DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

lost mavic pro

North40

Reactions
drone got disconnected in flight.unable to reconnect.
I have last known gps from the flight data,but when i try to enable indicator and sound alert,it just shows in blue letters surrounded by blue box.and suggestions?

but if i could swith on the sound,may locate it
The battery is most definitely dead by now, so the flight log is going to be your best option. Take a look at it once you're able to get to a location where you have iTunes installed.

sorry,unable to upload from my ipad to this thread.
the flight log shows last known gps,as well as google earth,but was as 500 mtrs and suddenly disconnected.I know roughly where it is but if i could swith on the sound,may locate it
The last known position is just that.
Unless the Mavic was on the ground when it was last recorded, it won't be where the drone is now.
Your Mavic is programmed to return to home when it loses signal (unless you disable the default setting, which no-one does).
If yours did not come home, there are other factors to be considered, possibly obstacles on the RTH path or strong winds.

The recorded flight data is going to be needed to find out more, and a little more explanation of what happened would be helpful.

Last edited:
Exactly ^

The flight log will provide last known position and other indicators as to where the Mavic may be located. These factors are used along with wind speed, drift, etc to extrapolate the best search area to search in order to recover it.

Reactions: flyoway
How did a lost connection not result in activation of a return-to-home function? Assuming RTH parameters were properly configured (which I have to assume were NOT at this point). The rest of the story, please.

How did a lost connection not result in activation of a return-to-home function? Assuming RTH parameters were properly configured (which I have to assume were NOT at this point). The rest of the story, please.

The dji program had been removed from my ipad,and reloaded just prior to flight.Everything worked well earlier in the day.Just at dark,I sent it straight up from driveway to 500 mtrs.Flight time was about 5 minutes and suddenly response was something like "connecting"
totally lost all connections and wouldnt reconnect.Watched for it to return but no luck.

500mtrs straight up broke guidelines on altitude in a lot of countries. I’d bet that you had no idea of wind speeds at that height and I’d guess that it lost signal due to incorrect antenna orientation then got blown away when RTH settings couldn’t cope with the wind speed. As the Mavic is limited in software to 400ft you knew enough to hack the software but not enough to keep your drone.
We need the flight logs!!

The dji program had been removed from my ipad,and reloaded just prior to flight.Everything worked well earlier in the day.Just at dark,I sent it straight up from driveway to 500 mtrs.Flight time was about 5 minutes and suddenly response was something like "connecting"
totally lost all connections and wouldnt reconnect.Watched for it to return but no luck.
If you want to find out what happened and learn from the experience and be able to avoid similar occurrences:
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

500mtrs straight up broke guidelines on altitude in a lot of countries. I’d bet that you had no idea of wind speeds at that height and I’d guess that it lost signal due to incorrect antenna orientation then got blown away when RTH settings couldn’t cope with the wind speed. As the Mavic is limited in software to 400ft you knew enough to hack the software but not enough to keep your drone.
We need the flight logs!!
He did not hack anything you can change the height in the to 500 meters you just have to click a box saying you take the blame.. but still i agree with your response

Reactions: m0j0
Wow. 1600 ft. straight up. Then it hits high winds, without a chance of making a successful RTH. Hard to imagine that scenario happening, right?

Reactions: Drgnfli
~400 meters (1,312 feet) in the dark for ~5 minutes? As I write this, in my location (Texas, USA), winds at 100' is 13 (gusting to 26) mph at 1,500 it is 25 mph (gusting to 47)...

Bad, bad PIC; I agree - no more drones for you.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
This is so believable. DJI have been adding in extras to drones so it gets to the point where they are considered fool proof. You can also get insurance so anything you do will be the responsibility of the insurer.

I built drones for years and they had none of the bells and whistles. When i took my drone up to 10 metres I did it only under little or no wind. In ATTI mode things can happen very quickly if there is wind.

Innovation by DJI was always going to be a two edged sword. On one side it means I am more confident to go up to 100m but on the other side it means that ANYONE has the confidence to fly without learning to fly and to not have to accept the consequences.

I would NEVER fly to 500m and certainly not at night. Anyone can fly high or at very long distances (my first flight and I flew 7 miles ... seen it so many times) but if you consider that you have to get this drone back at the end of the flight and without using RTH then you are clearly flying beyond your abilities.

This sort of flight will bring about more controls and if these controls stop people like you from flying at all then all the good for the rest of us.

Sorry, that may have been harsh and you had the guts to post on this forum so at least you deserve some respect for that.

If you took off at night there is a danger that your RTH point was not recorded.
If a RTH is initiated and your drone is 5m away from the RECORDED RTH point then it will just descend.
On my Mavic Air the last time I checked then within 100m a RTH command or forced RTH will cause it to descend immediately (RTH does NOT work).

I would imagine that your RTH point was not recorded and therefore when there was a disconnect then it just descended.

Buy a Tello. Learn how to fly in your house and in the garden, read the MP manual and only then are you ready to fly.

If you took off at night there is a danger that your RTH point was not recorded.
How do you figure that?
The GPS sats stay up in the sky even when the stars come out.
On my Mavic Air the last time I checked then within 100m a RTH command or forced RTH will cause it to descend immediately (RTH does NOT work).
Either that's a typo or you need to check again.
This is what your manual says:
Smart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH follow this procedure:
1. The aircraft adjusts its orientation.
2. a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point it ascends to the pre-set RTH attitude and then flies to the Home Point.
b. If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point it flies to the Home Point at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2.5 m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2.5 m and then flies to the Home Point.
c. If the aircraft is less than 5 m from the Home Point it lands immediately.
3. The aircraft lands and stops its motors once it reaches the Home Point.

I would imagine that your RTH point was not recorded and therefore when there was a disconnect then it just descended.
If he launched before recording a home point, the Mavic would record a home point when it got a GPS location fix, and that would have been very shortly after launching.

How do you figure that?
The GPS sats stay up in the sky even when the stars come out.

Either that's a typo or you need to check again.
This is what your manual says:
Smart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH follow this procedure:
1. The aircraft adjusts its orientation.
2. a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point it ascends to the pre-set RTH attitude and then flies to the Home Point.
b. If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point it flies to the Home Point at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2.5 m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2.5 m and then flies to the Home Point.
c. If the aircraft is less than 5 m from the Home Point it lands immediately.
3. The aircraft lands and stops its motors once it reaches the Home Point.

If he launched before recording a home point, the Mavic would record a home point when it got a GPS location fix, and that would have been very shortly after launching.

If you take off without recording a home point then you will not return to where you expect if you are disconnected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada