understanding that battery replacement is just a natural cost of flying drones.

I'm about to buy my first drone, and I'm getting the Mavic 2 because in my research, they're the most consistent and reliable.

You're really fortunate that they gave you a new drone, and now you have the knowledge to fly safely going forward. Just expect to buy a new battery next year, as a cost of flying safely.

Agree with above.

You can check battery cell voltage deviation in the go4 app. This would be one way to find a failing battery.

But batteries are consummables and should be replaced on a schedule. I'm not sure what that schedule is but it should be based on hours of use. (My opinion)

there is no guarantee that a battery will last for any set time ,it could have been faulty when it was made, could have been stored incorrectly before purchase by a consumer, could have been a cheap fake look alike, all we can do as users is to follow the recommendations of the producer, and follow best practice to make them last as long as possible by not abusing them during use, unfortunately as has been said many times before they do wear out over time it is the nature of the product

Last edited:
To all who have responded so far, I have been in the R/C hobby for 26 years... I fly mostly giant R/C planes, have some racing drones and use a lot of lipo's on a daily basis. the batteries got charged properly all the time and kept an eye for sings of wear, failure etc. I wish that DJI put something on their app that if the battery starts to fail during flight, that it would warn you and return home to land if necessary.
my main grief is that we as consumers have to rely on the app to check the batteries unlike other lipos that I am able to check individual cell voltages. also that BS that the store would only check my batteries if I bought them there? This is a DJI store!! not a third party!.... most likely I will fly the mavic, but I feel that they are starting to behave like apple.. my original mavic was fine and had plenty of flights without any issues, one day it had sensor calibration issues, after many attempts to calibrate I ended having to send it in. the diagnosis was Gymbal limp? and felt it was a bogus diagnostic and they told me I could use my DJI care refresh, wich I used because I needed a drone asap. that replacement drone is the one that crashed in the water after the 7th flight. felt that the drone was not like my original, crisp and fast response. I babied my mavic and took good care of the equipment.. I feel that DJI no longer care of quality but mass production and profits.
And thank you all for the input!

The txt log data for the battery were rather unusual at the end of that flight, which I pointed out at the time. I also suggested that the DAT file might contain useful data, but you neither provided that nor came back with any update on DJI's final determination. Are you now looking to re-open this analysis, or something else?

Reactions: Kopriti
Do you think it’s unreasonable that DJI might need the batteries to test? It is hard to know what your expectations are. The classifieds section might be a good place to start if your intention is to sell the replacement M2.

The txt log data for the battery were rather unusual at the end of that flight, which I pointed out at the time. I also suggested that the DAT file might contain useful data, but you neither provided that nor came back with any update on DJI's final determination. Are you now looking to re-open this analysis, or something else?
sar, there was no final determination besides hardware failure per DJI. no other info provided. as you stated, the battery deviated at the end of the flight. with that said, I asked DJI to test my batteries and all I got is a response that if not purchased at the store they wouldn't test them. now I lost confidence in flying like I used to, worrying that the drone might just fall out of the sky like it did previously...call it flying PTSD. that safety I felt before is gone.. I falsely believed that their smart batteries and system would be safe, and that is my fault.

Reactions: Cyclops2100
Do you think it’s unreasonable that DJI might need the batteries to test? It is hard to know what your expectations are. The classifieds section might be a good place to start if your intention is to sell the replacement M2.
and I asked them to test them, read the other posts. and if I consider to sell, there are multiple places besides this platform.. flyinggiants, rcuniverse, rcgroups among others. thanks for your reply.

and I asked them to test them, read the other posts. and if I consider to sell, there are multiple places besides this platform.. flyinggiants, rcuniverse, rcgroups among others. thanks for your reply.
I read your original post.

Good luck

Nothing wrong with my batteries after 70 flights. Not sure what you are saying. As long as you take care of them they last. Don't store them fully charged. I have never had issue with batteries or Mavic 2 Pro. Lot better Drone than Autel
I've read that after 60 or so flights, batteries should be assumed to be at risk of being unstable, and you need to charge your battery/batteries within 24 hours of your flight to avoid that battery sag that dropped your Mavic.

