DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost drone please help asap I’m on vacation at lake house and 5 hours from home

I of i do t find it today or tomorrow the snow will cover it up and I’ll never find it again. I was flying and hit return home. It suddenly took off from me and I could control. Lost all functions. I have the gps flight log but can’t find the drone. It says it finished -1.8m in height. ??? Here are the pictures. The pictures are after it took off due west. I think this last flight log is from hovering and basically landing. Battery is dead and can’t find it.

Attachments

• E4A54D5F-539D-49F2-A404-8B630F5CBBBA.png
    E4A54D5F-539D-49F2-A404-8B630F5CBBBA.png
    581.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 9A438A83-C803-4F39-9C96-6C3E359185AC.png
    9A438A83-C803-4F39-9C96-6C3E359185AC.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 603AF1BE-2EFB-4E72-AD8D-550D29027D5D.png
    603AF1BE-2EFB-4E72-AD8D-550D29027D5D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • 6A56B87C-B305-403C-A7F0-07620F7A919F.png
    6A56B87C-B305-403C-A7F0-07620F7A919F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
In that case just copy the URL for the log on airdata and post it here, just tried that with a log on my airdata and it appeared to work.

It says it finished -1.8m in height. ???
Altitude is always in relation to take off location.
Depending on terrain that might help to narrow landing spot location down some.

I assume you are using your phone to post here via a cellular network connection. if so can you connect the computer to the phone and use the phone as a modem or hotspot or whatever the relevant term is. I remember doing that with a laptop (USB cable connection to the phone) as an experiment though the phone was connected to the internet via wifi.

Just get the TXT file off the device (phone, other such) load it to phantomhelp, and upload the link here.

See section 3 for expedience . . .

I uploaded to airdata. So how do you guys see it here?
You need to post a link to the Airdata report for anyone else to be able to see it.
Until the data is available, there's not much help anyone can give you.

Whoa I found it !! Realized that after the gps stopped the speed and altitude was still changing. Based on the speed we calculated it to be out about 500 ft. So we walk out from the last gps ping and found it about 400’ out! Thanks for your help everyone.

Is there a gps tracker I can put on it in the event the battery dies ??

If you use Apple phone / device, in mobile (cell phone) range, are close enough or loads of phone users in an area (users both phone tower and other apple users location data), Apple Airtags are ok, cheap etc.
Much better, a Marco Polo drone tracker, google that.

I googled Marco Polo and they are out of stock

It could be there are production / supply issues, not sure.
With your link to Amazon, they are just a reseller, there are many others in the World that may have stock.

I googled buy marco polo drone tracker and got numerous hits, many let me put one in the shopping cart . . . not sure if that means they have them, best to check if really in stock when you find them like that online (many take the $ for products, then email to advise we'll have them in a month or whatever).

They seem to be around US$235.

It could be there are production / supply issues, not sure.
With your link to Amazon, they are just a reseller, there are many others in the World that may have stock.

I googled buy marco polo drone tracker and got numerous hits, many let me put one in the shopping cart . . . not sure if that means they have them, best to check if really in stock when you find them like that online (many take the $ for products, then email to advise we'll have them in a month or whatever).

They seem to be around US$235.

Thank you. What about Apple tracker ?

Thank you. What about Apple tracker ?

I have one on my car key 'bunch', works great for that if I leave them somewhere.

Here from Apple (about the only place we can get them, not sure about the US) they are AUD$45 single, or pack of 4 AUD$149, so buying 4 you get a decent deal, one ' and a bit' free.
Your $ is a lot lower of course, and the US might get better relative pricing too, best check with your local Apple store.

You can get all sorts of mounts, the rubbery ones seem to hold the tags well, urethane onto the drone, or each battery then swap the tag out for changes of batteries.

I guess if you know roughly where the drone went down (find my drone) and you get closer then use the 'find my' app on the i device, you've got a much better chance of locating it.

Even more so if you put a bright white led strobe on it, such as a Firehouse Technology ARCII or similar . . .

FHT ARCII STROBE

These stand out really well in vegetation etc, and at dusk or early darkness they would be really easy to spot through scrub / trees etc.

You can also use Trackimo or Tracki . I have used for 4 years

My Mavic Mini 2 was lost last spring and trackimo pointed to the exact point on top of a double chimminey cap . Trackimo locked in and held battery power for 50 hours until I had a roofer get it. I could never have found that lucky
the last low res image was in controller

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_2021-05-21_141421.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-21_141421.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 50
Whoa I found it !! Realized that after the gps stopped the speed and altitude was still changing. Based on the speed we calculated it to be out about 500 ft. So we walk out from the last gps ping and found it about 400’ out! Thanks for your help everyone.

Great you found it, usually ends much differently. The question is why did it fly off to begin with. If you post the link or flight record, I'm sure there are folks here who can probably figure it out. My suspicion is that you took off prior to a GPS lock, and your home point was recorded at some later location as you were flying, butwhoknows. It may be nice to know for future reference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s