DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost mini 2

Rhysg412

Reactions
Hi there,

I recently lost my mini 2 it was a flyaway case.

I have recently been contacted by dji support telling me someone is trying to unbind it from my account.

I told them I'm not willing to do that and want the contact information of who has tried to do this.

Long story short they won't give me this information and now I'm stuck.

Is there any suggestions anyone can give me for sorting this out?

Thanks in advance

What country are you in and where and when did you lose the drone. It's a slim chance but the finder might be on here, ditto other forums.
Did you post your flight log for the flight in an attempt to find out the reason for the flyaway?

Since you say recent, could you involve the police? In many countries the finder is supposed to make efforts to locate the original owner....could the police officially ask DJI for this person's contact details etc. etc..
Personally I suspect the police will not get involved.

Other than the above I doubt there is anything, that is cost effective, that you can do.

With that said, stick to your guns and do not unbind !!!! leave the finder with having found a brick.
I would also watch the online market places for second hand drones. I have seen a few "found" drones advertised on ebay but if you suspect yours appears in such a market place exercise caution if you approach them.

That said it is pleasing that "binding" seems to be causing the finder problems and that DJI have contacted you regarding the drone.

Reactions: Pile and YVRGUY
Thanks for the reply!

I live in the UK, I lost it on 7th April 2022 in a town called redditch in the Midlands.

I doubt very much the police will do anything. I have been on support to dji the last couple of hours and they have said although they can't give me the information of who has tried to unbind it they are going to email them and tell them it's a lost/stolen drone and there is nothing they can do as dji don't have authorisation to unbind it.

I had already come to terms that I wasn't going to get it back but it's a bit annoying that someone has found it and not even posted in the local Facebook groups etc..

Or at least gone back to dji and said you know what I can't use it so contact the owner telling him I've found it.

Quite satisfying knowing he can't do a thing with it though!

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I recently lost my mini 2 it was a flyaway case.
There might be nothing you can do about the drone now, but you could learn from the episode and find out what actually happened and how to avoid having a similar incident in future.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Reactions: maggior
If they are trying to unbind it, can you do a "find my drone" and try to zero in on the location?

On a side note, I think what dismays me a lot is that when people find things that they know are valuable and belong to others too many don't have the character to try to find the owner, and instead try to take possession and ownership of things they know don't belong to them. It almost seems like a surprise when someone finds a wallet, a drone, a piece of jewelry and makes an honest attempt to return it, not seeking any kind of reward or restitution. If the drone or pilot is registered that shouldn't be that difficult. If they called DJI to report their finding I'm sure DJI would try to reunite drone and pilot. It would only take a phone call. How do we bring back honor to America (and the world?).

If they are trying to unbind it, can you do a "find my drone" and try to zero in on the location?
No he can't.
FMD can only tell where the drone was the last time it had contact with the app and controller.
There's no way his app has any idea what has happened once contact has been lost.

It could also be a case of someone finding it and then selling it to someone else that is now trying to get DJI to get it unbound thinking that the seller still had it bound to his account.

No he can't.
FMD can only tell where the drone was the last time it had contact with the app and controller.
There's no way his app has any idea what has happened once contact has been lost.
I see. Too bad it doesn't have a features like iPhone/iPad's "Find my phone" where it updates locations and you can even "brick" your phone if you suspect someone is trying to hack it into reuse by others. I suppose we expect fly-aways to land and be stationary. But when humans intervene is seems that lost is lost.

Too bad it doesn't have a features like iPhone/iPad's "Find my phone" where it updates locations and you can even "brick" your phone if you suspect someone is trying to hack it into reuse by others.
The drone has no way to communicate with DJI or anything except through a DJI controller, so there's no way for that sort of thing to work.

I think the guy who has found it is just saying that he bought it to cover his ***.

I've searched all sold items on eBay and Facebook. He said he bought it off ebay but I can't see anything.

He's probably the sort of person that will just throw it in the bin now just to spite someone instead of just thinking you know what I can't use it I'll just return it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+