DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost signal panic

Rerschik

Reactions
What happens when you get the warning that the drone has lost signal and to adjust the antennas? I was able to move around until the signal came back but what if I couldn’t? Would the drone Return to Home on its own?

It would start the process, typically as it starts to climb you might hope to regain control.
Hopefully you already looked at the app section where you can set what it does if the signal is lost.
In some tight situation e.g. under trees you wouldn't want it to shoot up 200 feet but to hover.
Consider possible obstacles, 200 feet might not be high enough. It will try to come back in a direct line, in theory obstacle avoidance will kick in and it should try to go round or above solid objects but thin branches or cables it won't see.

What happens when you get the warning that the drone has lost signal and to adjust the antennas? I was able to move around until the signal came back but what if I couldn’t? Would the drone Return to Home on its own?

Manual, page 17:

Failsafe RTH
The Forward Vision System allows the aircraft to create a real-time map of its flight route as it flies.
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH
automatically activates after the remote control signal is lost for more than two seconds.

When Failsafe RTH is activated, the aircraft starts to retrace its original flight route home. If the remote
control signal is re-established within 60 seconds of Failsafe RTH being activated, the aircraft hovers at
its present location for 10 seconds and waits for pilot commands. The user may tap in the DJI GO 4
or press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel Failsafe RTH and retake control.

If no pilot command is given, the aircraft flies to the Home Point in a straight line. If the remote control signal is still
lost 60 seconds after activating Failsafe RTH, the aircraft stops retracing its original flight route and flies
to Home Point in a straight line.

Reactions: Neil Reid
The 60 second retrace only applies to M2 and possibly MA. OP didn't specify his model and posted on a general area rather than for a specific model.

RTH OA also applies if applicable for one's model and settings.

Lost the signal to my MP today but was fortunate in that by pointing my controller antenna's more directly at the drone, the signal was reacquired. It will RTH though but as other posters have indicated, the RTH may or may not be beneficial and you may wish it to hover.

Glad you recovered it; it's clear to me from your post, my experience, and the experience of others that flying a drone is not without risk; at some point you're either nearly going to lose it, lose it outright, or crash it. It's part of the sport unfortunately, even if you're conservative.

Good luck and continued success in your flying and thanks for sharing your experience.

What happens when you get the warning that the drone has lost signal and to adjust the antennas? I was able to move around until the signal came back but what if I couldn’t?
Would the drone Return to Home on its own?
You need to do two things:
1. Revise the RTH section of the manual so you know how it is programmed to act on loss of signal and what you can expect.
2. Go to a large, open area free of trees etc and test Loss of Signal for yourself.
Fly out 100 feet and switch the controller off and observe what follows.
It's a lot better to know for sure what happens rather than wondering, and will give you a lot more confidence.

Reactions: PAW
You need to do two things:
1. Revise the RTH section of the manual so you know how it is programmed to act on loss of signal and what you can expect.
2. Go to a large, open area free of trees etc and test Loss of Signal for yourself.
Fly out 100 feet and switch the controller off and observe what follows.
It's a lot better to know for sure what happens rather than wondering, and will give you a lot more confidence.
I assume you meant review the manual.

I would go further than 100', since RTH has different behavior at closer distances.
But then, try out the alternate RTH behavior at closer distances.

I assume you meant review the manual.
Well I did say: Revise the RTH section of the manual ??
I would go further than 100', since RTH has different behavior at closer distances.
But then, try out the alternate RTH behavior at closer distances.
100 feet is plenty of distance to study RTH on loss of signal while keeping the drone within sight.
The closer distances you mention are <66 feet.
I didn't mention RTH behaviour with lesser distances because the topic of the thread was loss of signal, which isn't a big deal at close distances.
However, anyone doing their homework on the RTH section of the manual would read about RTH at close distances.

Since the last update of Dji Go 4 (... 0510), signal losses, even at close range ... are a clamor in the network ...
Especially Mavic users (I pilot an M2P). Both on Facebook, YouTube, etc ... has been commenting since the date of departure of the update, by those of us who have made "guinea pig" (try without knowing what there is) ...
Do you have a solution? Yes
In Spain, Europe and some other countries (it is completely legal) ...
It has been offered by HATTU:
Minute 9:15 (you can use the translator)
Everything is based on changing the transmission frequency to 5.8 Ghz ..
And yes ... in this also DJI has covered Gloria ... Anyway.
The frequency change is something that Dji Go 4 itself allows you to perform from its interface .. without any problem ... and with a single click ...
I am also used as a pilot to check the signal quality ...
I hope they quickly solve this fudge ...

Attachments

• 2019-10-21 19_47_56-PROBLEMA DE DESCONEXIÒN MAVIC 2 DESPUÉS DE ACTUALIZACIÓN 0510 en ESPAÑOL -...png
    2019-10-21 19_47_56-PROBLEMA DE DESCONEXIÒN MAVIC 2 DESPUÉS DE ACTUALIZACIÓN 0510 en ESPAÑOL -...png
    987.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2019-10-21 19_48_38-PROBLEMA DE DESCONEXIÒN MAVIC 2 DESPUÉS DE ACTUALIZACIÓN 0510 en ESPAÑOL -...png
    2019-10-21 19_48_38-PROBLEMA DE DESCONEXIÒN MAVIC 2 DESPUÉS DE ACTUALIZACIÓN 0510 en ESPAÑOL -...png
    920.8 KB · Views: 5
"Well I did say: Revise the RTH section of the manual ??"
Yes, but only DJI can revise any section or all of the manual.
However we can review any section or all of the manual.

Reactions: tgdiebolt
"Well I did say: Revise the RTH section of the manual ??"
Yes, but only DJI can revise any section or all of the manual.
However we can review any section or all of the manual.
Thankyou for your concern that I might not know how to use the English language.
Revise has more meanings that you're aware of.

Anyone can revise the RTH section of the manual.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929