DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic RETURNED by LOCKHEED/MARTIN SECURITY

Jim Flannery K0UNX

de K0UNX, Jim in Jefferson County, Colorado
Premium Pilot
Reactions
On 9 January, I lost communication with my Mavic Pro about ¾ mile north of the Lockheed/Martin Defense Plant in Jefferson County Colorado. My RTH HEIGHT was not sufficient to clear a ridge, so the drone gently hovered in place for 10 minutes before landing and shutting off.

Luckily, I was using the iOS "screen recording" feature, and knew exactly where the drone was, AND had the last frame of the video before it lost communication.

I contacted Lockheed/Martin Security by e-mail, giving them the exact location and last picture. Where the Mavic set down was NOT on their property, but could only be accessed by going THROUGH their property. I was very careful to make a very polite request for access to the area.

A week later, after two days of freezing rain and then two inches of snow, L/M Security phoned me to say that they had recovered my drone, and that I could pick it up at the security office at their main gate.

I am happy to report that the Mavic was returned in EXCELLENT condition, and was able to fly as soon as I popped in a fresh battery. The freezing rain and snow did no damage.

For those unfamiliar with Lockheed/Martin, they are a defense contractor that builds most of America's satellite systems, including spy satellites. Security is VERY TIGHT there. Cameras and cell phones are not permitted anywhere on their property. But by being very polite and very well documented, they went out of their way to find and return my Mavic.

Many thanks to LOCKHEED/MARTIN SECURITY!
Jim Flannery
K0UNX
Jefferson County, Colorado

Lockheed Martin does more than that, and requires government security clearance to even work in some areas of it.

Reactions: vanim8
That's great news, glad to hear.

As tight as security is at LM, I think Jefferson County open space security is even tighter ;). Hard to fly around there.

You launch from deer creek canyon, guessing one of the little pull offs or more near the rocks by the Jefferson open space? Just curious as I fly near there and always looking for more and better launch points.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent