DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LOST MAVIC 2 ZOOM in San Francisco

iboTV

Reactions
hello,

Had my Mavic 2 zoom since Feb. My drone then begins to die an I attempt to bring it back. Before I could stop it from landing it landed in a very very big tree. Unfortunately I couldn't find it and had to leave. I heard of some forums helping people get there drones back. I know its a long shot but if can help please let me know.. Attached is the video. Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Hi, welcome! If you post the link to your flight log here (see below on how) somebody can pinpoint the near exact location for you, but you should be able to find the exact tree by what is shown on the video. There is probably a tree service in the bay area that you can pay to climb the tree to retrieve your bird.

I’m not going to say anything, but you’re going to get a lot of comments about the rest of the entire flight, it was.....interesting. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Madmax229 and iboTV
Hi, welcome! If you post the link to your flight log here (see below on how) somebody can pinpoint the near exact location for you, but you should be able to find the exact tree by what is shown on the video. There is probably a tree service in the bay area that you can pay to climb the tree to retrieve your bird.

I’m not going to say anything, but you’re going to get a lot of comments about the rest of the entire flight, it was.....interesting. Good luck!

Hello,

thank you for the advice. This happened Saturday. I was on vacation. and was forced to leave it. I have the flight records and think I pin pointed the tree now but im back in NJ.

Im using your idea for the tree services now. seeing who would work with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMann
Here is a different view of the same area using AirMap:
3837B592-D18D-4594-88FA-B38190F21059.png
Just wild speculation on my part, but I’m guessing you flew into a “no-fly zone”, so Your drone auto-landed.

Did you have your registration number on the drone, or anything else ( name and address on Sim Card) in case someone finds it and wants to return it to you?

Reactions: iboTV
View attachment 71781
Just wild speculation on my part, but I’m guessing you flew into a “no-fly zone”, so Your drone auto-landed.

Did you have your registration number on the drone, or anything else ( name and address on Sim Card) in case someone finds it and wants to return it to you?

THANK YOU - I had no contact information on it. I should've thought of that. :(

Reactions: Shon
View attachment 71781

It was the critical battery level- it autolanded.

Reactions: Madmax229 and Shon

No - it landed due to critically low battery at 12%. The flight started at only 42% battery.

Reactions: Bobvt and Shon
WOW thank you so much. everyone has been so helpful.

any ideas on the best way to retrieve it ? I've been trying to call tree services.

You might want to be a little careful how much you pursue trying to get it back - you were flying in the Golden Gate State Park, which is prohibited. If I remember correctly it's a $200 fine.

Hey @iboTV, try a pet rescue service too- their FAQ’s say they've rescued model planes, too.

http://www2.catinatreerescue.com/view/Directory_view.cfm?directory_id=448

Whoever you call, tell them it’s a pine and that it looks like there are branches all the way up from the ground, so it’s an easier climb and they would just have to rope up (I used to be a US Forest Service certified tree climber, but am not in NoCal).

Sorry you lost it, come back to the site and read a lot of the posts in the lost section and some of the other threads, there’s a lot to learn about flying drones here. Again, good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Madmax229 and iboTV
Since it is in the park, I might guess a tree service would be reluctant to climb any trees. $200 fine versus $1200+ drone? Tradeoffs.

Good luck

Let us all know the outcome please. Good Luck!

Yes - looks like it's about 60 ft up in that tree.

View attachment 71782

View attachment 71783
60 Feet, that would be a walk in the park (no pun intended) easy to get down. I have been able to get drones (and planes) down from 85 feet with a tree trimmers shot pole. The pole is no more than a over glorified sling shot on a 8 foot pole that's able to launch a one pound shot bag (up to 100 feet) using a nylon rope. They are sold on Amazon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus