DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Drone

andy nicolle

Reactions
Hi,

I don’t know where I stand with this. My drone lost signal Friday, forcing it to crash into a lake. I’ve spoken to DJI about this, uploaded all information they needed, for them to tell me sorry you need to buy a new drone. I’m really disappointed in their reply to sorting this out.

Hi,

I don’t know where I stand with this. My drone lost signal Friday, forcing it to crash into a lake. I’ve spoken to DJI about this, uploaded all information they needed, for them to tell me sorry you need to buy a new drone. I’m really disappointed in their reply to sorting this out.
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's not uncommon though. I have a friend who has a purchase history of 9 drones and one of his had a similar situation and DJI basically told him sorry but you're out of luck.

It's very disappointing that there is ZERO customer appreciation.

Hopefully it doesn't turn you off from the hobby

Hi,

Post the flight log here and have Sar104 or Meta4 review the log they can tell you if you can mount a case with DJI for a warranty claim.

Here are the directions to view the log file and post the link here for review.

It’s shocking to be honest that’s there’s not even a discussion about this, just out right NO you have to buy another one, not even at a reduced cost to buy a bare one.
Not happy

Losing signal doesn't force a drone to crash.
It initiates RTH and the drone flies home.
What actually happened is much more likely to be that the drone had a sudden loss of power and when the power goes off, signal is lost.

Last edited:
Losing signal doesn't force a drone to crash.
It initiates RTH and the drone flies home.
What actually happened is much more likely to be that the drone had a sudden loss of powerand when the power goes off, signal is lost.
Unless your loss off signal is set to land which I've never heard anyone setting it to that before.

Not sure what the use would be behind that to be honest - always curious though

Reactions: lannes
It's very disappointing that there is ZERO customer appreciation.
It’s shocking to be honest that’s there’s not even a discussion about this, just out right NO you have to buy another one, not even at a reduced cost to buy a bare one.
Not happy
Unless you can provide evidence of a DJI problem causing the incident, you cannot expect to replace a lost drone.
Supplying the evidence isn't possible because of where you chose to fly the drone.

Hi,

Dont be upset with DJI , they just dont have the time soothe and comfort like we do here in the US, They have a set rule, if you can get the drone its all roses , but if you cannot get the drone back its the Grave Yard.. There is no easy way of telling someone you have to buy a new drone .

This is why we stress about the Rescue Jackets when flying over the water , its like flying with a rose in your pocket. :( but I am sorry about this.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Float your drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Romulus Archibald
When I fly over water I attach with two rubber bands a sanded block of styrofoam to the top of the Mini.
It handles just fine in the wind, it handles maximum speed sideways flights, all I need now is some air to inflate my raft.

Hi,

You have not really said much about the actual circumstances for us to know what really happened.
DJI must be strict about this because while we have no idea what happened in your case, too many will just blame the drone.
You need to provide strong evidence as the exact details of what happened, and based on what you have posted it's unlikely you provided strong evidence to DJI.
And even when not trying to lie, in cases where we could compare the pilots initial report to the logs, people are amazingly unperceptive about what really happened.
If you can you might get better results.

Not happy
That's why i went with state farm insurance if it drops in the ocean or stolen its coverd they give you a check for purchase price

Reactions: Shashadoobie
Hi,

TBH. Iff you read the manual, it does mention all the scenarios where the drone can be affected by outside forces. One is flying over water.
I had an experience on Sunday evening. I launched from a dark grey, broken stone, area at the side of a Resevoir. I hovered at 10ft to allow the drone to visualise it's take off point. Then flew out over the water, which was also dark grey. After around 20yds I noticed the drone (mavic air 2), loosing height and it was obviously going to take a swim. I gave it full climb on the left stick and put it into a hover at 50ft. No more issues after that.
My conclusion was that a group of factors had occurred, all described in the manual, as to being able to cause abnormal flight.
I'm an experienced RC fixed wing pilot, so reacted immediately and without thinking. I'm in no way judging here, but flying over water is always going to be a risk and yes the Radio signal can be disrupted when flying over water. Sorry about your loss.

but flying over water is always going to be a risk and yes the Radio signal can be disrupted when flying over water.
Flying over water is just like flying over land, but with less obstacles and much less signal interference.
My experience from a lot of flying over water is that it's safer than flying over land.

Flying over water is just like flying over land, but with less obstacles and much less signal interference.
My experience from a lot of flying over water is that it's safer than flying over land.
It is described as a possible hazard in the manual. Flying over water is never safe. Any flight failure and your model is in the water, unless you have a float system, the drone is lost and your care refresh package( iff you have it, I don't) is worthless. My experience was the drone trying to land in the water, over land that wouldn't have been an issue.

Last edited:
Actually, my issue may have been due to not allowing for downward drift, when disabling the Visual positioning sensors. Although it was definitely making a determined steady descent, similar in speed to a controlled landing.

Hi,

I live on the east coast and this is why I never fly over open water.

It is described as a possible hazard in the manual. Flying over water is never safe.
Any flight failure and your model is in the water, unless you have a float system, the drone is lost.
I only have about 4000 miles flying over the ocean but in my limited experience, I'd say that it's safer flying where there are no obstacles.
It's certainly no less safe than flying over land.
As for recovery, in a lot of the places I fly on land, recovery also isn't possible.
But when the drone is up in the air, it doesn't matter to the drone what's below it.

I only have about 4000 miles flying over the ocean but in my limited experience, I'd say that it's safer flying where there are no obstacles.
It's certainly no less safe than flying over land.
As for recovery, in a lot of the places I fly on land, recovery also isn't possible.
But when the drone is up in the air, it doesn't matter to the drone what's below it.
As you say, 'you' have a lot of experience.
I was just offering advice, that flying over water is a big risk, you usually don't get your Drone back when things go wrong. This is what happened to the OP and they are trying to understand dji's response. Most autopsies I've seen done on here by people far more experienced than me, have concluded pilot error. May not be the case in this instance, but I accept the risks involved with flying over water. I am prepared to buy another Air 2 iff this one decides to have a bath. It will almost certainly be my fault and not dji's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Shamrok
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica