DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost connection on 500 meters altitude.

Venomvip

Reactions
Tried to get my bird 500 m altitude exactly above me to get nice shot. First it lost connection at arround 200 meters. Second flight it was perfect at 500 m and then completely lost video and controls until it descended at 380.
Is that supposed to act like that? Istn control and video range supposed to be much higher that?
It was smart remote controller on latest firware and secondary usual remote connected.
I can post flight logs If that is helpful to someone can give more info on that.

(Without asking what kind of airspace you were in, or even what country...)

When flying straight above, you need to have the antennas flat side facing up. Were you doing that?

Chris

Last edited:
Tried to get my bird 500 m altitude exactly above me to get nice shot. First it lost connection at arround 200 meters. Second flight it was perfect at 500 m and then completely lost video and controls until it descended at 380.
Is that supposed to act like that? Istn control and video range supposed to be much higher that?
It was smart remote controller on latest firware and secondary usual remote connected.
I can post flight logs If that is helpful to someone can give more info on that.
Post the logs. The answer to one question you pose is, yes the drone is limited to 500m altitude above TO point.
Were you flying w/in 500’ of a cliff, etc, or up a mountain slope? If not you may have been in violation of your country’s regs/laws... definitely if in the U.S.

As aside... wish folks would put at least the country of origin in their signature.

Reactions: JS1600 and Gindra
Well, just to cool down most of the responders... I'm not in US.
And we do not have law regulations to drones as of yet...

My question was if its supposed to loose connection like that at that low distance from controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Well, just to cool down most of the responders... I'm not in US.
And we do not have law regulations to drones as of yet...

My question was if its supposed to loose connection like that at that low distance from controller.

So if your not in the US, which country are you trying to get to 500ft.

Post logs as it's clear it's okay in the country you are in BUT it's pretty much the design of the antennas. Directly below the drone is effectively a blind spot. The Mavic mini will often cut out at 50m directly above your head. It doesn't matter how the antennas on the remote are but the ones in the drone won't see you. Fly out a few hundred meters then up.

Thank you a lot for one really good answer that addresses my question!!
Post logs as it's clear it's okay in the country you are in BUT it's pretty much the design of the antennas. Directly below the drone is effectively a blind spot. The Mavic mini will often cut out at 50m directly above your head. It doesn't matter how the antennas on the remote are but the ones in the drone won't see you. Fly out a few hundred meters then up.

Thank you a lot for one really good answer that addresses my question!!

Imagine you've got a donut and you slide it over your antenna. The signal is going wherever the donut stretches out. at the top/bottom you'll end up with a dead spot.

Your antennas would need to be horizontal so the signal goes up but the drone would be "looking" out rather than down at you.

The signal from a mavic’s antennae radiates outwards horizontally with the weakest signal vertically above and below the drone. So it’s easy to see why you had signal loss while the drone was flying directly above you.

Reactions: bumper and Venomvip
The Mavic's antennae are in the front legs and therefore are 'vertical' wires (a vertically polarised antenna). Reception is best when the antennae in the Mavic are parallel with the antennae on the RC controller. Think of it this way ... the RC controller antennae must look like a pair of 'lines' to the antennae on the Mavic, and vice versa and the two sets of 'lines' must be pointing in the same direction. Therefore, when you have the Mavic directly overhead, the antenna sets 'look like' a pair of points seeing a pair of points. It's effectively flying in a 'blind zone' where the signal is not going to be strong when it's received at the drone. Contrary to popular opinion, turning the RC controller antennae down flat in this scenario simply puts the transmitter and receiver 90 degrees out of phase (makes the controller horizontally polarised, and the Mavic vertically polarised) and does not help.

The Mavic's antennae are in the front legs and therefore are 'vertical' wires (a vertically polarised antenna). Reception is best when the antennae in the Mavic are parallel with the antennae on the RC controller. Think of it this way ... the RC controller antennae must look like a pair of 'lines' to the antennae on the Mavic, and vice versa and the two sets of 'lines' must be pointing in the same direction. Therefore, when you have the Mavic directly overhead, the antenna sets 'look like' a pair of points seeing a pair of points. It's effectively flying in a 'blind zone' where the signal is not going to be strong when it's received at the drone. Contrary to popular opinion, turning the RC controller antennae down flat in this scenario simply puts the transmitter and receiver 90 degrees out of phase (makes the controller horizontally polarised, and the Mavic vertically polarised) and does not help.
Seems the trick is not to stand directly below the drone. That’s how I manage it... get about 20’ back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada