DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Mini

MavicAusCC

Reactions
I recently lost my Mavic Mini (it lost connection and ditched in the sea) and sadly was unable to recover it.
It was only 6 months old and so now I have the rest of the "fly more package" (controller, bag, 2 spare batteries, prop guards, spare rotor blades/ battery charging box) and all original packaging- basically everything minus the drone .
Any ideas on the best way to sell these components to another enthusiast?
Also I loved my drone and would like to purchase another but am not interested in buying the same model as it shouldn't have lost connectivity which contributed to its loss. DJI said they would offer a discount to replace the drone only (at a cost of over AUD500) which seemed expensive since it is now available in a newer updated Mini 2 version so it is basically outdated.
Can anyone suggest the best replacement DJI drone as there seem to be multiple options and it is difficult to ascertain the differences?
I mostly was it for coastal/ seascape photography and so want one less affected by wind

I think for what you are doing, the mini / mini 2 can be a bit lightweight, and limit use for over sea flight / winds that normally accompany that.
Air 2 is much more able to handle stronger winds, or Air 2s if photos are more your thing, and the better camera is desirable.

You could hang onto your mini stuff, and as @Galeforce1 said, keep your eyes open for a 2nd hand drone, or a 2nd hand complete mini package to compliment your other bits and pieces.
It's a handy little drone for travel, especially if you can take advantage of most countries sub 250g rule for ease of overseas travel (if we see it again in the near future).

Mind you DJI offer AUD$500 isn't too bad for a new aircraft, much safer than 2nd hand unknown.

Gumtree does have a couple of basic packages 2nd hand for sale scrolling through . . .

It also shows components like controllers, so might help you pricing those bits you have if you decide to sell them.
Since you have a flymore package, it might be easy to sell the whole lot in one hit, as people might be looking for a couple of batteries, other bits and pieces, and have a spare controller.

but am not interested in buying the same model as it shouldn't have lost connectivity which contributed to its loss.
Losing connection doesn't cause the loss of a drone.
Normally it would just initiate RTH.
It's most likely that you lost the drone which brings up a lost connection on your screen.
No drone = no connection.

If you want to have someone check your flight data to see if it has any clues ...
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
Can anyone suggest the best replacement DJI drone as there seem to be multiple options and it is difficult to ascertain the differences?
I mostly was it for coastal/ seascape photography and so want one less affected by wind
Being the slowest of DJI's drones, the Mini was the least able to deal with wind.
It also used wifi for connection, rather than the much, much more advanced Occusync that other models use.
The model with the fastest speed is the one best able to habdle wind ... just check the specs to compare their speeds.

I am sorry that you lost the little chopper.....I bought a bunch of accessories for my mini 2 from a guy who had the same experience as you, so I am pretty sure there is a market for the stuff...I fly with a guy who has the Air 2S...if I were to upgrade ...that is what I would go for..it is a bit easier to see in the sky....and it maneuvers very nicely...and has a better camera

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. Hoe you had insurance or DJI refresh.

Sorry about your lost Mini. Not sure if the new Mini SE is available in Australia, but here in Canada it is cheaper than the original Mini. The SE FMC is being sold for CAN$479 which is a pretty good deal as it has the same level 5 rating as the Mini 2, uses the same batteries, and apparently has the stronger shell and motors of the Mini 2. It still uses the enhanced WiFi as the original Mini and the camera is the same.

Not sure if you can just buy the Mini SE drone without the FMC, at least here in Canada that doesn’t seem to be the case. It might be worth looking into to see if you can purchase the SE drone on eBay as long as it works with your existing controller - that would be the cheapest replacement option. If not the Air 2s as others have suggested is an attractive replacement.

Just some ideas.

Chris

I think for what you are doing, the mini / mini 2 can be a bit lightweight, and limit use for over sea flight / winds that normally accompany that.
Air 2 is much more able to handle stronger winds, or Air 2s if photos are more your thing, and the better camera is desirable.

You could hang onto your mini stuff, and as @Galeforce1 said, keep your eyes open for a 2nd hand drone, or a 2nd hand complete mini package to compliment your other bits and pieces.
It's a handy little drone for travel, especially if you can take advantage of most countries sub 250g rule for ease of overseas travel (if we see it again in the near future).

Mind you DJI offer AUD$500 isn't too bad for a new aircraft, much safer than 2nd hand unknown.

Gumtree does have a couple of basic packages 2nd hand for sale scrolling through . . .

