DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost control of drone!

JaysonFox

Reactions
Today I sadly lost my Mavic, not sure what happened it all happened so fast. I took off as normal and flew the mavic over water then about 15 seconds later the mavic picked up speed and flew straight and crashed into the cliff face then falling into the water below, I called out to my mate who was near by to grab it but he was to far away and it sunk to the bottom of the plunge pool, which is about 30m deep. I tried and tried to dive down but could not even see the bottom. I had to stop as it was becoming dangerous for myself to continue to try to dive under the water.

Why did my Mavic fly off so fast?
Why did the crash avoidance sensors not work?

What can I do now? I did take out dji care.

Today I sadly lost my Mavic, not sure what happened it all happened so fast. I took off as normal and flew the mavic over water then about 15 seconds later the mavic picked up speed and flew straight and crashed into the cliff face then falling into the water below, I called out to my mate who was near by to grab it but he was to far away and it sunk to the bottom of the plunge pool, which is about 30m deep. I tried and tried to dive down but could not even see the bottom. I had to stop as it was becoming dangerous for myself to continue to try to dive under the water.

Post the flight log.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Bummer. . . . .

Once you have the flight log info and contact DJI, recall even if worst case, you can buy just the drone no need for the rest of it since you still have the remote and everything else. ($750.00 US if I recall, DJI might offer a discount also)

Good luck!

Watched over the fight last night, the last two warnings where..
1. Maximum flight altitude reached, (but was only about 3m high)
2. GPS signal weak, (this is where it took off fast)

I'm on hoildays for the next 3 weeks so I can't connect to my DJI go app on the computer for the flight log. Can I get it off the phone?

If it did go into ATTI mode why didn't the let me know and why didn't the crash avoidance sensors work?

I'm on hoildays for the next 3 weeks so I can't connect to my DJI go app on the computer for the flight log. Can I get it off the phone?

If it did go into ATTI mode why didn't the let me know and why didn't the crash avoidance sensors work?

The files in question are on your mobile device, but you need to connect the device to a computer to access them, as described in the link above.

I'm not sure that the obstacle avoidance system works in ATTI mode.

The drone is faulty. Unfortunately dji doesn't give a s**t. I lost my Mavic and dji told me the sun was too bright! Funny since I had a ND16 filter on it when it went down. I have had to make a claim through PayPal since it was pretty new, I have the Refresh insurance, and dji will not help me.

The drone is faulty. Unfortunately dji doesn't give a s**t. I lost my Mavic and dji told me the sun was too bright! Funny since I had a ND16 filter on it when it went down. I have had to make a claim through PayPal since it was pretty new, I have the Refresh insurance, and dji will not help me.

The "sun was too bright" comment likely was related to the Vision Positioning System not the main camera, so the ND filter would not have come into play.

What exactly happened to your Mavic? And what exactly was DJI's response (beyond "the sun was too bright")?

Reactions: JamesA

I am sorry for your loss. I have read way too many instances of pilots loosing their Mavic when flying over water, especially at low altitude and 3 meters qualifies for that. It seems that the water reflections cause the sensors to go nuts.
I have disabled my downward sensors on my Mavic and will soon do the same with my P3P.
I wish you well in your endeavor to be compensated.

ND filter is for the camera. Not the obstacle avoidance sensors.

I am sorry for your loss. I have read way too many instances of pilots loosing their Mavic when flying over water, especially at low altitude and 3 meters qualifies for that. It seems that the water reflections cause the sensors to go nuts.
I have disabled my downward sensors on my Mavic and will soon do the same with my P3P.
I wish you well in your endeavor to be compensated.
This doesn’t help. Sensors and water isn’t the cause here. Loss of GPS and inability to control in ATTI mode is the most likely. I have yet to see a single dji crash that was even 50% proven via the DAT caused by the sensors over water. Every DAT I’ve seen ends up showing something else was the culprit. I have however seen crashes into water caused by disabling the downward VPS and ultrasonic altogether. The best course of action is to just disable landing protection.

Reactions: Neptunevideo
This doesn’t help. Sensors and water isn’t the cause here. Loss of GPS and inability to control in ATTI mode is the most likely. I have yet to see a single dji crash that was even 50% proven via the DAT caused by the sensors over water. Every DAT I’ve seen ends up showing something else was the culprit. I have however seen crashes into water caused by disabling the downward VPS and ultrasonic altogether. The best course of action is to just disable landing protection.

I disabled landing protection shortly after I got it this spring. I love being able to hand land it in areas that have uneven ground, mud, big rocks and/or dirt and sand than can cause problems with the motors, I also do a lot of flying over water and have never had a problem.

The "sun was too bright" comment likely was related to the Vision Positioning System not the main camera, so the ND filter would not have come into play.

What exactly happened to your Mavic? And what exactly was DJI's response (beyond "the sun was too bright")?
1. The aircraft responded to the pilot’s control well;

No it did not. If it did I would still have the drone!

2. T=06:12, H=104 m, D=800.6 m, RTH was triggered by the pilot via the remote; there was strong light affecting the performance of the vision system and the aircraft started to ascend to avoid the "obstacles" during RTH;
3. The pilot set 120 m as the max height, so the aircraft kept flying backward to avoid the obstacle when it reached 120 m;
4. T=12:25, H=119 m, D=871.3 m, battery=13%, Landing was triggered due to Critical Low Battery, and the record ended at T=15:00, H=1 m, D=870.6 m, battery=1%

According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.
It is most advised for you to search for the aircraft around the last recorded coordinate if condition permitted.
If you could not recover the product and consider to purchase another aircraft, we can try to especially apply for a 15% off coupon code which could be used on DJI online store for Mavic Pro without charger and remote:
Buy Mavic Pro Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger)
Please email me if you want the coupon code ready, for example: “I accept the offer”. And may I know when you place the order, do you want to ship the aircraft to the United States? Thanks a lot.

There are no obstacles at 120 m. They also said I could have put it in sport mode to change the direction. NOT possible when there is NO contact with the aircraft.

Fact is, they sold me a faulty drone. I paid the $79 to have it replaced, not repaired. They sent me the same faulty drone back and now it's gone.

To my experience the only reason for the Mavic for falling into Atti mode or getting confused like here is a misleading compass, as usually there are enough GPS/GLONASS satellites around for navigation.
So, simple question: did you calibrate your compass before at this location? Especially if last calibration was at the factory or at your home location which may be more than 100 miles away?
And in case of Atti mode obstacle avoidance will not work to my knowledge.

To my experience the only reason for the Mavic for falling into Atti mode or getting confused like here is a misleading compass, as usually there are enough GPS/GLONASS satellites around for navigation.
So, simple question: did you calibrate your compass before at this location? Especially if last calibration was at the factory or at your home location which may be more than 100 miles away?
And in case of Atti mode obstacle avoidance will not work to my knowledge.
That's not necessary unless it shows as needed in the app.

Reactions: KGinCA
That's not necessary unless it shows as needed in the app.

Everything was in order. Took off with a full battery and controller 100% charge (as always) but it disconnected from the craft leaving me helpless. I even got in my car and drove around to try and re-connect but it wouldn't. Instead of coming back, it stayed in the air until the battery died.

Everything was in order. Took off with a full battery and controller 100% charge (as always) but it disconnected from the craft leaving me helpless. I even got in my car and drove around to try and re-connect but it wouldn't. Instead of coming back, it stayed in the air until the battery died.
Did you quote the wrong person? I was responding to someone that was talking about calibrating compass when not needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803