DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lots of Mavic's being sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren6270

Reactions
Not sure what it's like round your neck of the woods but where I come from (London England) I have noticed a significant rise in the amount of used Mavic's being sold. On Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree etc a lot of people are selling.

Do you think people are getting fed up with the issues/updates/headaches etc?.

I have to admit for the first time in eight months since owning mine the thought of another update this week fills me with dread. They always work eventually, but it always takes a couple of attempts, then you have to re-input all your settings etc. Then what are the chances of issues with the new software? Mine was fine until the last update then I started having the odd disconnection, drift and error messages. I really hope with the constant DJI hijacking, threat of legislation and reduced flying capability this hobby doesn't become more trouble than its worth.

More and more people buy them so even if the percentage of those sold remains stable the total number of units will go up. I don't think the general population cares about the updates to the point where they would sell the drone. And even if they did - rejoice for a deal is to be had ;)

And watch what happens once the Mavic 2 inevitably comes around..

Not sure what it's like round your neck of the woods but where I come from (London England) I have noticed a significant rise in the amount of used Mavic's being sold. On Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree etc a lot of people are selling.

Do you think people are getting fed up with the issues/updates/headaches etc?.

I have to admit for the first time in eight months since owning mine the thought of another update this week fills me with dread. They always work eventually, but it always takes a couple of attempts, then you have to re-input all your settings etc. Then what are the chances of issues with the new software? Mine was fine until the last update then I started having the odd disconnection, drift and error messages. I really hope with the constant DJI hijacking, threat of legislation and reduced flying capability this hobby doesn't become more trouble than its worth.

I think anyone is suddenly ditching their drone, its not due to personal issues, but probably social stigma.
Some people just cant stand to be seen as being anti-social. And for some (family types) people I dont blame them.
I doubt it has to do with the update ****. O btw, Stop updating?

Also I wouldn't buy a MP from Gumtree. Best case scenario, they crashed it/put it down, and it has some quirks now.
Worse case they crashed it, it has an arm whacky glued back on and theres "No returns"
Not insinuating you would. Im just saying. Buying on Gumtree is asking to be raped in same cases.

The number of mavics being sold has increased by 1000% compared to this time last year.
That's because it wasn't on the market this time last year.
Of course there are a lot more mavics being sold now: there are simply a lot more mavics out there.
It's simple math.
The number of used units will continue to increase as the number of new units sold increases.
No mystery here.
It has nothing to do with the firmware/updates/issues or any other aspect of the mavic, positive or negative.

giphy.gif

Usual story, people like the idea of owning one but in reality will never use it much past a couple of flights, much like GoPro's the figure of those that own and never use is staggering!

Reactions: SilverEagle6
It's probably down to the fact that people didn't fully realise the restrictions on where you can and can't fly when purchasing.
I have been into drones for quite some years now, and I have seen many, many people drop out of the hobby once they realise that they just can't fly anywhere they like.
Also - The general publics' view of drones is very negative (thanks 'the media') - which doesn't help.

I think anyone is suddenly ditching their drone, its not due to personal issues, but probably social stigma.
Some people just cant stand to be seen as being anti-social. And for some (family types) people I dont blame them.
I doubt it has to do with the update ****. O btw, Stop updating?

Also I wouldn't buy a MP from Gumtree. Best case scenario, they crashed it/put it down, and it has some quirks now.
Worse case they crashed it, it has an arm whacky glued back on and theres "No returns"
Not insinuating you would. Im just saying. Buying on Gumtree is asking to be raped in same cases.
Social Stigma? Anti Social? It's a flying camera! I don't understand your post at all!

Reactions: dragos28
There could be several reasons why someone would sell their Mavic, but firmware update issues are probably at or near the bottom of the list why.

Reactions: Mavic 57 and Kilrah
Perhaps after the summer season some people are out of cash (holidays) and need to sell.
Some others might just have bough a Mavic for holiday shots and now are dreading the long English winter and sell.
And then there might be those who are gentily coerced by their better halves to sell!

Reactions: dewster and Vilco
The Mavic is "sexy" and exciiting, and has attracted a lot of "general public" people who never had a drone before, don't know what it means but were just excited by the tech and such... a lot if not most of those will realise after a few months that it isn't really their thing and they only took it out a couple of times. No point keeping a cupboard dweller.

