DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mini, signal interference no return to home

SteCee

Reactions
Hi all,

Hope everyone is safe and flying where possible in the world.

I'm looking for some assistance if possible. I Posted previously regarding a DJI mini which lost connection following interference and failed to return to home. I have since managed to obtain the logs and have attached for viewing which was prevously advised.

The mini had 19% battery on signal loss and when i used find my drone it was no where near the location shown, all surrounding areas where checked over serval days without luck of finding.

The forecast for the flight was good but I now assume the additional blade protectors added extra payload and caught the wind as the RTH was activated.

I see there are many experienced users here with knowledge of reading trajectories, would someone mind having a look and offer some help please.

It's been a few long cold days looking without luck but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

If any further information is required please let me know.

Much appreciated
Stephen

Last edited:
Given that the attachment is a zipped folder I am wondering if this is a download from Phantomhelp? If so can you post the URL for the log on there, it might save them a bit of bandwidth?

Do you have the DAT file for the flight, it should have a name like 2020-12-25_hh-mm-ss_FLY011.DAT and if it exists should be in the MCDatFlightRecords folder which is in the folder where you presumably found the .txt flightlog

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks PhiliusFoggg,

I was asked previously to upload the log, I thought this was it. Still learning so unsure what i should be adding or where to find the required info.

Thanks
Stephen

I was asked previously to upload the log, I thought this was it. Still learning so unsure what i should be adding or where to find the required info.
What you posted is just fine.
I'm working on it now.

Thanks Meta4,

PhiliusFoggg, from the back of Nelson (signal loss) up to Braid House trying to follow path alignment?

A large area to cover but nothing to be found.

Did you look in the trees where Labrador Ave is a T junction? Did the wind stay fairly constant for a few minutes after the loss of signal?

The mini had 19% battery on signal loss and when i used find my drone it was no where near the location shown, all surrounding areas where checked over several days without luck of finding.
Your flight data looks like this:

The reason why the drone was nowhere near the point where signal was lost, was because at the time the drone was 39 metres up in the air and being blown to the northeast at 0.2-0.5 metres/sec.
It was attempting to hold position but the force of the wind on the drone (and any extra attached equipment) was more than it could fight, even when pitching close to 30°.

On losing signal RTH will have initiated and the drone would have climbed to the RTH height you had set (60 metres), where the wind would have been even stronger.

The Mini would have been blown further backwards, but unfortunately we have no indication of how fast.
The battery was down to 19% and burning at approximately 8 sec/percent.
With the unknowns, it's not possible to calculate a likely distance it would have drifted before autolanding.
But a rough estimate is something like 125-300 metres further to the northeast.

Yes, checked this area also, the trees are bare with no leaves.

I will check again tomorrow and i do thank you massively for your time Meta4 and PhiliusFoggg.?

If i find it I'll let you know but somehow I think it's gone for good. ?

Thanks again for your time

Stephen

My mini went into a low tree maybe 30ft from me, I could see the ground via the camera and work out what it was seeing but I could not spot the drone.
The only way I could find the darn thing was to put the end of a brush shaft in the camera's field of view and then using the screen move the brush shaft towards the camera. It was 2ft above my head and hidden in the fork of a branch.
They are crafty beep beeps at hiding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada