DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost connection to drone, RTH didn’t work. Now drone is gone

MadsHogan

Reactions
Dear fellow drone enthusiast.

A few days ago I flew my sg906 pro 2. At approx 70m height and 300-400 meters distance it lost all connection. Both to my phone and the controller itself. I tried to have it return to home, but I didn’t work. I had 3 people search for it with me for 1.5 hours.

I’m curious to know if it could have followed the wind until it ran out of power, or if it would have stayed still until it ran out.

I used the HFun Pro app. I don’t know how to open the flight logs. Does any of you have any ideas.
Thank you!

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

A numerous of thing's could have happened with your drone after it disconnected ... but one thing that most probably didn't happen was that your drone "heard" your RTH command ... as you say that the RC was disconnected.

Unfortunately the knowledge base here are towards DJI drones & particular towards the Mavic series.

I would try this sister forum --> Drone Pilots Community which is a more general drone forum, perhaps somebody there can help you out.

Thank you for your answer Slup! I will try the sister forum.

Another detail from the flight is, when I lost the signal with the phone, I instantly clicked RTH. I could read from the small ‘analog’ screen on my controller that the drone was still flying further away and increasing in distance. After another 100 meters, that also appeared to lose its connection. I tried going after it by car but didn’t reconnect.

Thank you for your answer Slup! I will try the sister forum.

Another detail from the flight is, when I lost the signal with the phone, I instantly clicked RTH. I could read from the small ‘analog’ screen on my controller that the drone was still flying further away and increasing in distance. After another 100 meters, that also appeared to lose its connection. I tried going after it by car but didn’t reconnect.

I don't know anything about your aircraft or how it operates with loss of signal, but the DJI drones have a GPS fix and a barometer for altitude.

If it loses the GPS signal it will go into ATTI-MODE and drift with the wind at the current altitude unless the operator has control of the aircraft.

It may be possible to find your drone if you can get the weather information of that day, specifically wind direction and speed at the time of flight, along with the battery time remaining.

With Google maps to help plot a trajectory course, you just might find it. :)

See this as your opportunity to now buy yourself a proper, high quality DJI drone. You are wasting your time and money buying and trying to fly 2nd rate drones such as a sg906 or whatever it is called. Those type/brand of drones are just useless toys.
Mmmm. Yes, @MadsHogan maybe misposted in wrong area, but DJI in turn aren't perfect (eg. the number of MA flyways or crashes (as well as other kit in other forums) attests to this ?). Dismissing his SG906 as a useless toy is a tad harsh ? It serves (served) his needs, he's now lost it, just looking for a reason. For the record I've had Hubsans / PS3SE/ now an MA and a no-name SG103 which I fly in more adverse weather or locations - where the loss ? wouldn't be as painful as my MA with gazillion accessories / battery-packs ?. Horses for courses.....

Mmmm. Yes, @MadsHogan maybe misposted in wrong area, but DJI in turn aren't perfect (eg. the number of MA flyways or crashes (as well as other kit in other forums) attests to this ?). Dismissing his SG906 as a useless toy is a tad harsh ? It serves (served) his needs, he's now lost it, just looking for a reason. For the record I've had Hubsans / PS3SE/ now an MA and a no-name SG103 which I fly in more adverse weather or locations - where the loss ? wouldn't be as painful as my MA with gazillion accessories / battery-packs ?. Horses for courses.....
If it's not a DJI / nor Mavic - then they are on the wrong forum to begin with. Does not matter to me what people fly, but asking a question to a group that does not "typically" fly that brand / version of drone is outside the bounds of the group. Have seen admins delete posts for less.

Thank you all for your kind (somehow ?) replies. I tried looking for approx 1.5 kilometres in the wind direction without luck.
And as one posted, I am now looking to buy a better drone. I’m thinking about going with either the fimi x8 de 2020 or the dji Mavic air 2. You’d probably all talk in favour of the mavic, hence the forum.

Either way, thanks for all your comments!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots