DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost control, crashed, no RC connection and gimbal overloaded

maphoto

Reactions
Looking for some guidance... As I was flying my 3 week old Mavic Pro (on firmware 0400) the joysticks stopped working as if I had lost connection. I was in GPS mode and about 70 feet from the AC when it began to slowly lose position and hit a branch of a tree. It then played around in the trees for 15 seconds with still no feedback on the RC and eventually hit the ground. I called DJI, they said update to 0900 and so I did however the RC has not been updated because I can't connect it to the AC to update. So now I'm unable to connect to the RC but in WIFI mode I am able to connect to the AC. It states that gimbal is overloaded and tries to reset with the same issue occurring. DJI said send it in after trying to link RC several times. I have since reverted back to an older firmware in hopes of connecting to the RC.

I was hoping to use my Mavic this weekend so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Irregardless of updating the firmware, its sounding like your gimbal is "toast" probably from the crash.

I would agree with you typically but there is absolutely no visible damage and the ribbon connection is still okay. It also moves on its own and goes through all the motions without problem but then the notification comes up...

So you're able to connect to the Mavic via WIFI using a tablet/phone...correct?

So now I'm unable to connect to the RC

Im sure that you tried binding it again, but if not, try it.

Irregardless of updating the firmware, its sounding like your gimbal is "toast" probably from the crash.

I think Anthony is right, but the only way you can tell is by taking apart the gimbal and inspecting the ribbon cable under a magnifying glass.

So you're able to connect to the Mavic via WIFI using a tablet/phone...correct?
Correct, WIFI works, RC does not.

Im sure that you tried binding it again, but if not, try it.

I think Anthony is right, but the only way you can tell is by taking apart the gimbal and inspecting the ribbon cable under a magnifying glass.
How difficult would it be to take apart and not break anything else for a mechanically inclined guy? I have tried binding again with no luck. Yellow light flashes quickly on the back but the light near the SD card remains GREEN (not red???). Very strange...

Is this something DJI would fix on their dime due to the initial malfunction? If not, how much would DJI charge for the fix? I'm finding full gimbals for under $300 on ebay.

So if you're connecting to the Mavic via WIFI and you're receiving a "gimbal overload" error/message, then it doesn't matter whether or not you connect with RC. The message will still be there. With that said @Thunderdrones does repair these sort of issues.

Reactions: Former Member
As I was flying my 3 week old Mavic Pro (on firmware 0400) the joysticks stopped working as if I had lost connection. I was in GPS mode and about 70 feet from the AC when it began to slowly lose position and hit a branch of a tree.

Is this something DJI would fix on their dime due to the initial malfunction?

You have nothing to lose by sending it in to them and hope the warranty will cover it. It might just take 5-7 weeks to get it back.

If not, how much would DJI charge for the fix? I'm finding full gimbals for under $300 on ebay.

DJI will probably charge around $300 $500 since you have 2 unrelated problems; Gimbal motor overload, and loss of connectivity to the A/C.

I'm finding full gimbals for under $300 on ebay.

Replacing the gimbal wont solve the binding problem. Please take a look at this video and try to bind it again using both methods:

The first method is using DJI Go, the second manual method starts at 1m23s into the video.

So if you're connecting to the Mavic via WIFI and you're receiving a "gimbal overload" error/message, then it doesn't matter whether or not you connect with RC. The message will still be there. With that said @Thunderdrones does repair these sort of issues.
Good point...
You have nothing to lose by sending it in to them and hope the warranty will cover it. It might just take 5-7 weeks to get it back.
DJI will probably charge around $300 $500 since you have 2 unrelated problems; Gimbal motor overload, and loss of connectivity to the A/C.
I guess I will take my chances sending it off to DJI and hoping they cover some or all of it. I was hoping for a quick fix or way to test the issues on my own to diagnose the issue.

Replacing the gimbal wont solve the binding problem. Please take a look at this video and try to bind it again using both methods:

The first method is using DJI Go, the second manual method starts at 1m23s into the video.

First method: Everything is dandy until I get to the point where I have to press the button above the little LED. My LED is green while the one in the video is RED. Furthermore, when I press the linking RC button, nothing happens.

Second method: I get no beeping when holding the back two buttons and the record button.

First method: Everything is dandy until I get to the point where I have to press the button above the little LED. My LED is green while the one in the video is RED. Furthermore, when I press the linking RC button, nothing happens.

Second method: I get no beeping when holding the back two buttons and the record button.

Look at 1m42s again. Hold the C1, C2 and record buttons all together until you hear the beep. Then while still holding the 3 buttons, press the shutter button then you will start to hear the beeping. You can release the 4 buttons on the controller then press and hold the bind button on the Mav for a few seconds.

Look at 1m42s again. Hold the C1, C2 and record buttons all together until you hear the beep. Then while still holding the 3 buttons, press the shutter button then you will start to hear the beeping. You can release the 4 buttons on the controller then press and hold the bind button on the Mav for a few seconds.
Yes, I held the 3 buttons for about 60 seconds with no beep. Should I have held longer?

3 seconds is all it takes for the controller to start beeping if you are holding down the correct 3 buttons on the controller..
There are two buttons on the back of the controller and the top left button with the red circle on it are correct?

The controller does not beep when I press the "linking RC" on my connected phone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000