It's not a Mavic problem, it's just the nature of this type of battery. Go to the Autel forum and you'll see lots of people complaining about their batteries too, and how Autel won't just keep giving them brand new batteries forever.

Same thing with Parrot Anafis, they drop out of the sky all the time, because people are flying at top speed in Sport Mode on low charge, and not charging their batteries the night before, and not understanding that battery replacement is just a natural cost of flying drones.

I'm about to buy my first drone, and I'm getting the Mavic 2 because in my research, they're the most consistent and reliable.

You're really fortunate that they gave you a new drone, and now you have the knowledge to fly safely going forward. Just expect to buy a new battery next year, as a cost of flying safely.

You can check ea h cell in dji app
To all who have responded so far, I have been in the R/C hobby for 26 years... I fly mostly giant R/C planes, have some racing drones and use a lot of lipo's on a daily basis. the batteries got charged properly all the time and kept an eye for sings of wear, failure etc. I wish that DJI put something on their app that if the battery starts to fail during flight, that it would warn you and return home to land if necessary.
my main grief is that we as consumers have to rely on the app to check the batteries unlike other lipos that I am able to check individual cell voltages. also that BS that the store would only check my batteries if I bought them there? This is a DJI store!! not a third party!.... most likely I will fly the mavic, but I feel that they are starting to behave like apple.. my original mavic was fine and had plenty of flights without any issues, one day it had sensor calibration issues, after many attempts to calibrate I ended having to send it in. the diagnosis was Gymbal limp? and felt it was a bogus diagnostic and they told me I could use my DJI care refresh, wich I used because I needed a drone asap. that replacement drone is the one that crashed in the water after the 7th flight. felt that the drone was not like my original, crisp and fast response. I babied my mavic and took good care of the equipment.. I feel that DJI no longer care of quality but mass production and profits.
And thank you all for the input!

Nothing wrong with my batteries after 70 flights. Not sure what you are saying. As long as you take care of them they last. Don't store them fully charged. I have never had issue with batteries or Mavic 2 Pro. Lot better Drone than Autel

That's great for you.

But all batteries, including the lithium ones used in the mavic series degrade over time and use. They do not last forever. Yes, proper care will make them last longer but not indefinitely.

I think its unfortunate that DJI won't publish a service schedule for all parts of the flight system. I asked on their company forum and the thread was deleted. They should publish a recommended service life for all the parts- propellors, motors, batteries, etc. I would gladly replace parts at a recommended interval vs have one fail mid flight and lose the entire aircraft. Its not just dji, none of the other manufacturers provide this. But passenger aircraft do.

[/QUOTE]

The forum offers everything you need to know within just about 15 minutes of the vulnerabilities of your drone.

The Mavic 2 Series drones our exceptional in many ways and once you know and understand where they our vulnerable and you enhance those areas , the drone takes on super powers.

The only known issue with the Mavic 2 series is the Battery compartment, Battery Clips , and its vulnerability to Moisture and or swelling for various reasons. You also have loose props coming off .

This is why we designed and engineered the WET SUITS to take care of those vulnerabilities !
The Wet Suits enhance every facet of the Drone and allow you to much more confident in your flights.

Does not matter what drone you get , as there our going to be a weak links and they have to be acknowledged or you will fall prey to them sooner than latter.

Rather than buy another drone that has its own Set of Problems , be thankful that we know every weak link of this drone and fully reinforced them with a product that weighs 3.0 ounces

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear to fly you Mavic
We offer a special twilight package for all forum members
that has never been listed on the website .

Contact me at [email protected]
Coal

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.34.39 PM.png

Yes, that's ideal. Although DJI is implying that 30% is ideal for the Mini. Keep it middle ground as much as possible.

1 post says charge after flying, this post says don't store fully charged... So after flying charge up to 50% then store?
If your battery is 20-40% after flying, just leave it, and charge it within 24 hours of flying again. This isn't really important until after 60 charge cycles though, or even after 100 charges since DJI batteries are above average.

With old batteries, if the battery isn't charged within 24 hours of flying, the battery could die mid-flight or otherwise disappoint with performance.
This is why so many Parrot Anafis drop out of the sky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S