It also shows components like controllers, so might help you pricing those bits you have if you decide to sell them.
Since you have a flymore package, it might be easy to sell the whole lot in one hit, as people might be looking for a couple of batteries, other bits and pieces, and have a spare controller.
Thank you, the 2S sounds like the way to go. I will try Gumtree for the rest of my mini kit

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Sorry about your lost Mini. Not sure if the new Mini SE is available in Australia, but here in Canada it is cheaper than the original Mini. The SE FMC is being sold for CAN$479 which is a pretty good deal as it has the same level 5 rating as the Mini 2, uses the same batteries, and apparently has the stronger shell and motors of the Mini 2. It still uses the enhanced WiFi as the original Mini and the camera is the same.

Not sure if you can just buy the Mini SE drone without the FMC, at least here in Canada that doesn’t seem to be the case. It might be worth looking into to see if you can purchase the SE drone on eBay as long as it works with your existing controller - that would be the cheapest replacement option. If not the Air 2s as others have suggested is an attractive replacement.

Just some ideas.

Chris
Yes, I have seen the new mini SE in recent days and it is offered without the fly more combo here so it may be n option if it uses the same batteries and controller- I will investigate, thanks for your time

I am sorry that you lost the little chopper.....I bought a bunch of accessories for my mini 2 from a guy who had the same experience as you, so I am pretty sure there is a market for the stuff...I fly with a guy who has the Air 2S...if I were to upgrade ...that is what I would go for..it is a bit easier to see in the sky....and it maneuvers very nicely...and has a better camera
Definitely the 2S sounds like the way to go, and a better camera is always a good thing!

Losing connection doesn't cause the loss of a drone.
Normally it would just initiate RTH.
It's most likely that you lost the drone which brings up a lost connection on your screen.
No drone = no connection.

If you want to have someone check your flight data to see if it has any clues ...
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Being the slowest of DJI's drones, the Mini was the least able to deal with wind.
It also used wifi for connection, rather than the much, much more advanced Occusync that other models use.
The model with the fastest speed is the one best able to habdle wind ... just check the specs to compare their speeds.
Thanks Meta 4.
I know that there were other factors involved in the loss as a strong wind came around a headland at the same time- I did forward the flight logs to DJI and have a full investigation done. I detailed the exact timeframe for the DJI staff.
It was unable to initiate the RTH function event though it was just 200 m away and had a clear unobstructed path back. It still had 10% battery power but manoeuvred in the opposite direction then lost contact with the controller- so I guess the wi-fi failed .
I had an enormous amount of fun and enjoyment out of it in the time I owned it and was very impressed with its performance (other than a bible issue that was happening more frequently right before its loss) and it was certainly a lesson learned when I lost it.
I think for what I am after and the use intended the 2S seems to be the best option as suggested by those above.
Thank you for your advice and time

I did forward the flight logs to DJI and have a full investigation done. I detailed the exact timeframe for the DJI staff.
DJI will take time and are not good at giving explanations.
If you post your flight data here, you can often get a better explanation in 10 mins.
It was unable to initiate the RTH function event though it was just 200 m away and had a clear unobstructed path back. It still had 10% battery power but manoeuvred in the opposite direction then lost contact with the controller- so I guess the wi-fi failed
There's no point guessing when there are a number of possibilities and the recorded flight data will indicate what actually happened.

I just bought the MM2 from Amazon for $375.00 with the starter package. Brand new, just have to search the net for good deals.

DJI will take time and are not good at giving explanations.
If you post your flight data here, you can often get a better explanation in 10 mins.

There's no point guessing when there are a number of possibilities and the recorded flight data will indicate what actually happened.
@MavicAusCC It is not necessarily in DJI's best interest to be expedient when they get something like this....there are a couple of people on here who will really surprise you with how they can conduct a forensic investigation based on your flight log...and tell you every command and error message and more during your flight

I recently lost my Mavic Mini (it lost connection and ditched in the sea) and sadly was unable to recover it.
It was only 6 months old and so now I have the rest of the "fly more package" (controller, bag, 2 spare batteries, prop guards, spare rotor blades/ battery charging box) and all original packaging- basically everything minus the drone .
Any ideas on the best way to sell these components to another enthusiast?
Also I loved my drone and would like to purchase another but am not interested in buying the same model as it shouldn't have lost connectivity which contributed to its loss. DJI said they would offer a discount to replace the drone only (at a cost of over AUD500) which seemed expensive since it is now available in a newer updated Mini 2 version so it is basically outdated.
Hello

Have you listed your "leftovers" on Gumtree - I might be interested depending upon price

Yes, I have seen the new mini SE in recent days and it is offered without the fly more combo here so it may be n option if it uses the same batteries and controller- I will investigate, thanks for your time
I just bought a new mini SE for under $400 in Australia. It uses the Lipo battery out of the Mini 2, and also the motors from the mini 2, so handles the wind much better than the Mini. Another plus is that you can use your Mini batteries in the SE, and the difference is hardly noticeable.... maybe slighty shorter flight times, but speed is pretty much the same ..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000