Have had several friends in that position. Saw mine, "OMG that's so cool I want one", but then they took it out twice, too "complicated", scary or whatever when you actually have to prepare and fly it yourself instead of just pointing the finger at one you see fly.

Last edited:
Social Stigma? Anti Social? It's a flying camera! I don't understand your post at all!

Sorry, my grammar went on holiday there
I just mean a lot of rich Kuns who brought mavic as a toy may be selling it for various reasons.
It may not be THE reason but ONE of the reasons coud be they are God Fearing Community Folk, who
don't want to be seen as rocking the boat. Can you comprehend that?

edit: You had to be an enthusiast to get close to one last year. They are always in stock now/waiting in the R/C store for anyone looking to "hobby up". So it makes a bit of sense
there wouldbe more on the 2nd hand market

Also what Kilrrah said.

edit 2: Oh i see trayboz has already put that logic forward, my bad lol

Last edited:
It's probably down to the fact that people didn't fully realise the restrictions on where you can and can't fly when purchasing.
I have been into drones for quite some years now, and I have seen many, many people drop out of the hobby once they realise that they just can't fly anywhere they like.
Also - The general publics' view of drones is very negative (thanks 'the media') - which doesn't help.
I think you are right, some of the Mavics on sale have only been used for a couple of hours.

It also may have something to do with the Spark.

I have a couple of times considered selling the Mavic and picking up a Spark, for my use case it is a hard call and a bit of extra cash in my pocket.

I do always end up deciding to keep the Mavic (as I think I would regret changing) but others may not.

The number of mavics being sold has increased by 1000% compared to this time last year.
That's because it wasn't on the market this time last year.
Of course there are a lot more mavics being sold now: there are simply a lot more mavics out there.
It's simple math.
The number of used units will continue to increase as the number of new units sold increases.
No mystery here.
It has nothing to do with the firmware/updates/issues or any other aspect of the mavic, positive or negative.

giphy.gif
Wow, I love people who think their opinions are facts. Ha ha

A lot of people, drop out of the hobby, literally.
'Flown once', me being cynical, means 'crashed once' because even in beginner
mode i was grinning ear to ear my first flight.

I suppose its possible some people dont lurk here for weeks doing research & getting tips
before buying/flying one anymore tho

I think you don't understand, because you aren't really paying attention. You can find 100 posts on this forum from people who say they don't want to fly from their own yard because they're worried with what the neighbors think.
they feel like they have to drive two hours and hide from society to fly.
There is your social stigma and your antisocial!

And for those that want to sell the Mavic because they're tired of keeping up with updates, they're putting the pressure on themselves. That's a choice. I have all the models from p2 and up and have not updated any of them in two years. If you don't mind sacrificing some of the DJI's new attractive flight modes, and your aircraft is functioning properly, there's no need to update. Especially not as soon as you see that update first come out.

The Mavic is "sexy" and exciiting, and has attracted a lot of "general public" people who never had a drone before, don't know what it means but were just excited by the tech and such... a lot if not most of those will realise after a few months that it isn't really their thing and they only took it out a couple of times. No point keeping a cupboard dweller.

Have had several friends in that position. Saw mine, "OMG that's so cool I want one", but then they took it out twice, too "complicated", scary or whatever when you actually have to prepare and fly it yourself instead of just pointing the finger at one you see fly.
So true, to make much use of it you need considerable experience, suitable locations close by and plenty of patience and some ability dealing with video once you get it.
If these aren't all available it will soon seem a good plan to cash in while you can.

I would never sell mine but I can understand why many people might sell theirs. If you live in a typical neighborhood most people soon find out that just placing the drone on your lawn and flying around the neighborhood is not only unpopular but also risky. Should your drone go down on someone's property it's far from certain that you will ever get it back. So as others have said driving to good flying areas becomes the norm. Add to that the need for an extra pair of eyes to watch the surroundings and it soon becomes a bit tedious convincing a helper plus driving an hour or two.

Rob

Reactions: Vasek
The number of Mavics being sold compared to last year is just math. You couldn't get one last year. Now that supply has caught up with demand they are more available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest