DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic in Madrid, Spain

mrheston

Reactions
A couple of days ago I lost my Mavic Pro during a long-distance, high-altitude, idiotic flight. I felt encouraged by all the previous flawless flights, and I went too far away when the conditions were not good enough. At some point everything went south (I realized the wind was pushing it away too late, the battery was unpredictable, the video downlink went out for 4 minutes and the drone became unresponsive) and before I could think clearly I just completely lost the connection.

Here's the log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

It was auto-landing due to critical battery when I last heard from it, but I'm not sure how the wind (and momentum, because I was trying to bring it closer) may have affected the final landing area. Right after losing it I hiked to the last known coordinates and searched for a couple of hours, but the area is filled with small, dense bushes where the Mavic is extremely hard to see so I had to leave it there.

These are the last moments I was able to film (exported from the app) before I lost the connection for good:

I first tried to land it next to the chairlift wheel but then I changed my mind and tried to bring it closer... until a hill completely blocked the signal. Terrible decision making, but I was freaking out.

Anyway, I went back this morning to search for a few more hours, but again I had no luck. Before going back for a third and last time (I have to drive for a couple of hours and then hike a bit) I'd really appreciate if someone with more experience could help me analyzing what happened and maybe pinpointing a better search area. Should I continue searching around the last position?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-19_[11-38-26].txt
    947.9 KB · Views: 5
At the end of your flight log, your Mavic was traveling at 29 MPH (drifting with the wind) as it was auto landing. It was traveling towards the red line below.

Location1.jpg

Considering the altitude and speed, I'm estimating it would have landed around this yellow pin (located at 40.801461, -3.976797):

Location2.jpg

Try searching for it in that yellow box.

At the end of your flight log, your Mavic was traveling at 29 MPH (drifting with the wind) as it was auto landing. It was traveling towards the red line below.

View attachment 27124

Considering the altitude and speed, I'm estimating it would have landed around this yellow pin (located at 40.801461, -3.976797):

View attachment 27125

Try searching for it in that yellow box.

This is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much!

I went back this morning and spent a couple of hours searching around the suggested area, but unfortunately I didn't find it. The bushes are really dense so I might have been two feet away from it and still missed it –it's really frustrating. I will return tomorrow with a couple of friends to be able to search more efficiently, though.

Thanks again!

Reactions: vertrider

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder